LEDE Rooms and Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LEDE Rooms and Speakers

Florian
01-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Now that i am getting closer to completing my journey i am battling the next problem for my neverending search for my audio nirvana. The room! While i am saving up for some Tact amps and dedicated powerlines i need to attack this reflection and room problem. The Tact 2.2XP can fix most problems, but not reflections.

So i want to build a LEDE room which is used in most studios, so i have read. I need to modify it a bit for the Grand since its a dipol speaker. I want the LE to be in the half where the Grand sits and the DE should be in my half. I am not going to worry about the ceiling for now since the speaker is a big linesource.

I want to use 2.4m tall panels of fiberglass attached to a wooden frame to absorb the reflections points. I do not have any bass issues and its mostly in the 1KHz range.

Does anyone have any tips?

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Yeah -- do a search on "Ethan Winer RealTraps". You don't necessarily have to buy his products -- he has a whole site and forum dedicated to room treatments, and there's quite a bit about fiberglass and DIY and so on. He is The Man, when it comes to room treatment.

david yost
01-11-2007, 05:24 AM
I am no expert, but I think you would want the speaker end to be dead and the listening end to be live. If memory serves, the Soundlab site has some specific acoustic treatment recommendations for dipole radiators.

Sounds like you have a spectacular system!

David

david yost
01-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Found a link:

http://www.soundlab-speakers.com/tech_setup.htm

JoeE SP9
01-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey Flo! I tried the LEDE route. Of course it doesn't work with the DE end using di-polars. With the DE at the listeners end it seemed to take a certain amount of life out of the room ambience. I ended up with a mix of reflective, dispersive, and absorbtion. I have placed most of these things assymetrically around the room. The exception being the surfaces of first reflection. Those are treated symetrically as speakers are placed symetrically.:idea:

JohnMichael
01-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Back when I had a pair of B & W's I tried the LEDE on the cheap. The speakers were placed in the dead end and I used egg crate foam mattress pads on the walls. Not too attractive but gave some benefits.

Florian
01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the info guys,

its a bit tough with this speaker cause it radiates over such a huge area. I will first build some reflection point absorbers at the front and back and then play with the rest. Any links to DIVA absorbers?