running infinity kappas 6x9's w/out an amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : running infinity kappas 6x9's w/out an amp

kjc
01-10-2007, 03:40 AM
i need help.:confused5:
i want to set up a new system witout going overkill.i keep getting different answers to my same questions.i have a 96 grand-am,(6x9@110 rms rear),and (4x6@60w rms front).i am going to use an alpine hu @ 18 rms.can i use infinity kappas here without an amp,and if i need an amp can someone reccomend a good one with the correct wattage needed.i'm also open for a suggestion on maybe different speakers but i do want quality but not overkill.thank you all and happy listening.:cornut:

powerlord
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
The infinity Kappas sound alot better amped,you will get distortion through your kappas at high volume due to underpowering.It's always good to have more than enough power on tap.A good 4 channel amp will run these very nice,any major brand car audio company makes 4 channel amps.I ran the setup you are talking about with an Orion Xtreme 500.4 which is 50 watts rms at 4 ohms into 4 speakers or 200 watts x2 at 2 ohms by wiring in parallel.Amped always sounds cleaner and louder.

audio_dude
01-13-2007, 08:47 AM
dude, theres a car audio section you know, its hosted on the carreview.com forum...

Mr Peabody
01-13-2007, 09:31 AM
I agree, the Alpine headunit will get you sound from the Kappa's but to get your money's worth out of them you will need an amp. An Alpine V12 series is good. Any of the American amps would be best like Orion, Precision Power etc. I haven't heard Rockford on main speakers in a while, I suspect they aren't as clean. You might look for one of the 4 channel amps with more power to the back than the front and definitely crossover the
4x6's to pull the low frequencies out. The Kappa's sound good but don't use them if you are going to roll down the windows and try to entertain the world, they won't do that, at least without enormous power. You might consider he Kappa 4x6 plates, this will give you a tweeter. On the other hand if you don't use a sub the full range 4x6 may keep better balance to the system's sound. Like mentioned if money is an object at least stick with a name brand amp that will provide close to what their specs claim. I'd avoid Sony. Kenwood is usually a good value, I wouldn't go cheaper than that. Do not buy an Infinity amp! I hear their digital amps are pretty good but I bought a Kappa amp and it was crap. The sound was alright but not nearly as good as I could have gotten for that price. The controls were cheap. It has worked for several years though. My Precision Power amp rated at the same power just stomps the Kappa. I highly recommend Precision (PPI) if you can afford them. They not only slam in the bass but the mids and highs are outstanding, they are my amp of choice for quality car audio.

powerlord
01-13-2007, 09:11 PM
PPI and Orion(same company) are probably the cleanest amps I've ever heard.The old Kicker ZR,ZX,XS line were the shiz also,if you can find em'.

Mr Peabody
01-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Are you sure PPI and Orion are in the same camp? That's the first time I've heard that. The "real" or higher end Phoenix Gold are incredible as well. If ZED is still in business their amps like Hifonics and Autotek were good. It's been a few years since I've done anything with custom car audio.

powerlord
01-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah quite a few companies merged, PPI took Orion over,I was sponsored by Orion in SPL competition,also Kicker.I still hold two state records here in my class from 2002.PPI used to be built in the US.So did US Amps,which are some of the cleanest and are also merged with other companies now and made overseas.It's hard to find quality amps anymore unless you buy older used amps.

BillyB
01-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Agree with the crowd.The Kappa's need some power to sing so if you like to crank your tunes in your car and want clean sound there's not much to think about.I have the Alpine V-12 4 Channel amp in my work van and it's a nice piece.I swear by Alpine products so I can't be of much help in regard to other brands of amps.The Alpine V-12 series is not inexpensive.Good luck with your decision.

powerlord
01-14-2007, 11:29 AM
That brings me back Billy,I used to own an Alpine MRV-1507,now that was a big powerhouse!

Mr Peabody
01-14-2007, 01:01 PM
I guess I have been out of the loop, I can't even call PPI American anymore.

I had an Alpine system in a minivan and the V12 was very clean and seemed to provide the rated power easily, however, the bass response did not compare to a PPI or Orion.

powerlord
01-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Orion,PPI = Cleanest sound,that is if you don't count the McIntosh or Crown car amps.

BillyB
01-14-2007, 02:50 PM
That brings me back Billy,I used to own an Alpine MRV-1507,now that was a big powerhouse!

Absolutely.I can't tell you how many times it has killed my battery while running it at work with the truck not running.I could really use a 2 battery set-up just for this purpose.

Mr Peabody
01-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I heard a McIntosh headunit in a Infinity rep's car but not their amps. They must be either very expensive or picky who carries it, no one in my city has them, that I know of. Mac in a car has come about since McIntosh was bought by Clarion some years back. I have to wonder if Mac car audio is new product or Clarion in disguise.

Car audio was fun in the late 80's, early 90's, when stores hosted real car audio contests and just not and occasional dB drag. Where there were categories for best install, sound quality etc. Any car audio show is rare now.