A good matching speakers for NAD 3020 amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A good matching speakers for NAD 3020 amp

ychousa
01-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi. I bought a NAD 3020 amp online a couple weeks ago after reading bunch of good reviews about the amp. I use a cheap small tannoy monitor speaker set and listen to orchestral music mostly.

What I've found so far is that my system has pretty strong mid range but lacks bass significantly, thus producing a rather brash sound, especially for orchestal music.

The problem might be caused either by NAD or my speaker set, but I think I need to upgrade my speakers first.

I need some advice about good matiching speakers with NAD 3020 without coloration like Tannoy has.

I prefer neutral, uncolored, but rather warm speaker sound with enough bass. My budget is $300 max, and I would prefer buying a vintage speakers because I could get better value with my set budget.

Thanks in advance.

emorphien
01-08-2007, 04:33 PM
You're contradicting yourself there a bit. You can't have a neutral, uncolored speaker that's also warm. It does sound like perhaps your Tannoys just can't produce the lower bass that you'd like. Are you looking for a floorstander or a standmount (bookshelf) speaker? I can't advise what matches well with that NAD. Orchestral music can require a speaker with quite a range to fully reproduce all the nuances and depth some music has.

I guess I should also ask if you're opposed to used speakers? You can sometimes get a lot more speaker for your money if you shop used and choose wisely.

Carl Reid
01-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi. I bought a NAD 3020 amp online a couple weeks ago after reading bunch of good reviews about the amp. I use a cheap small tannoy monitor speaker set and listen to orchestral music mostly.

What I've found so far is that my system has pretty strong mid range but lacks bass significantly, thus producing a rather brash sound, especially for orchestal music.

The problem might be caused either by NAD or my speaker set, but I think I need to upgrade my speakers first.

I need some advice about good matiching speakers with NAD 3020 without coloration like Tannoy has.

I prefer neutral, uncolored, but rather warm speaker sound with enough bass. My budget is $300 max, and I would prefer buying a vintage speakers because I could get better value with my set budget.

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I've found NAD to be a bit weak in the Bass department... but that was a far newer model (The C352) than the classic 3020 that you have... and I have heard a lot of good things about the 3020... so it may have better bass than the 352.... anyway if you like warm sounding orchesta... you might want to check out some vintage B&W's or The Mission 700 series.... I had a Mission/NAD combo for two years... it wasn't bass heavy but it was neutral to slightly warm... though Emorph is right... Neutral and warm are contradictary.... but I assume you mean just slightly warmer than neutral like my old combo....

Good Luck....

emorphien
01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't find modern NADs particularly weak on bass in my listening, but I really can't say you should expect current sound characteristics to reflect on the older models to a great degree.

blackraven
01-08-2007, 10:39 PM
For $300's I would look at the infinity beta 20's or the beta 40 tower speakers for $400. I think they are a great sounding speaker for the price. I hear the axiom M3v2's and M22Ti are nice but have never personally heard them.

I think the beta's have a warm sound that you are looking for with decent bass.

What are you using to play you CD's, a CD palyer of DVD player. Which ever you are using make sure you use an anolog connection vs. digital and you will get a warmer sound.

ychousa
01-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your replies, folks. I've found many people who match NAD with Mission speakers. Just wondering if those two are known to be a good match. My purchase of NAD 3020 was a kind of start point. Since the purchase, I purchased Sony ES CDP-X55ES from ebay last week for better input.

In my first post, I said I prefer neutral, uncolored, but rather warm speaker sound. This might sound contradicting, but I think one's preference might vary depending on the sound quality and budget. I normally prefer uncolored sound, but if a sound is really good to me and on budget, then I would consider the system. I once had McIntosh MC2300 power, C30 pre, and B&W 801 speakers for about 5 years. The sound was uncolored and as you imagine, pretty awesome, but still it was not the exact reporduction of the sound in my mind. That's why I said in that way.

By the way, I was amazed by the sound of Tivoli system the other day. It was a really musical sound to me, especially for classical music. I did some research on Henry Kloss and found he developed some AR, KLH and Advent speakers. If any of those speakers has a taste like Tivoli, but with large capacity, then I would consider buying it unless they poorly match with NAD. Any advice?

Rock789
01-09-2007, 10:10 AM
just curious... other than bass, do you like the sound of your tannoy?
I am not familar with these speakers, but if it is just the bass you are missing, get a sub to cover...

if you are looking for a whole new speaker... used Focal JM Lab Chorus S 706 can be fround for ~ $300-$400 and imo sound great with orchestras and symphonies...
the 707 has a larger woofer and has a bit more bass... I have seen the 707 for ~$400 used, but not often...

basite
01-09-2007, 10:20 AM
i have advents, can't complain, vocals are the sweetest in the house, they aren't produced anymore for a long time, so you'll have to look in used things, mostly found on ebay, then you'll have bass...

but, nad also goes well with focal, you said you wanted a neutral sound and warm sound, those are contradictory, you want either warm, or neutral.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rock789
01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
a lot of people state focal jm labs are bright, but I have to dissagree...
at least after they are used for a wile (suggested 100 hours burn in time) they are neutral imo...

emorphien
01-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't find Focals bright either, although they do have very detailed and extended high frequency response. I think that would be a good choice, Focals go well with modern NAD amps.

blackraven
01-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Missions IMHO are a bright sounding speaker but may be off set by the warm sound of an NAD amp. My local audio store used to sell them an I considered buying a pair years ago.

JGD
01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I used Klipsch Heresy speakers with a NAD 3020 for years. It sounded as good as that amp can sound. With a small amp like that, efficent speakers is the key. You can find these speakers used easily. They sold them from the sixtys until recently. Lots of them on the used market.

Jim

JohnMichael
01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Here is a speaker designed by Henry Kloss.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_bookshelf&item=c1m6bkpr