Robyn Hitchcock: Ole Tarantula [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Robyn Hitchcock: Ole Tarantula

noddin0ff
01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Another gift from Santa. This one is not a ‘solo’ album. It is Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3. The Venus 3 is Peter Buck (REM), Scott McCaughey (Young Fresh Fellows – yay!), and Bill Reiflin (Ministry, drums of course).

As you might expect from a pretty solid backing band, the tunes are tight, punchy, and catchy. The album is up-tempo and solid, recalling for me Globe of Frogs and Jewels for Sophia most. But, I rather prefer his more idiosyncratic stuff. This one still has the typical goofy lyrics but feels too one dimensional for me. My Fav’s go toward the albums of the I Often Dream of Trains variety. I thought his more recent Spooked was probably his best album ever…moody, dreamy, absorbing, and quirky.

I just don’t think the music of Ole Tarantula really showcases his lyrical obsessions with body fluids and such as well. It’s good alternative pop. But not a great album by my standards. But if you lean more toward the catchy, beatle-esque Robyn this lies far on that end of the spectum.

bobsticks
01-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I might buy it just to check out the backing band.

noddin0ff
01-08-2007, 01:12 PM
So, I wrote the first bit and then thought, that's kinda harsh I should go listen again. I think the problem for me is that the best parts of the album (for me) are in the last half. I can't quite get into the first few songs and kind of give up. I bet I'd think more highly of it if I started in the middle and looped around. 'The Authority Box' is really good...no clue what he's singing about. Gotta like the closing lines though...go Robyn.

The Authority Box
and the headgrenade
Love is in the blade
Noone ever touches
Everybody watches everyone

When the spoilt child
Hits middle age
Wants to turn the page
The page is stuck with blood
And you know whose blood it is
'That will do nicely'
Step this way sir
After you'

I call your name
but you don't hear me
I call your name
But you're nowhere near me anyway

Sweet 53
My pink is red
Unscrew my head
Failure rips into my 'you're too old for this'
With your vanity on
So dual key
So freedom fries
So Texas vow
You and your wife have teeth alive, now haven't you?
Figure I know your love is nothing personal

I call your name
But you don't hear me anyway

When the sun goes down
I'm a lonely boy
with a lonely kiss
Say what you like about this
But I'll never ever bother you

I'm stepping out of my disease
with a CEO and a budget horn
You just married a guy who didn't know it yet
Nothing wrong with failure