Reissues, degenate vinyl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Reissues, degenate vinyl

Bill K Davis
01-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Where is there a review of the labels that reissue albums? Are RSO, Reprise, MGA, Polydor, or even reissues by the original label any good? I got a used Chuck Berry Great 28 from 1983 on Chess, that sounds unbelievably bad. I'm not talking nuance here.I knew original pressings were better,but this album doesn't even sound good. In the late 70's was anybody making decent vinyl, even original pressings? Is there a good book for rating album quality?

BRANDONH
01-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Where is there a review of the labels that reissue albums? Are RSO, Reprise, MGA, Polydor, or even reissues by the original label any good? I got a used Chuck Berry Great 28 from 1983 on Chess, that sounds unbelievably bad. I'm not talking nuance here.I knew original pressings were better,but this album doesn't even sound good. In the late 70's was anybody making decent vinyl, even original pressings? Is there a good book for rating album quality?

I don't know about a book but here are some links to sites that deal with vinyl only...reviews etc.
http://www.musicangle.com/

http://vinylfanatics.com/

jrhymeammo
01-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Only thing I can tell you is that, I almost always stay away from tapes that has been digitally remastered(80's).

I started a very similar thread about a year ago, and didnt get a single reply. I only know about Blue Note and some Prestige, that's it. It's always nice to know which ones to avoid, but the best thing is to enjoy what you got and be thankful that you acquired it.

Although, I can tell you a couple of reissue labels you should avoid.

SalSoul and 4 Men with Beards......

JoeE SP9
01-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I think we should remember a lot of old pop music was very badly recorded. I just got Hard To Find Hits (advertised on TV) and some of the recordings are truly awful. Others are very good. It's almost like a history of recording as it evolved. :)

Bill K Davis
01-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for trying guys. My conclusion is that except for DCC blowout, which does rate some good issues of records,we are on our own. To me that means first issues , mono, or a recommended label 180 gram reissue are the only sure bets. :6: