Reference Quality Media Suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Reference Quality Media Suggestions?

Tranquil-Hegemony
01-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Hi guys I'm new around here. I was just wondering if anybody could suggest some specific DVDs and or CD/SACD media - or anything else that's really good for showcasing a home theatre sound system.

Thanks a bunch for the help. Looking forward to many chats with you guys in the future. Ciao!

Tranquil-Hegemony
01-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Also any DTS Audio discs that are must-haves? I purchased a "Police" DTS Disc a while back and the arrangement isn't exactly terrific - so I guess I can't just assume that a 5.1 channel mix of an album is going to be groundbreaking.

bobsticks
01-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Hey TH,

Here's a short list of suggestions:
1) DVD-A-- Santana~Supernatural
-- Gary Moore~Back To The Blues
-- Diana Krall~Love Scenes
-- Porcupine Tree~In Abaentia

2) SACD -- Sting~Sacred Love
-- John Meyer~Heavier Things
-- Comp~Reggae in Hi-Fi (mixed by Steve Hoffman)

Those are in no particular order and were just the first things that came to my head contingent upon the fact that The Police was your initial choice. If you wander on down the main page a bit, you'll come to "Rave Recordings" where we do most of the discussion on this type of thing. There are a couple of threads dedicated to Hi-rez audio.
Have fun and Welcome to the forum!!

Cheers

PS If you're willing to expand stylistically the Pat Methteny Group's concert dvd entitled The Way Up-Live is one of the best things I've put in my player---scary good video with otherworldly audio. Highly recommended.

recoveryone
01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi guys I'm new around here. I was just wondering if anybody could suggest some specific DVDs and or CD/SACD media - or anything else that's really good for showcasing a home theatre sound system.

Thanks a bunch for the help. Looking forward to many chats with you guys in the future. Ciao!

Glad I actually read this post, from the heading I was affraid you were looking for advice on reference gear. But if your just looking for some CD's DVD's DVD-A and SACD to show off you system I guess I can give a few:

DVD's HT sound:
U571 (first 10min of depth charge scene)
Rules of Engagement (Opening Jungle scene)
SW EP1 Pod Race

CD's:
Earl Klugh Solo Guitar
Steely Dan Two against nature

DVD-A:
: Donald ***n The Nightfly

SACD:
Peter Gabriel Shaking The Tree

Tranquil-Hegemony
01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks so much for your help, Bob! I'll look into those. Cheers!

PeruvianSkies
01-10-2007, 02:05 AM
DVD's
MASTER AND COMMANDER DTS
BLADE II DTS
WAR OF THE WORLDS DTS

SACD's
any of the ELTON JOHNS (esp. Captain Fantastic or Goodbye Yellowbrick Road)
KEANE"s Hopes and Fears, and BECK's Sea Change

N. Abstentia
01-10-2007, 08:40 AM
SACD's:
Anything that says Alison Krauss on it.
Anything that says Porcupine Tree on it.
Pink Floyd-Dark Side Of The Moon

DVD-A's:
Anything that says Donald ***an on it
Yes-Fragile

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2007, 01:34 AM
SACD's:
Anything that says Porcupine Tree on it.Actually, I think they do DVD-A's, don't they?

N. Abstentia
01-11-2007, 11:20 AM
You might be right...I don't remember and I'm too lazy to get up to look. But now that you mention it I think Porky Tree does do only DVD-A.