OK, Help me decide on some kinda upgrade [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK, Help me decide on some kinda upgrade

Audioman00
02-11-2004, 11:51 PM
There is money burnin' a hole and need some advice on an upgrade. Most audiophiles don't have a problem I imagine, but I can't decide what to do next.

Receiver--AKAI (upper end late 80's model, when they used to be something:>) 120wpc @ 8ohms 0.03%thd 100db s/n
DAC--Pioneer PD-M650
Cassette--Nakamichi BX-100
Turn table-Kenwood
Mains:AR AR318PS
SPKR cables:Monster XP
Interconnects:Monster standard and Phoenix gold premium

F1
02-12-2004, 12:04 AM
How much money you want to burn and what exactly you want to do, build a home theater or just stereo. What quality you don't like from your system?

bturk667
02-12-2004, 09:22 AM
There is money burnin' a hole and need some advice on an upgrade. Most audiophiles don't have a problem I imagine, but I can't decide what to do next.

Receiver--AKAI (upper end late 80's model, when they used to be something:>) 120wpc @ 8ohms 0.03%thd 100db s/n
DAC--Pioneer PD-M650
Cassette--Nakamichi BX-100
Turn table-Kenwood
Mains:AR AR318PS
SPKR cables:Monster XP
Interconnects:Monster standard and Phoenix gold premium my first suggestion would be to upgrade your reciever. You could do this with either an integrated amp - very cost effective - or with a seperate amp and preamp combo. Again, how much money you have to spend is an important bit of information.

Mr Peabody
02-14-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about 2 channel. There are several places you could spend some money. I maintain you are better off spending the money or making improvements on your front end, where the signal begins. For example, a better DAC will enhance your cd enjoyment. I really don't have a recommendation for you here because I haven't gone with a separate DAC. You could upgrade your turntable and/or cartridge. On the least expensive end the Music Hall, which come with cartridge and start about $300., will be a big improvement over your Kenwood. For under $1,000. you could get a Rega P2 with cartridge. You would not believe how much better a good turntable can sound. I had an old Pioneer for years and used some pretty good cartridges from Stanton and Ortofon but when I heard my Rega I was in shock at the amount of improvement. Even an outboard phone stage would improve your analog listening. I highly recommend the Creek OBH-8 for about $180. Another huge improvement would be going from your receiver to maybe a nice British integrated amp from Arcam or Creek. They may not play as loud but the detail and overall quality will improve immensely. I'm not familiar with your particular model of AR but they are a good brand in the mass market range. The speakers would be the last component I would address. I've tried to make these recommendations reasonable, trying to think what might be the next step up I'd take, or have taken, and not going too deep into your pockets. Of course, there is better gear than what I recommended. Upgrade each area as you can and you will eventually have a whole new level of listening system.