Shocker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shocker

Dave_G
01-11-2007, 09:19 AM
So, you know, I never ever liked REM. Their end of the world song annoys the stew out of me and still does.

BUT!

My girlfriend played "Automatic for the People" for me recently.

This is a killer cd, not a bad song on it.

Any of you here like this album as well?

I think REM is a weak band live but man they nailed it on this studio album.

I gotta get it on vinyl!

Dave

noddin0ff
01-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Yep, great album. Still partial to Life's Rich Pageant myself, but AftP is top notch.

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
A great album that I haven't listened to in ages. Think I'll spin it right now. Thanks for the reminder Dave.

Mr MidFi
01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I've been a big fan of theirs forever. I'm one of the few people who bought their debut EP the day it was released. In fact, I'm the guy who talked Peter Buck into buying his first CD player (another story for another day). Possibly my favorite band of all time.

AftP actually took a while to grow on me. But yeah, there are some incredible songs on that disc. And it sounds somewhat different than the rest of their discs, at least to my ears. "Mellow intensity" was how some critic summarized it, and I'd tend to agree.

Yeah...I'll have to dig that one up sometime soon, just like FA.

Slosh
01-11-2007, 01:29 PM
"Find The River" is one of the best songs. . . by anyone, ever (IMO).

NP: Iron & Wine - A Tired Symphony

BradH
01-11-2007, 02:34 PM
This is a killer cd, not a bad song on it.

That's my favorite of theirs after the first two and that first ep. I bailed after Automatic.

bobsticks
01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Like Dave_G I never owned a single REM album, no vehement hatred mind you although I disfavor the "Shiny Happy People" dealio. That was a long time ago, and in my younger years I tended to be much less investigatory. Perhaps I'll have to check it out...