Can my bass damage my rear projection TV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can my bass damage my rear projection TV?

scottcguidry
01-08-2007, 12:36 PM
I recently purchased a new power subwoofer and I noticed that at moderate volume level (moderate for me loud as hell to everyone else) the screen on my television shakes like a rear view mirror in my car. I know I can turn it up louder but I am afraid that I will damage my TV, 57" projection SONY. My sub is as far as possible for the TV and turning down the volume is not acceptable. My main question is will it damage the TV and is there anyway to insulate the TV.

NAD 3400 intergated amp
Cerwin-Vega AT-12 Floorstanding
Cerwin-Vega CLS-15S power sub

recoveryone
01-08-2007, 01:11 PM
when you say shake do you mean the picture or the whole T.V. if its the picture you may have some type magnetic problem, but if its the whole set you better made sure you have it on a solid base, well at that size it should be standing on its own.

scottcguidry
01-08-2007, 01:54 PM
It is the screen itself. It has a hard plastic (i guess) screen and i vibrates that its not and image flicker or anything the bass shakes the TV itself. Any comment would be appreciated.

recoveryone
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
you must really be cranking it up for the protective screen to shake or it may not be secured in place. try moving the protective screen with your hand lighty to see if you can move it. If you can you will need to find a way to tighten/fill in the gap in the slot it sits in. I've never heard of such a reaction to loud playing but it does make sense. Sound produce waves/vibration and over continued exposer to such activity could result in this problem, Just as prolong exposer to loud noise can effect your hearing. You may have to learn to just turn it down a notch.

scottcguidry
01-08-2007, 02:21 PM
That would be the right way to fix the problem if the television had an exterior protestive screen but it is actually the TV's screen. I do have an extreme amount of bass pressure going on and I know I have alot more because I can only get the volume to the 11 o'clock position before the screen shakes, I know the only fix is probably to turn it down but I was wondering if it would damage the set if I didn't. I love to play it as loud my music as loud as possible, its one of the reasons I live in a rural area.

recoveryone
01-08-2007, 03:10 PM
ok, I thought it had a protective screen. yea you may have to back it down a bit partner. you getting bass from the sub and the towers and if you have wood or tile floors its like adding extra punch to it all. What you may want to look into if feeling the bass is what you like is some bass shakers. They are amp driven drivers that actually shake your chair.

scottcguidry
01-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the bass shaker advise, I guess I'll have to rethink ordering another ClS-15s. If your interested in an inexpensive sub this one goes for around $300 and it puts out more bass than any Velodyne or Def Tech I've ever heard.

Carl Reid
01-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I agree with r-one's advice.... laying off the volume is your safest bet.... but you should really look into whether or not your TV stand is stable enough.... since it could just be that you have a wobbly stand....

scottcguidry
01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
The TV is a free standing rear projection, I guess I'll have to turn it down or repostion the entire setup.