What do you think about this TV with this set up? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this TV with this set up?

gbelous
01-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Sony BRAVIA 40" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8007186&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1155848843724

Sony 900W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System Model: HT-DDW900
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7879548&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat40200050004&id=1149205462671

Sony Progressive-Scan DVD Player with HD Upconversion Model: DVP-NS75H
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7686024&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1134703758434

Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner
http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.asp?box=series280hrDTDVR

The connections for all would be the best I can make them...HDMI, Component, S-Vid for the Tivo. Currently I have basic Comcast Cable, nothing digital or HD so I know that puts limits on the picture quality. But how do you feel about the TV with this set up or should I go for something in 1080?

edtyct
01-11-2007, 07:30 AM
If you don't plan on sitting closer than 5 ft. from the TV, the 720p Bravia is as resolved as a 1080p LCD. Does the Sony have any competition on your short list? Did you arrive at it because it meets your needs better than something else?

I'd be surprised if the DVD player didn't do a creditable job for this price point. At this stage of the game, the various options within price brackets tend to converge around the mean in performance. For a little bit more money, you can get an Oppo, which is now the de facto best buy for both its video and audio qualities, often being compared with players that cost considerably more. I don't know anything about the rest of the components.

gbelous
01-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I like this TV because it's a decent size for the room it's in and has all the connections I need for the components I have .
All of the other components I already own so I'm trying to find a good TV to match. I have a lot of research to do before any decision, so I'm just trying to get some opinions.
I saw this model at best buy and liked its color, clarity and overall display...granted I don't know HOW they have the video feed going to the tv.
But are there any drawbacks to LCD screens or anything to really consider when buying?

edtyct
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Well, abstract profiles will only get you so far. TVs have to be evaluated comparatively on a wide range of factors. But, in general, LCDs are known for their high light intensity, which makes them watchable in a room with some, or a lot of, ambient light, though they can suffer when the lights are off or down in their ability to create a deep black--a hallmark of effective contrast. They often have vivid, and usually inaccurate, primary colors, which can really pop on hi def material. If flesh tones, sky color, and other typical reference points are okay, the garishness of the greens and reds might not matter. The poorer LCDs, for which the Sonys don't qualify, can leave trails behind objects in motion because the refresh rate of the pixels tends to be slow. You have to check this issue out yourself. People have varying sensitivity to it. LCDs also typically have a narrow viewing area. Again, you might want to see how much luster fades as you move to the sides, if this loss of fidelity matters to you. In the Sony's favor, the custom menu is eminently programmable. If you're fussy and industriousness, you can refine the images to a great extent.

gbelous
01-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Okay, yea I have a lot to learn. But thanks for helping. The room it will be in is usually has the curtains closed during the day but for movies I always try to get it as dark as possible. The seating is about 7-8 feet and on an angle. So yeah I have to just look at floor models and see how they compare.
I know I would like to keep it in the Sony family and hopefully flat panel...LCD or Plasma aren't fully decided yet.

gbelous
01-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Would the DVD player I have be better with any kind of tv?
It has playback at 720p and up-converts to 1080i thru HDMI.

Other than that TIVO only has composite and S-Video so nothing too elaborate there.

edtyct
01-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Upconverting DVDs might be a good idea with the Bravia--whether at 1080i or 720p is hard to say--though you may not notice much difference whatever you. I do think that you'd want to use HDMI from a DVD player to the Bravia at any rate for the sharpest picture. One limitation of the Bravia is that it has only one digital input, right? If you upgrade your DVR, cable box, etc., you might well want access to a second HDMI input. Component is certainly a serviceable connection for the time being, but it has its limitations in versatility and ultimately in performance at the highest frequencies on a digital set. At this stage of the game, it might be prudent to build for the future rather than flatter an outdated analog composite and S-video world.

gbelous
01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I agree, The Receiver has two HDMI inputs and one output...they are just pass-thru connections but it would at least let me put two into that and then one into the tv so I don't NEED a TV with two connections...unless I plan to add on sometime, but right now I don't know what else I would even add. HD Tivo is out of my price range for the time being so I'll have to stick with the s-vid connection from them

edtyct
01-11-2007, 10:41 AM
With a new TV of the sort that you're contemplating, an upgrade to the Comcast HD receiver would seem to be in order. If you're too strapped for cash to make this move, you probably shouldn't be buying a new HDTV. And, by the way, the HD Comcast includes its own DVR. Superiority of Tivo's products notwithstanding, it might allow you to dispense altogether with your old DVR.

gbelous
01-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Good point. At some time in the semi-near future I will probably upgrade to Comcast HD or any other company that offers it, but for now I'm mailny interested in watching DVD's. not HD-DVD, just regular DVD's. Would the upgrade to a new tv be worth it for that?
Plus it would just be nice to have a larger tv no matter what the quality (as long as it isn't grainy and discolored). I'm picky but I also don't need the BEST of everything.

edtyct
01-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Well, if you want a bigger TV to watch your DVDs, I don't suppose that it would make sense to buy an outdated analog TV. And DVDs generally look good on HDTVs. But they don't call these things HDTVs for nothing. At least a portion of your trouble and expense would be wasted if you didn't procure a little HD for yourself before too long. When you do, prepare to be dissatisfied by everything else. Can I make a personal plea? At the very least, get yourself a test disk like AVIA or Digital Video Essentials and learn how to use it. Honestly, I'm not being condescending. It can make a world of difference. Sometimes TVs emerge from the box in a reasonably watchable state, but more often than not, they are programmed with the worst possible settings for viewing at home. Then come the laments about how unimpressive, or just plain bad, standard definition looks on this brand new HDTV that was supposed to be such a big deal, etc. Unless someone tells you that, and how, TVs can be adjusted to optimize their signals, you wouldn't know. Such is the dark underbelly of display technology and sales.

gbelous
01-11-2007, 12:13 PM
No by all means say anything...criticize, advise however you want. And yea Ill look into those products, I definitely know it'll take some adjustment to get it how I like it. I tried every option on my surround sound at least 3 times before I settled on the right sound settings. And youre right...I'm sure SD tv is no comparison to HD so after a while I will want to switch...if its affordable or not!
Basically I'm looking to find a good tv for under 2k and haven't really researched it before today. My girlfriend loves how that Sony looks so I just wanted to see if it was a quality product and what my options are for viewing the stuff I have...with definite consideration for future upgrades.
Even though the Suround sound and DVD player are less than a month old. So I'd like to keep those a while.
Sorry for rambling...but thanks for listening and helping!

edtyct
01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
The Bravias are high-quality LCDs, but if you don't need a flat panel, you can save a little (or a lot of) money, go bigger, and improve picture quality (in at least certain ways) by choosing a rear-projection TV. I realize, however, that a strategy based more on video performance than sexy styling might alienate some people (your girlfriend maybe?). Let us know what happens.

gbelous
01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Good tip but I think it's both to do with we like the look and the size based on how small our room is. I'll let you know how it goes even though it is still a ways off, I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there.
And so far this site has been by far the best for feedback. So thanks!

Eric Z
01-12-2007, 12:32 PM
gbelous, i've seen the sony lcd you're talking about (my neighbor got it a couple weeks ago) and i'm very very impressed. if you decide to go with it, you'll need to adjust the settings a bit to get the most out of the pic (brightness, contrast, color temp, etc.). you can google the tv and you can see some recommendations of settings online- my neighbor used those as a starting place and adjusted from there. i'm actually leaning toward this tv- especially since i've seen it in person in a home setting with hd service. when you see it in the store, it's just not the same- they may not have the settings set correctly, they may not have an hd signal, and you're not going to be watching your new tv in some big store either.

also, the 40" definitely seems much bigger in a home than at the store- especially since in the store you see the 46" and 50" and 55" sets right next to each other.

one more thing- i haven't noticed any of those lcd blurring issues on my neighbor's set- we've pretty much just watched football and i'm thinking we would have seen some of those trailing effects by now. maybe it's more visible with baseball or something like that.

i agree with ed about getting some type of hd signal sometime soon- it's sooo much better than just watching a dvd on an upconverting player. that still looks decent, but no where near hd quality.

also, shop around if you can. best buy doesn't have the best price on this tv. my neighbor bought his from tweete for $1650 a couple weeks ago and i know abt electronics (store in chicago area and online) has it for $1698- if you call them, they can go even lower usually.

good luck and let us know the results.

gbelous
01-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks Eric...Good advise and glad to hear some good review of it. Still not sure how soon I can get it, but I can't wait. Good luck with yours if you get it!
I'll have to shop around for a good price..maybe if it's advertised cheaper Best Buy will match the price as they say they do. (plus I get the points for stuff I buy so 1600 would be a few bucks back on a future purchase)
Thanks!