Noisy Velodyne Sub worth fixing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Velodyne Sub worth fixing?

michele
01-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone,
A friend gave me a Velodyne HGS-10BG today.
He said the unit makes noise but may be worth fixing.

It is in great condition, however...it does not work (what a friend :) )

When I plug it to the power source it vibrates a little. It sounds like a small engine.

I also notice that the cone does not go in much although it is a smooth motion.

So, is it a keep/fix or toss/forget

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

Florian
01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
An HGS 10 :10:

Fix it....and i am not kidding....fix that sub and erase this thread for ever asking :devil:

Cheers

michele
01-11-2007, 10:06 AM
An HGS 10 :10:

Fix it....and i am not kidding....fix that sub and erase this thread for ever asking :devil:

Cheers
Florian,
I can fully appreciate your enthusiasm however the reviews for that particular unit are just about horrible when it comes to reliability.

I will go to a local shop so at least I will get a proper repair estimate instead of talking up in the air.

Will keep you up to date with the mistakes I will make (he he)

Michele

basite
01-11-2007, 10:34 AM
yes, get it fixed, the reviews are just a little part, that sub will rock your house, i saw one on Agon for $800 (second hand) just to give you an idea of what it's worth...

Greetings,
Bert.

Florian
01-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Oh yes, but the reliability on Apogees sucked too. But they still own all i know :cornut:
And its already broken, so just fix it good!

Grats man

JoeE SP9
01-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Even if you pay to have it fixed you will be on top. Say you spend $200 for repair. You've still got a sub that sells on the used market for $800. All you paid is $200 to have it fixed. :idea:

michele
01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Even if you pay to have it fixed you will be on top. Say you spend $200 for repair. You've still got a sub that sells on the used market for $800. All you paid is $200 to have it fixed. :idea:
First of all, thanks for the replies.
Also, not disrespect on my side. (many of you are experts, me on the other hand just a 47 year old Italian immigrant he he)

I of course agree with all of you that in theory at least, this unit is well worth fixing.
However, we are all making the assumption that the repair will last a bit.

What I mean by that is, Generally speaking, replacing a failing amp with a new but same amp is (in many cases) not really a solution.

I did read somewhere that Velodyne might have addressed some of those issues and put out an updated amp as a result. I am waiting for them to reply and confirm.

btw, I was goofing around earlier and noticed this burned component.
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=2397&cat=500&ppuser=256647

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your input (no point intended)

Michele

JoeE SP9
01-11-2007, 11:33 PM
First of all, thanks for the replies.
Also, not disrespect on my side. (many of you are experts, me on the other hand just a 47 year old Italian immigrant he he)

I of course agree with all of you that in theory at least, this unit is well worth fixing.
However, we are all making the assumption that the repair will last a bit.

What I mean by that is, Generally speaking, replacing a failing amp with a new but same amp is (in many cases) not really a solution.

I did read somewhere that Velodyne might have addressed some of those issues and put out an updated amp as a result. I am waiting for them to reply and confirm.

btw, I was goofing around earlier and noticed this burned component.
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=2397&cat=500&ppuser=256647

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your input (no point intended)

Michele

When troubleshooting the kind of obvious resistor burn out you observed the key to repair is to find what device pulled enough current to burn the resistor. Replacing that component and the resistor will usually solve the problem. Resistors just don't burn up for no reason and replacing only the resistor will not solve the problem only the symptom. When a device is repaired the way I have just described the problem is solved and there are usually no further problems observed. I used to write NPO (no problem observed) on the repair ticket after fixing something. :idea:

michele
01-12-2007, 06:45 AM
When troubleshooting the kind of obvious resistor burn out you observed the key to repair is to find what device pulled enough current to burn the resistor. Replacing that component and the resistor will usually solve the problem. Resistors just don't burn up for no reason and replacing only the resistor will not solve the problem only the symptom. When a device is repaired the way I have just described the problem is solved and there are usually no further problems observed. I used to write NPO (no problem observed) on the repair ticket after fixing something. :idea:
Joe,

I agree 100% with your comment, I need to fix the cause of the problem.
I am waiting to see if this local repair shop can handle this job.

Thanks again.

Michele