Denon DL-301mk2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon DL-301mk2

jrhymeammo
01-08-2007, 01:08 AM
So, it’s been around 50 hours with my new Denon DL-301II. So I feel like it’s about time for a quick review. What I can say about this cart from my exciting DL-110 is that it’s completely different. Like my DL-110 I love it, I love it a lot.
<o></o>
DL-110 produced sound with coloration that I can truly live with. I do not have any personal experience with exotic carts so I cannot say too much, but I believe every audio gear have their own sound/characteristics/color. To me the 301 has more neutral sound than any carts I’ve played with. Since this is my very first go with a low output MC cart, I cannot comment against others. But I dont feel a need for that, since I’m enjoying my music. As I mentioned, this is my first LO MC cart, I never had a need to use my MC output on my VTL TP-2.5. I did fool around with it with my old carts, but never properly. I noticed quite a bit of noise from my phono pre, but after playing around with different cables and placements everything is just the way I like it. I would like to upgrade it to Sutherland Ph3D, EAR 834P, or others. But at this point, I would like to spend my money on vinyl that I’m ecstatic about.

Every since I acquire my new CD/SACD player, I discovered that CDs actually sound REALLY good. I’m not buying everything vinyl, just because I got my great sounding cart. Too me, older recordings will ALWAYS sound better on vinyl but not newer recordings. For newer albums, I will pick them up on a CD or LP all depending on what kinda mood I’m in(assuming SACD is not available). But since I love Jazz from 50s and 60s, I couldn’t be happier with my new DL-301mk2.

I don’t think I can truly recommend this cart for everyone, but if you think you can relate to some of the stuff that I say, then you should at least consider this on the list of carts you will be purchasing in a near future.
<o></o>
specification
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Stylus Type: 0.07mm x 0.1mm special elliptical solid diamond configuration.<o>></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Frequency Response: 20 Hz. - 60 kHz.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Output Voltage: 0.40 mV per channel at 1 kHz.; 5 cm./sec. peak recorded velocity. Output from each channel within 2 dB.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Channel Sensitivity Difference: 1dB or less.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Channel Separation: 28db or more<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]--><st1><st1>Recommended tracking force: 1.2 to 1.6 grams</st1></st1><o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Compliance: 13 x 10<sup>-6</sup>cm/dyne (100Hz).<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Output Impedance: 33 ohms.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Net Weight: 6.0 grams.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Mounting: Standard 1/2" (12.7mm) Mounting Centers.

oh and one more thing....:)

J-Murda
<o>
</o>

basite
01-08-2007, 07:42 AM
thanks for the quick review JRA, i'm experiencing kindof the same with my 103 here, there is more bass, and it's more defined than with the ortofon om-5e, the 5E had plenty of treble, more than i have now with the 103, this is fine, because it's more balanced now, and more defined, although, when there is alot of treble (like drums, and more drums, (the cymbals on drums i mean) and other things like those) give me the feeling that it gets a little too much for the cart, it loses a little bit of his detail, not much, and certainly better than with the om5e, it still is good quality sound though. "single" high frequencies (like Louis armstrong's trumpet) are rock solid and sound really good.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey Bastie.

I was wondering, did your 103 come with a plastic removable stylus protector? I would love to hear this from Squeez, and RoyPhil's 103R also. It would help me decide if I ever get a different deck one day. My cart came with one, and made me sweat alot less when installing it.

royphil345
01-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes, it did come with the protector.

Still enjoying it quite a bit. Have my first few CDs from vinyl made after a few false starts where I wasn't quite happy with the tonearm setup, recording level, etc.... They've passed inspection and I'll be cranking them out now. Will be nice to have some new car tunes and the option of filling the 5-disc changer when it would be inconvenient to flip records and I'm not sitting in the sweet spot anyway. The computer recorded CDs don't sound bad at all. Some of the "magic" is lost, but I think it would probably be much the same recording with better gear. I have all kinds of software for declicking and bringing the "life" back to recordings from vinyl. I may end up trying it out again. Pops do seem to stand out slightly more in the recordings for some reason. Tried these programs in the past and decided not to use them though. The 103R sounds incredibly close to neutral and has a reasonably "airy"' character I wasn't sure I could expect from the spherical stylus. The only slight colorations I hear are obviously characteristics of the phono stage, or just the slight warmth I like in my vinyl. Extremely pleasant to listen to overall. I'm going to have to invest a little more in a phono stage eventually. Think this setup would sound scary good with a nicer one and it'd be a shame to never do it.

Don't know how I got by without the VTA adjustment. Pretty darn obvious when it's a couple hairs off!!! I gotta' say, for the money, I still don't see how you could beat the Technics. Everything's easily and precisely adjustable... speed stability... decent isolation... I shouldn't have let people scare me off buying one for so long... Lovin' it!!!

jrhymeammo
01-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your reply there, compadre.

I dont know what CDP you have, but I would love to hear how your homemade CD-R sounds in your digi system once you get'em all crackin the way you prefer. Man, that was a long sentence. LOL.

emorphien
01-12-2007, 09:36 PM
For newer albums, I will pick them up on a CD or LP all depending on what kinda mood I’m in(assuming SACD is not available).
That'll be an upgrade down the road for me, an SACD capable stereo unit for my stereo. For now though, it's nice to know you've found that CDs really, truly can sound good. I've been enjoying them much more ever since I got my new CD player a year ago. I too buy vinyl depending on mood sometimes, but moreso depending on the type of music. Certain things I think I would prefer the sound I presume CD would give it, while other things I imagine would be better on vinyl, and thus I buy initially based on those criteria although in many cases I eventually wind up with it on both formats.

In any case, I haven't heard the 301mk2, and I'm not planning on getting a new cartridge any time soon, my DL110 is keeping me quite happy. :)

royphil345
01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks for your reply there, compadre.

I dont know what CDP you have, but I would love to hear how your homemade CD-R sounds in your digi system once you get'em all crackin the way you prefer. Man, that was a long sentence. LOL.

My CD players suck right now. Just a DVD player and a cheap Sony 5-disk player hooked up digitally to an A/V receiver / external amp. It sounds as if the converter in the receiver ain't the greatest. The DVD player sounds a little better through the analog outputs I think. The Sony 5-disk sounds extremely horrible unless used only as a transport. The CDs I made sound pretty accurate on my little Monsoon flat panels I use at the computer here. Frequency range on the Monsoons is limited, but the mids are accurate enough to make decent recording monitors. Imaging on the recordings is good, sound is pretty smooth. Bass is probably slightly lacking compared to a "real" CD, but the warm mids keep things smooth and listenable. I tried spending a little money on digital years ago when I bought a Marantz CD 67SE. Thing sounded bright and harsh... sold it. The cheap players were easier on my ears than that thing. Kind of turned me off to digital... Any suggestions for a good CD player with a good built-in converter for not too much $?

After I burn the recordings to disk, I'm saving them as 256kb mp3 files that I can access from the A/V system or here in the bedroom... build palylists... The 256kb mp3s made with a good converter sound surprisingly decent as well. Imaging and detail gets a little weaker...

basite
01-13-2007, 02:13 AM
it has a protector yes, and yes, it made the mounting a lot less stressfull...

protects the whole cart, gotta get myself a 'better' headshell soon, because it's still hard to mount things on this one, and adjusting the cart is even harder...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.