Is this a good deal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

Palmz
01-11-2007, 01:06 AM
I need to add a center channel and Sub to my set-up. Is $299.99CAD a good deal for a Klipsch RW10 Sub, and 199.99CAD for a Klipsch RC-52 CC? That's about $255 and $170 respectively in USD.

RC-52 here (http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Electronics.htm?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Elect ronics;Electronics;Speakers;Centre%20Channel;Klips ch%20RC-52%20Centre%20Channel%20-%20Black&CS_Catalog=Electronics&CS_RootCategory=Electronics&CS_Category=Centre%20Channel&CS_ProductID=1576214&ProductTab=1).

RW-10 here (http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Electronics.htm?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Elect ronics;Electronics;Speakers;Subwoofers;Klipsch%201 0-inch%20260%20watt%20Subwoofer%20-%20RW10%20-%20Silver&CS_Catalog=Electronics&CS_RootCategory=Electronics&CS_Category=Subwoofers&CS_ProductID=1468156&ProductTab=1).

I would have never thought to look somewhere like this but I have a $200 gift card there.

shokhead
01-11-2007, 07:25 AM
A good deal doesnt make it the right pick.

Palmz
01-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Ok, so what do you mean? I'm more interested in the RC-52 as it seems to be a high-quality speaker with an attractive price. When you are a married university student with a strict budget, mortgage and car payments, some times a good deal on quality products DOES mean it's a good pick.

shokhead
01-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Does it match anything else you have? If it doest,it isnt.No crying.:ihih: We've all been there. I sure didnt just walk into a store and say i'll take those and these. I found what i wanted,saved for 3 years and then waited for a sale.

Carl Reid
01-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Ok, so what do you mean? I'm more interested in the RC-52 as it seems to be a high-quality speaker with an attractive price. When you are a married university student with a strict budget, mortgage and car payments, some times a good deal on quality products DOES mean it's a good pick.

Do you already have Klipsch speakers for your mains and surrounds? If so, then it seems like a good deal to me....

Klipsch has it's own unique sound.... many people like it and many people hate it... so as long as you like it then that's all that matters....

Palmz
01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I actually DO like the Klipsch sound and would eventually build my home theater around these elements. I've just inherited 4 Mission bookshelf speakers (780's and M71's) that are quite decent I think. My plan is to buy some RF floorstanders in the next six months. and move the 780's to the rear and have the four bookshelves as my rear array with the Klipsch stuff up front. Just until I can subsaquently replace the rears with RB-51's or something similar. I just figure if I like the Klipsch "R" line-up and have an opportunity to grab some at a good price, I don't mind mis-matching for a while until my system is complete. I sure as hell won't wait 3 years for the right stuff to be at the right price. By that time I'll have a much more generous income and want to spend 2 or 3 times this much on HT equipment.

Vardo
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM
A friend of mine has the "R" Klipsch line-up, but not the sub.
The center speaker sounds very good. The sub he has is the
newer Klipsch Sub12. The RW10 is well liked by
by almost anyone who has done a review of it on this site.
(15 members)...see reviews section.

All in all I say go for it (especially with a $200 gift cert)
and your planing to buy all Klipsch speakers in the near
future.
The center I believe won't match well with the Missions
(I've owned Missions before, and they had more of a
softer, laid back sound than Klipsch).......vardo

Vardo
01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
PS....you asked if they were good deals. They are. Cheapest
I could find on the internet for the RC-52 CC was $245 + shipping.
And the RW-10, ebay has a bid @ $157 and a buy it now for
$350..vardo

Carl Reid
01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
The center I believe won't match well with the Missions
(I've owned Missions before, and they had more of a
softer, laid back sound than Klipsch).......vardo

I'll second that.... Mission is much softer, more laid back sounding than Klipsch.... generally you'll find that horn speakers like Klipsch and speakers with metal dome tweeters tend to have a much 'brighter' sound than speakers with soft dome tweeters like Mission...

But since you intend to go for an all Klipsch setup eventually..... you may be able to tolerate the difference the difference in sound between your center and mains in the meantime....

Palmz
01-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I thought that the price on the RW-10 and the RC-52 was a fake. Turns out it's all legit. I went to the store today and listened to them both. The RC-52 is a brilliant speaker for that price. It's regular 459.99CAD and it's on for 199.99CAD??? I don't get it and apparently neither did the sales associate. In fact the next speaker below this one which is both smaller and cheaper at SRP was on sale for 299.99CAD. I think I'll buy.

I really quite like the sound of the Klipsch reference line. I can see why people wouldn't like them. Especially if you use your HT for music a lot. He played some silk-dome-tweatered Jamos at the same time and they sounded different but extremely good in quality. I suppose that these types of speakers are more difficult to drive??? I liked the brightness of the Klipsch's for movies which is what I'll mainly be using my system for. Thanks again for the good info.

shokhead
01-13-2007, 05:06 AM
If you like bright then your getting the right speaker,enjoy.

Carl Reid
01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
I really quite like the sound of the Klipsch reference line. I can see why people wouldn't like them. Especially if you use your HT for music a lot. He played some silk-dome-tweatered Jamos at the same time and they sounded different but extremely good in quality. I suppose that these types of speakers are more difficult to drive??? I liked the brightness of the Klipsch's for movies which is what I'll mainly be using my system for. Thanks again for the good info.

Their are multiple reasons why some people don't like bright speakers... most of which really come down to listening preferences.... simply put: what sounds good to me is not always what sounds good to you and vice versa....

Speaker choice also depends heavily on what type of music you listen to....

Though I really like the sound of bright speakers mainly B&W and Klipsch, I'm reluctant to buy either because I've found that in extended listening sessions with bright speakers, I suffer from listening fatigue. Which basically means that I keep feeling the desire to turn the music down or off.... whereas with the more laid back soft dome speakers like Missions I end up turning the music up and listening for very long sessions with no fatigue...

You may have a totally different experience with birght speakers than I do, but just in case you do, you should consider an extended listening session with the Klipschs before you buy....

Most speakers are more difficult to drive than Klipsch.... Horn speakers tend to be highly efficient.... but that is not to say that soft dome speakers are hard to drive, rather Horns are just extremely easy to drive....

Palmz
01-13-2007, 01:53 PM
That's very enlightening, and excellent advice. I think I'll go in this afternoon and spend some time there.

Cheerio!