Need TT advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need TT advice

blackraven
01-07-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm looking to get back into vinyl seeing that I have a few hundred LP's stored in my basement.
The TT's that I'm interested in are-

Thorens TD 295 MKIV
Music Hall MMF-5
Project RM-5 and RM6

I tend to favor a semi automatic because my wife & kids will forget to turn off the TT if they use it. The thorens is semi auto but its not a definite must have.

Thanks for any suggestions!

jrhymeammo
01-08-2007, 01:16 AM
I would make sure your new deck will be able to adjust VTA. So, if you get a spinner made by Rega, I would look for some after-market VTA adjuster.

But the main thing I would be worried about would be your family members using your new TT. I suggest giving them a lesson on how to operate a TT, and how to care for vinyl. That would promise best sound in L/T.

Best wishes,
JRA

blackraven
01-08-2007, 03:28 PM
C'mon, there's got to be a few audiopphile fanatics out there that has some opinion on these turntables!

royphil345
01-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I haven't owned any of them...

Word on the street is, the Music Hall MMF-5, Project RM-5 and RM6 are all a good value. All a step up from entry level with a heavier build... All have adjustable VTA... I would probably lean towards the Pro-Jects in this price-range.

I'm not sure about the Thorens. I'd find out if the VTA is adjustable... If not, that would be a deal-breaker for me on a table that expensive. Looks nice enough though... A semi-automatic table sure would be nice to have sometimes. Not too many to choose from these days. Build quality looks similar to many $500.00 tables. The auto functions, electronic speed switching and pretty plinth double the price. Technics SL-1200 MKII could be an option. Happy as a clam with mine. Think it could easily compete with something like the Music Hall MMF-5. Very durable, parts cheap and available, set it and forget it, no automatic functions though...

jrhymeammo
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
For the sake of your cartridge, semi-auto TT sounds tempting. I dont know what TT is popular on this site anymore. But on Stereophile website, MMF5 seems to be caughting all the raves. Denon cart is like a favor of the month on this site, but Grado is loved on other sites. I'm just telling you it's hard to recommend anything anymore. As usual, go with what you like if you can audition them cuz that's what all that matters. Pro-Ject/MH arms are good. They may not work too well with Denon DL-103s and other low compliant carts, but Resonant Freq doesnt mean crap sometimes. To be vague, I would go with the heavieset deck. If I was in your position, I would probably go with MMF5. Good arm, and isolation seems plenty. I'm not so sure about elastic springs between the plinths, cuz I dont like to have anything bouncy between/under my gears. Whatever the case, I strongly recommend getting Speedbox for your MH/Pro-Ject deck.

Are you buying it new? That might be pretty wise, unless you can acquire it used within your driving distance.

JRA

blackraven
01-09-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm leaning to the project RM6. But the thorens is tempting because of semi auto which will protect the cartige needle like you say. I'd like to talk to some one that has a thorens.
I think the project is a better TT though because of its tone arm and the TT itself looks cool.

nobody
01-11-2007, 07:13 AM
I'm a fan of auto stop tables just because I listen to vinyl most of the time and that includes while doing chores around the house and napping on the couch, etc... If I only listened to vinyl while sitting in a chair and being alert, auto stop wopuldn't matter to me. So, I think maybe you should think about how you listen when deciding.

That Thorens table looks nice to me, but is kinda pricy. There are a couple other new auto stop tables available, but not many. And, very few that are aimed at top performance.

If you are thinking auto stop, one that has me curious is the Project Xperience Comfort. I believe I've heard it's not sold in the states, but maybe you could fine one online. It has an auto shut down feature but looks like it still has many of the performance features of the other Project tables and comes in a nice looking wood veneer.

I'm pretty happy with my Thorens TD-190 and I would miss 78 capability. But that one has me curious.

JoeE SP9
01-11-2007, 04:58 PM
If a TT has a regular plinth you can get an "eazy rizer". It is a simple device that raises the tonearm at the end of the LP. It's mechanical and vitrually foolproof when installed correctly. It requires no change in the arm.:idea:

jrhymeammo
01-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Okay, here is what I think you should do.:)

If you know anyone with a TT setup, try playing some of your records and see if they are even worth playing. I say this because I dont know how you have them stored. If you have them stacked flat on top of another... we are going to have to come and hurt you. Cuz that aint right, man. Okay, Im joking.

Are you buying it new?

Assuming you are going to buying new. I see that your budget is around $700-1000. I'm wondering why you do not have Clearaudio Emotion listed in your option. I've read their original Emotion had a bit of problem with RCA phono socket when adjusting VTA. I dont think it would be a problem with their newer version with direct wired Smart Cable.

Whachu think and what are you thinking?

squeegy200
01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
If a TT has a regular plinth you can get an "eazy rizer". It is a simple device that raises the tonearm at the end of the LP. It's mechanical and vitrually foolproof when installed correctly. It requires no change in the arm.:idea:

I did not know what these devices were called. These little devices are invaluable. I've walked away from my listening room many times only to return the following morning. That practice is not an issue when playing DVDs or CDs. However, I've forgotten when playing LPs and I've returned on a few occassions to find the platter still spinning and the "eazy riser" suspending my cartridge/needle away from the delicate vinyl surface.

My table is fully manual so I purchased the "riser" at the suggestion of one of my coworkers when I initially purchased my turntable. That was many years ago. I told the salesman that I wanted one of those and pointed to one of the other tables which had an Easy Riser installed.

I've not seen one for sale anywhere since. Where would one find an eazy rider? Still available?

jrhymeammo
01-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I know exactly what you mean Squeegy. I tried searching for it, but no luck. Sometimes I enjoy taking a nap while listening to records, but we all know what that is like when we wakeup...

basite
01-12-2007, 12:51 PM
never happened to me...

at least (from what you're saying) i think it's better than a tt with a auto arm lift/return (a semi automatic tt in other words...)
my previous one (an old sony) tended to be a little 'overreacting' in doing the return action...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

royphil345
01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately nobody is making one right now. A couple years back, there were two models (The Lift and The Lifter) being sold. There was the Monitor Audio Stylift before that. I think Audio Technica made a real nice one that slowly lifted the arm. They didn't work with all tables, depending on how much room you had for it between the platter and tonearm.

Think your only hope is to find one on eBay now... and outbid me for it... LOL

jrhymeammo
01-12-2007, 01:08 PM
my previous one (an old sony) tended to be a little 'overreacting' in doing the return action....

Getting back to the subject, one of the thing some people may want to help you with might be, "How smooth the cueing and return mechanism is". I say this becuase I trust my shaky hand more than some TTs' auto functions. I'm pretty sure TTs made by Thorens are more than top notch, but may want to find out for yourself. But I still think you should go with the Clearaudio Emotion w/ Smart Cable, and a free Aurum Classic Wood cart. Again, no personal experience.

Check it if you will.
www.elusivedisc.com