Audio in St. Louis area [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio in St. Louis area

pkats
01-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I will be in St. Louis, MO for a few days this week. Anyone know of any good audio stores, preferably in the downtown area, where I can audition speakers?

Thanks

mlsstl
01-07-2007, 07:25 PM
There are no audio stores in the immediate downtown area of St. Louis that I know of. The best audio store in St. Louis (my opinion, from a music listener's standpoint) is "Music for Pleasure." They are about 10 or 15 miles west of downtown (Interstate 44, Shrewsbury exit) and have an excellent, low-key knowledgeable staff. Their big speaker brand is Dynaudio.

Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum is another local store. They are about 10 miles west of downtown (Interstate 64, Big Bend exit). They've got some good stuff. We've lost some good 2 channel stores in just the past year or two. Most of the remaining places are more heavily home theater which is where the money is these days thanks to fancy installations.

pkats
01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply mlsstl, I didn't find very much searching the web. The HT trend is definitely hitting hard the last few years.

mlsstl
01-08-2007, 11:43 AM
One other place I forgot is Best Sound. They are about 15 miles west of downtown on I-64, about a mile north on Lindbergh. Their big speaker line is B&W. There is also a place called the Sound Room but they are primarily HT in my experience. Finally, there is a fellow named Wiley Williams who used to own the Speaker and Stereo Store. The storefront is no longer open but I believe he sells out of his home now, so you'd need to call to arrange an appointment. I think he had a bit of a following here in town.