Am I STUPID?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Am I STUPID??

02-11-2004, 11:24 PM
I have been talking to many of my buddies about getting some new sound in my room.
All I have heard so far is:

1) It's a waste of money
2) Why you spending so much on stuff that sits in your room?
3) Spend it on something else

Is there a problem with spending money on something i enjoy?
I'm not a big fan of cars, or fancy gadgets that have no practical value, and it's not like I can't afford better sound. So this is what I'm spending my money on (which isnt much since im a poor student).

So Am I stupid? Is there anything wrong with liking music?

Audioman00
02-11-2004, 11:30 PM
that's what I say!

bturk667
02-12-2004, 09:33 AM
I have been talking to many of my buddies about getting some new sound in my room.
All I have heard so far is:

1) It's a waste of money
2) Why you spending so much on stuff that sits in your room?
3) Spend it on something else

Is there a problem with spending money on something i enjoy?
I'm not a big fan of cars, or fancy gadgets that have no practical value, and it's not like I can't afford better sound. So this is what I'm spending my money on (which isnt much since im a poor student).

So Am I stupid? Is there anything wrong with liking music?Money spent on an audio system, in my opinion, is money well spent! Audio equipment, especially Solid State, can last you a life time. That is a lot of enjoymeny, isn't it?

In my personal experience; the better sounding the system the more enjoyable it is to listen to music. Since it is your money, and you do get enjoyment out listening to music, well, I say go upgrade. Remember one thing; equipment is simply a means to an end. Therefore, no need to go over board. Always keep the music the as your focal point

3db
02-12-2004, 10:10 AM
It depends on your priorites. If its important to you, then no; especailly if you plan on becomming part of the furniture while listening to the music. If you are n't going to use it very infrequrntly and good sound isn't impoetrant, then its stupid. Ignore your friends advice and listen to your heart. It alrerady knows the answer. :)

Woochifer
02-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Just go with whatever you're comfortable with, and whatever a system is worth to you. When I was in college, I just got a two-channel Yamaha receiver, a Sony Discman, an Aiwa tape deck, and a pair of Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers, and I was good to go. A basic system like that sounded a lot better than a boombox or a mini-system, and really wasn't a gigantic step below much more expensive systems. Aside from switching to a CD changer, and adding a decent turntable, that system was basically unchanged and served me well for almost 14 years before I began piecing my home theatre system together. In general, I prefer to spend my extra cash on music and movies, over constantly saving up for new hardware.

There's nothing wrong with liking music, but I would caution that there's a distinction between being a music fan and an audio fan. A music fan will enjoy music regardless of what equipment is used for playback, and upgrading the system is just a way to enjoy the music all that much more. However, just because someone invests a lot of money in an audio system does not mean that they love music. I've known plenty of people over the years that only care about the sound quality (or maintaining the appearance that they care about sound quality), and tailor everything around that. Believe me, there's plenty of gawdawful music out there that just happens to be recorded well, and all too often it winds up in an "audiophile's" collection.

Jimmy C
02-12-2004, 05:45 PM
...floats your boat! Music is part of life, and if a relatively expensive stereo is a vehicle to get you better connected, go for it!

If you averaged out the per day expense of, say, even a $20K rig, it would still only equal the cost a few cups of java each day over it's useful life.

A new car goes downhill fast, a trip to Hawaii (which, by the way, sounds pretty good right about now...) is over in two weeks... it's whatever makes you happy. Don't get me wrong - new cars and big trips are NICE, but also expensive!

I'm nowhere near my hypothetical $20K figure, but derive MUCHO pleasure from the stereo.

And yes, a lot of gear is w-a-y overpriced...

02-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Im wonder if they think its a waste because they were never exposed to as much music.
In my day I did kiddy bands and choirs for no less than 10 years and other music lessons of different intruments. True, we didnt sound all that good, but at least now I know what does! Maybe I should feel sorry for them for not being able to enjoy the same as me.

bubbles
02-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Tell them it's an instant bird puller :D just let the girls know what you've got,and they'll come rushing to room,put your kit on and blow them away,then wahay they'll be blowing you away next thing you know ;)

joel2762
02-15-2004, 05:13 AM
If I hear a good song on an old alarm clock I won't bother turning it up. I just can't enjoy it. Like some people have little boomboxes and a good song comes on, they blast it and it's all distorted and fuzzy but they enjoy it all the same. I don't know how people can do this but I guess they could say the same, why do people need big audiosystems..But I guess they just don't know!....I used to listen to my Sony CMT-SP100 in my room all the time for music, because the old Realistic reciever and Mach 2's just weren't as interesting to me but they sounded good all the same. Then we upgraded to smaller Quest speakers, a while later, got a Sony reciever, then started building a 5.1 system, I rarely listen to music in my room anymore. It's not near as good as the big system. Once you hear big ya can't go bacK!...Also a system I enjoy is my basement system. A Grundig Studio (forget the rest of the model) a very old Sony Cd PLayer, I had to route through the internal tape deck connector (6 pin) and a pair of speakers I built myself. I like the surround sound, but sometimes I like to go down there and crank some music. It's great. Yep after all that useless info, I say a big audio system IS worth it. And it doesn't even have to be big! A pre-amp, two power amps, two tower speakers and a sub, you're in business! Go with what you think!