What to do? Extra Amp. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Extra Amp.

jocko_nc
01-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Here is the scenario:

I have two subs built around the Dayton Reference 10.00 subwoofer and Dayton 230 watt plate amps. The drivers are fantastic. The amps seem to be fine as well. I am planning a rebuild of the cabinets for strictly cosmetic reasons: I learned a lot the first time around and can do better.

Question. Should I reuse the plate amps or should I go with an external power amp? I do have an "extra" amp laying around: An H/K Citation twenty-two that I liberated from Goodwill. It is a top-of-the-line beast, high current at 200 WPC. Are there benefits to running subs off such an amp? Is it a waste to run subs off such an amp? If I free up the plate amps, I could build two more subs for the heck of it. I have some Cerwin Vega drivers kicking around... On the other hand, that H/K is the foundation of a really kickin' system or could be easily sold. Also, I would prefer to use a component subwoofer EQ versus the controls on the plate amp.

Thoughts?

jocko

Dusty Chalk
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Well, since you have it, go ahead and try it. Once you decide which is better, go with that one, sell off the other.

jrhymeammo
01-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Well, since you have it, go ahead and try it. Once you decide which is better, go with that one, sell off the other.

Seriously, what Dusty said was the best advice we've had on AR.com in months. Well Done there Big Red.

JRA