Directv losing the NFL Ticket [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Directv losing the NFL Ticket

Repoman75
01-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Have you guys heard this rumor of Dtv losing the ticket to cable companies (Adelphia and Time Warner?) Specter in the Senate is looking to pass anti trust legislation. Rumor is that this is why Rupert Murdoch sold his stake in Dtv.

Do you guys have anymore info.?? If this is true, I'd be PISSED... and would be looking to break my DTV's contract and go to cable.

jocko_nc
01-09-2007, 09:16 AM
No. I would be really surprised if this were true.

Rather, it seems to me that NFL has gone out if its way to embrace satellite over the traditional outlets, cable and the networks. Isn't that what the whole "NFL Network" was? An effort to bypass the control of the broadcast networks and dabble in direct sales? NFL Network seems to be 100% aligned with DTV.

Also, I heard that DTV is expanding its HDTV cable to more bandwidth than cable can carry. ???.

jocko

Woochifer
01-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Put this one in the "can pigs fly?" category.

Directv's current contract with the NFL to exclusively carry the Sunday Ticket package runs through 2010.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=641794&highlight=

As Jocko mentioned, the NFL is in pissing match with the cable companies right now to try and get them to put the NFL Network onto their basic service tiers (the cable companies have insisted on putting the NFL Network onto their optional digital sports package tiers). In light of that, I can't imagine the NFL giving a lucrative exclusive like Sunday Ticket to the cable companies, when the NFL has been strong-arming them.

The actual rumors buzzing abouts center on MLB's Extra Innings package, which could soon get taken away from the cable companies and become a Directv exclusive if the rumors turn out to be true.

jocko_nc
01-09-2007, 05:40 PM
I could see the NFL launching their own satellites someday...