Urban Legends live on [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Urban Legends live on

mtrycraft
02-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Interesting quote in this message I just stumbled on:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/96812.html

"This (in)famous quote is one of my favourites:

“Everything that can be invented – has already been invented”, 1899 by Mr. Charles Duell, Patent Office commissioner. "

I am sure many have seen this quote before. Some bring it up from time to time.
Urban legends just never seem to die. Sure like to see some primary source for this :) not speculated ones that it must be so.

There isn't one because it is bogus.

How is this different from some in audio?

kelsci
02-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi Mtry;

I think this guy if he watched the Flintstones would have said that their "automobile" that they used in Bedrock was the forerunner of the big three carmakers.

markw
02-12-2004, 02:52 AM
After all, they still call 'em brake SHOES, probably in honor of Fred's feet.

kelsci
02-12-2004, 11:26 AM
After all, they still call 'em brake SHOES, probably in honor of Fred's feet.

Markw; besides that, Freds feet started the car up and was the engine as well; two footpounds of torque.

Woochifer
02-12-2004, 01:18 PM

“Everything that can be invented – has already been invented”, 1899 by Mr. Charles Duell, Patent Office commissioner. "

Urban legends just never seem to die. Sure like to see some primary source for this :) not speculated ones that it must be so.

Well, it's only a false assumption because that patent commissioner never imagined anyone inventing one-click shopping (for which Amazon did receive a patent). Now that we can order stuff with one click, I don't see any other possible innovations in any human endeavor. Well, unless retailers invent no-click shopping, where stuff gets delivered to us before we even decide for sure whether or not we want something. Maybe the USPS, UPS, or FedEX should patent this idea because I get stuff that I didn't need to order myself delivered to my front door all the time.

zapr
02-14-2004, 11:50 AM

......."Everything that can be invented-has already been invented".......True quote. And still holds true today. Everything that CAN be invented. Quote will hold true in the future also..........Zapr.

Arch
02-14-2004, 12:10 PM
I wonder if all this discussion are speaking in the literal sense or in the conceptual sense.

For example, the concept of a (working, macro scale) time machine has been around in literatures since H.G. Wells, and probably earlier in other disguises. Well, it hasn't been "invented" yet (or perhaps never will).

Which is too bad. If I can only go back in time and say what I should've said to that girl in that crucial moment, many many years ago....