a little help please? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : a little help please?

KERRO
01-07-2007, 05:22 AM
hi folks. well the thing is i have a set of logitech Z5500 but when i listen to music on them there is some bits on the songs (more female vocals) that hurt (ringing noise) ears. i am thinking of buying some other speakers because i hate it. can you give me some advise as i love my music and this just spoiles it bigtime. thankyou

KERRO
01-07-2007, 06:15 AM
anyone??

basite
01-07-2007, 06:19 AM
hi, and welcome to the AR forums,
i think the logitechs are pc speakers, do you use them for your pc or do you use them for something else?
if you use them for the pc, do you use the onboard soundcard? and have you tried with other speakers (like, previous ones you owned) and see if it goes away, if it's still there, it can be your pc...

anyways, new speakers...
Do you want a new pc speaker set or do you want a set of "real" speakers, like a decent bookshelve or a floorstander?
do you want surround or stereo, (I, among alot of others here on the forum recommend stereo for music) bare in mind that when you decide to buy real speakers, you will also need an amplifier/receiver/integrated amp...

also, what is your budget?

Greetings,
Bert.

KERRO
01-07-2007, 07:59 AM
hi, and welcome to the AR forums,
i think the logitechs are pc speakers, do you use them for your pc or do you use them for something else?
if you use them for the pc, do you use the onboard soundcard? and have you tried with other speakers (like, previous ones you owned) and see if it goes away, if it's still there, it can be your pc...

anyways, new speakers...
Do you want a new pc speaker set or do you want a set of "real" speakers, like a decent bookshelve or a floorstander?
do you want surround or stereo, (I, among alot of others here on the forum recommend stereo for music) bare in mind that when you decide to buy real speakers, you will also need an amplifier/receiver/integrated amp...

also, what is your budget?

Greetings,
Bert.thankyou bert. well i do use them for my pc and to watch movies on my xbox 360.they are really good for movies but when i put on some music the sound goes all dull and so forth. with my pc they are connected to a xtreame music sound card it is connected directly, i can also connect them digatally but i need to buy an add on for my pc to do so. would there be that much of a difference with a digital connection. i am a little bit confused at the moment because all my music is on my pc but i want to listen (hear) good quality music. as i enjoy music more then a movie. hope this helps....

basite
01-07-2007, 08:20 AM
for my pc i use creative/cambridge soundworks megaworks thx 550, they also play dull, boring, to bassy, ... compared to my stereo system which i use for music, that's normal with surround pc speaker sets (with alot of stereo pc stuff too, but they don't have much bass so they sound brighter and so), it's also normal that they perform better with movies and games but music needs stereo...

the digital connection would make a difference with real speakers, but not with pc speakers, and if it makes a difference, it should be barely noticable...

if you want to buy new speakers, what is your budget for it?
there are several options, like buying a new surround set, which is more made for music and still performs well in surround, this will most likely not be a home theatre in a box (HTib) solution like you have now (well kindof) but more like real speakers, an A/V receiver and a sub, all bought seperately,
then you have stereo, which IMO is better for music, here you also have several options: a 2.0 system, 2.1 or 2.2 the 2.0 will exist out of 2 speakers and NO sub, the 2.1 is the same, but with a sub, the 2.2 are 2 speakers and 2 subs, but this is not necessarily.

for the amp there are also more possebilities, like a A/V receiver, so you can extend to surround later on, or a stereo receiver or a stereo integrated amp (receiver without the tuner)

for the speakers you can choose between floorstanders and bookshelves.

note that you don't have to replace your pc soundsystem, you can just add the other one to it, like when you decide to go stereo, you can split signal from your soundcard and go to the pc speaker system, and go to the stereo system, or you can use the digital one for one of the 2, you can only use the digital out on your soundcard when you buy a surround (A/V) receiver, the stereo amps don't have digital inputs, they only do analog signal.

Any questions, just ask, but please give a budget, so we can shorten down the possebilities list.

Greetings,
Bert.

KERRO
01-07-2007, 08:40 AM
well i dont really know what budget to say. could i not replace my speakers and keep my sub? would that help no?

basite
01-07-2007, 09:09 AM
well, if you could find speakers that match the amp in your amp... which in your case is 62watts/channel, but i think those watt ratings are quite exaggerated, they may give 82 watt, but not constant...

it would help to replace your speakers, and to keep the sub, and then you can change later on (if you want to)

but which speakers, erm,
you can try wharfedale diamond 9.0/9.1 which come at $170/$200 A PAIR or the slightly more expensive ($250 a pair) monitor audio br1, or maybe klipsch, don't know the prices, nor models though, or paradigm atoms, don't know their price, but they aren't that expensive, think they are like $200 a pair too... but i think you can find them cheaper.

there are lots of speakers out there, i think the best one of the ones i gave are the monitors, but they also are the most expensive, the paradigms are good too (according to lots of peoples opinions, including the ones from Audio_dude, which is also a member of AR)...

Good luck,
all questions are welcome.
Bert.

KERRO
01-07-2007, 09:33 AM
oh nice one bert i really like that monitor audio br1 ones. should (will) thay make my life better?

basite
01-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I heard them, they play really nice for their price, they're not too big, they are rear ported, so you cant place them straight onto the wall, there has to be a little distance (like 6-8" between the speaker and the wall) they seem like a good match, if you get the chance go and hear them somewhere in a shop...
actually, be sure to check out reviews and stuff, and hear them, also hear others...

but they are good speakers, from a respected brand, if you don't mind spending more, you can also check out their silver model, the RS1...
and let us know what you came up with...

Good luck,
Bert.

KERRO
01-07-2007, 10:07 AM
thankyou very much for your help.....