Looks like Best Buy raised their price on the Insignias... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Best Buy raised their price on the Insignias...

Dusty Chalk
01-09-2007, 03:44 PM
NS-B2111 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&st=insignia+bookshelf&type=product&id=1138085354138)

...or am I doing something wrong?

Bummer, I never got around to getting myself a pair.

emorphien
01-09-2007, 03:46 PM
It's been discussed on various forums. Looks like they wised up to all the buzz about these speakers.

bubbagump
01-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Wow. I thought they might be 50 bucks. I should have bought another pair when they were on sale for 39.00 bucks a few weeks ago.

BillyB
01-10-2007, 02:48 AM
I bought them when they were $45 and they are really surprising speakers.They actually have imaging that belies their ridiculously low price(at around $50).I meant to buy another pair back then too and I didn't even need another pair.I was going to store them in case I blew up the ones I have.One surprising thing about these speakers is how much power they need to drive them.They are not efficient and the carbon fiber woofers take quite a while to burn in.I actually think they're worth the new price as they really are nice looking speakers.Be aware they are quite large for bookshelf speakers.I have them in my garage for my second system and with the covers off people think I have some high end speakers in my garage and I've lost my mind.If they only knew they are best buy Insignias but I usually let them think otherwise as with the black piano gloss face and high tech look they easily fool a novice.They're fun speakers for that reason alone.Buy them because with Best buys liberal return policy how wrong could you go.

kexodusc
01-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Hard to beat at $45 when I got them. The big buzz was because they can be modified to sound pretty good for pretty cheap, really fast. Out of the box I didn't find them all that impressive, but not terrible either. They sounded like a $50 speaker I guess. At $80 - I think I might start looking at other options, especially if you aren't modding them. You're at a point where a little bit more money can get you a lot more speaker.
I'm sure they'll go back on sale someday though.

Jimmy C
01-10-2007, 05:52 AM
...I understand all the hype they are getting. I bought a pair out of curiousity (and possibly boredom), I wanted a cheap garage speaker at the time.

I dunno... the mids are sucked out, the woofer bottoms out, and the cabinet feels (and sounds!) like it's about to explode. HF is "OK", but can get ragged pretty quickly.

Yes, they can put up a big soundscape and image well. Binding posts are nice and they certainly look good for a cheap speaker. I'm not sure I would want to dump any extra money into them, I mean, why try and "fix" them when you could get into an inherently better speaker?

I don't feel the Insignias are "good" by any stretch, but acceptable considering cost. I have to keep telling myself that they are only $50.

They are only $50...

They are only $50...

N. Abstentia
01-10-2007, 08:38 AM
They are great $39 speakers.

They are crappy $80 speakers.

basite
01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
they look like cheap kef's

they don't sell them here, if they did, i'd buy them for my niece, because what she haves now isn't even worth $30

jrhymeammo
01-10-2007, 12:19 PM
I blame everyone for building up the hype. What are we going to do guy? How can we possibly go back to our ol' speakers? NOOOOOoooooo....... I think I'll be okay.

JRA

audio_dude
01-10-2007, 02:37 PM
aw damn, i wanted to get a pair of these.... oh well, i hope they go on sale again!

bubbagump
01-16-2007, 05:30 AM
...I understand all the hype they are getting. I bought a pair out of curiousity (and possibly boredom), I wanted a cheap garage speaker at the time.

I dunno... the mids are sucked out, the woofer bottoms out, and the cabinet feels (and sounds!) like it's about to explode. HF is "OK", but can get ragged pretty quickly.

I tend to agree but they definitely have a use as 'near-field' monitors in a computer system. When I bought them I immediately set them up in a large room and compared them directly to several other speakers I have around the house. They are incapable of filling a room with reasonably accurate sound due mostly to the tweeter design I think. They are a very laid back speaker compared to a pair of Paradigm Atoms for example. The Atoms are designed (I guess) with a very bright high end which is appropriate if you're looking to overcome room acoustic issues and fill a room with sound. In the near field, the Atoms sound harsh and metallic. When compared directly to the Insignias, the Insigs sound warm and lush - almost tube like. They also image like crazy and the larger woofer provides more 'breath' to the sound. The Insigs are fabulous desktop speakers if you have the space.

SlumpBuster
01-16-2007, 07:10 AM
There is a simple reason the price went up: The OEM was tired of Best Buy undercutting it with its own product.

http://www.radiient.com/

"Radiient: A Speaker Company in Need of a Dictionary."

N. Abstentia
01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
There is a simple reason the price went up: The OEM was tired of Best Buy undercutting it with its own product.

http://www.radiient.com/

"Radiient: A Speaker Company in Need of a Dictionary."

Yeah I gots to get me a pair of these "SACD-Capable" speakers so I can play my SACD's. I can't imagine how much I've been missing without SACD-Capable speakers!!!

http://www.radiient.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.32/.f

bobsticks
01-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Ijust went through the manual for my Martin Logans. Nowhere does it say anything about being SACD-capable. I'm extremely upset and am considering calling the Better-Business-Bureau. I feel strangely empty...

Dusty Chalk
01-16-2007, 10:45 PM
You guys are killing me. There's a very simple tweak that will make your speakers SACD-capable. Also works for DVD-A. PM me if you can't figure it out.