TV upgrade [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV upgrade

powerlord
01-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Well i finally did it,went to circuit city last night and after 2 hours walked away with a Samsung 42in. DLP.I watched it on an HD DVD player and the pic was stunning.I get it home and put a DVD in my X-box that I'm using right now and the pic was way less than I expected,I also have basic cable and on TV the pic is pretty grainy.If I order digital cable will this clear the pic up?I know i need to buy an HD DVD player to have a good pic that way,but what clears up the TV?

drseid
01-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Well i finally did it,went to circuit city last night and after 2 hours walked away with a Samsung 42in. DLP.I watched it on an HD DVD player and the pic was stunning.I get it home and put a DVD in my X-box that I'm using right now and the pic was way less than I expected,I also have basic cable and on TV the pic is pretty grainy.If I order digital cable will this clear the pic up?I know i need to buy an HD DVD player to have a good pic that way,but what clears up the TV?

An HDTV signal is what you need to get a better picture out of your set. My guess is that *standard* digital cable will not look any better than what you are experiencing now (all that it really does is let the cable companies squeeze in a whole bunch of other low quality channels -- and charge you more). That said, if you can get HDTV channels through your cable company as I do, you should see a great improvement over your current experience. These will probably not look as good as the HD DVD you saw, but they can look very good regardless. You could also go the OTA (over the air) route if your set has an internal HDTV decoder. OTA signals can look even better than the HDTV cable ones and they are free. Just add an antenna and you are set.

---Dave

powerlord
01-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Where do I go or who do I ask about OTA? I've never heard of this.And thanks.OK I see I need a DTV set-top reciever for this and an indoor antenna or outdoor.And yes the HDTV reciever is integrated.

drseid
01-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Where do I go or who do I ask about OTA? I've never heard of this.And thanks.OK I see I need a DTV set-top reciever for this and an indoor antenna or outdoor.And yes the HDTV reciever is integrated.

If you have an integrated HDTV receiver, then any ol' outside antenna will do for OTA HDTV (or maybe an amplified indoor one) -- jst connect it to your TV and you are good to go once you position the antenna to receive the HDTV stations available in your area (this assumes you live relatiely close to a place OTA stations are transmitted). In the case of HDTV through cable, the box has its own HDTV receiver, so all you would have needed is an HDTV ready set in that case.

---Dave

powerlord
01-07-2007, 10:56 AM
OK I don't have a cable box,and when my tv says it's broadcasting in HD on that channel I go to setup and I can't access the HD input,my manual doesn't show HD instructions either.I have 2 HDMI inputs.So without a cable box I will need a DT set top box right?

SAEA501
01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Many of the newer sets have HD tuners built into them. The fact that your manual make no reference to HD reception leads me to believe your set set does not have tuners built in.

What you are experiencing really irritates me. These sets are displayed in stores with a 1080i signal and the order takers on the floor don't know enough to explain to customers what is required to make the set look like that when they get it home. Hence, most are thrown into the same trick bag you are in right now. It's not at all right to someone like yourself who has just dropped a fair amount of money on a set and get it home only to be disappointed.

So....it sounds like you are going to need some type of external HD tuner, a good OTA antenna and you'll need to upgrade your cable package to include whatever HD programming they have to offer. Don't waste your time or money on an indoor or set top antenna. The new digital sets are very unforgiving. Poor signal quality is shown to you with unflinching reality.

I am sorry you are having a rough start. The good news is, once set up properly and given a decent source you are in for a real treat.

bobsticks
01-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, my local BB and CC do a good job at hiding the "secondary costs" of getting that smokin' signal that we're all looking for. I've had a couple of friends burned by this too. They use 1080p feeds and upscaling dvd players on everything and just sort forget to mention that many sources will not have the same level of polish.

My impression thus far has been that 25% of the employees don't know, 25% don't care and the other 50% sell computers.

Sorry 'bout the pain in the a$$ but SAE is correct, once you ge it all together it will indeed be a treat.

recoveryone
01-07-2007, 02:12 PM
OK I don't have a cable box,and when my tv says it's broadcasting in HD on that channel I go to setup and I can't access the HD input,my manual doesn't show HD instructions either.I have 2 HDMI inputs.So without a cable box I will need a DT set top box right?

You really didn't offer us much info on what your current setup is other than stating you used an Xbox to view a DVD. To really help us to help you you need to let us know how your system is connected. Now you said the DVD via the Xbox look graining: Is the xbox HD/blue ray ( I don't think so, so it will not preform as the other one did) and how is the Xbox connected: composite, S-video or component. I'm not up on the spec of the Xbox Dvd ability, but I would suggest getting atleast a DV-player that is progressive scan with a video level not less than 50Mhz. And connect it via component or HDMI.

And about your cable, from what you have said it sounds like you connected the T.V. to the standard RF connection, which is the worst level of connection, So yes you need to call your provider and ask for a digital box so you can connect it to your T.V either component or HDMI. Most HD packages only cost about $10-15 added to the monthy bill.

In closing I have to tell you that you were victim of show room AWE, where the picture was feed a in house signal (sometimes even ran off computer HD) and not told what it takes to have such a picture in your home, along with the fact I bet the setting were on high to add to the rich color and deep (which is not good for durability)

powerlord
01-07-2007, 02:58 PM
My set has a built in tuner.The pic from the Xbox is Ok,not HD quality.The salesman didn't bother telling me that there is a HD antenna for this tv that will pick up my local HD signals,I tried a very old pair of rabbit ears.He also didn't tell me that I could buy an HD adapter for my Xbox so that I could watch my DVD's with great quality.So after talking to a tech(whatever) from CC I'm going down and getting the gear I need.I'm not going to pay 150.00 bucks a month for 10 channels out of 100 from my local cable company for HD,I'll stick with local channels and DVD.

recoveryone
01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
One thing you may need to find out is how close you are to your broadcast stations. If your beyond 50 miles your signal will not be easy to pick up. And you will need a roof top antana. And Yes I would agree on not paying $150 cable, I only pay $86 for digital cable with HD all local channels (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS) and I get ESPN, TNT and Discovery HD. All I'm saying is do you homework this time and ask as many question as you can. Nothing worse than having to go back again to buy more gear.

powerlord
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Ok ,my broadcast stations are no more than 10 miles from me,I went back to CC and bought an HD antenna but haven't found an HD broadcast yet.And I bought component cables for the Xbox because I already had the adapter for that.I don't know maybe I'm expecting too much.The picture is nice but I see a grainy pic,everyone else says it's great,but then again they think tv sound is just great also.I tried to set the xbox settings to 720p and can't get it to accept,it wants to stay in standard mode.The antenna I bought for HD has instructions but they are vague to say the least.i hook my cable wire to the cable input on the antenna,then I go from the output on the antenna to the input on the tv,it doesn't say the cable input or the air input.I only get a pic if I connect it to the cable input.I have my component out on my xbox going to DVD component in on the reciever and the audio out from xbox to dvd audio in on reciever,then component video out of the reciever to component video 1 input on tv.Like I said I haven't seen HD yet on it in my room,the pic is better now than it was with component cables,but it's just not wowing me like the LCD's were.

drseid
01-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Ok ,my broadcast stations are no more than 10 miles from me,I went back to CC and bought an HD antenna but haven't found an HD broadcast yet.And I bought component cables for the Xbox because I already had the adapter for that.I don't know maybe I'm expecting too much.The picture is nice but I see a grainy pic,everyone else says it's great,but then again they think tv sound is just great also.I tried to set the xbox settings to 720p and can't get it to accept,it wants to stay in standard mode.The antenna I bought for HD has instructions but they are vague to say the least.i hook my cable wire to the cable input on the antenna,then I go from the output on the antenna to the input on the tv,it doesn't say the cable input or the air input.I only get a pic if I connect it to the cable input.I have my component out on my xbox going to DVD component in on the reciever and the audio out from xbox to dvd audio in on reciever,then component video out of the reciever to component video 1 input on tv.Like I said I haven't seen HD yet on it in my room,the pic is better now than it was with component cables,but it's just not wowing me like the LCD's were.

And you are *sure* your TV has a built in HDTV decoder? It sure sounds like you have an HDTV *ready* set, which as I believe someone already mentioned means you need to buy a decoder (or use an HD Cable or sattelite decoder box that will also do the job). Also I should mention that there really is no such thing as an HD Antenna. It is just a regular antenna that the manufacturer/store has rebadged to sell with HDTVs.

---Dave

powerlord
01-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Here's the tv I bought: Samsung HL-S4266W 42 in. HDTV and I see in my manual instructions on how to use OTA for DTV service but there is no real chapter on HDTV in the manual.

drseid
01-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Here's the tv I bought: Samsung HL-S4266W 42 in. HDTV and I see in my manual instructions on how to use OTA for DTV service but there is no real chapter on HDTV in the manual.

That TV definitely has an HDTV tuner in it. As such, you should be able to get HDTV OTA channels if you are within range of their signals with a standard outdoor antenna. I think the OTA "DTV" your manual talks about is actually OTA HDTV.

---Dave

powerlord
01-08-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks Dave,I just went to Samsungs Q&A about these DLP's looks like I might be a little too critical and impatient with what I bought,the DVD playback with component from my Xbox is pretty good but I think I'll invest in an HD DVD dedicated to movies or go with the Xbox 360 and HD DVD box for an all in one,I watched this set in HD at the store and it was the best I saw in that price range,very brilliant.For a minute there I thought I was gonna have to reek havoc on some CC salesmen! LOL! I specifically asked for a tv in this price range with built in tuner.

Eric Z
01-08-2007, 11:11 AM
My brother has the exact same TV and I think the HD picture is great- especially for the price- usually under $1K for the 42" samsung. You're right about the picture through a non-HD DVD player- it's decent, but definitely not HD quality. I was impressed with the OTA channels- sometimes you have to move the rabbit ears here and there to get the perfect picture, but once you have it set, the pic is pretty darn good.

Were you ever able to get the OTA channels working?

Grandpaw
01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
The way I understand HD channels is that like this.........

A... You have a TV with an HD tuner built in, which means you can tune in HD programs with an outside antenna only.

B... You have a TV with a cable card slot that allows you to get a card from your cable company and tune in the digital channels and all the HD channels that do not have an extra monthly fee. You cannot get HBO, Pay per View or other channels that have an extra monthly charge.

C... You rent a digital box and HD tuner from your cable company and you have access to all channels.

With my cable company the cable card cost $2.95 per month.

If you don't have a cable card slot, then with the cable company I use you need a $9.95 per month digital box and a $19.95 DVR per month to get HD channels.Total extra charge per month is $29.90 to get an HD siginal and picture.

The built in tuners are for over the air only with an antenna.
This is very deceiving to most customers, Jeff

powerlord
01-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I have a digital dish on top of the house,would I be able to use that for OTA?And I still haven't seen a channel offering HDTV yet,maybe tonight something will come on.Another question I had is what setting should I be in IRC,STD,or HRC?Is it STD for standard cable?

recoveryone
01-08-2007, 03:21 PM
is the dish connected? if not I'm not sure how it may act as an antana. You local station should be sending out a signal all the time the diffirence is if the program was taped or being sent HD live. if you have PBS in your area they broadcast HD 24/7. But if you have not even gotten a station at all you have other problems. The tuner will pick up any and all stations, just that the HD ones will look way better and most HD channels will be in the very highband channel area, So I would switch over to each setting IRC,HRC to see if it picks up any thing. But STD mode should have you bring in the local 2-13 channels.

SAEA501
01-09-2007, 12:31 PM
If you mean a dish as in Dish or Direct TV.......then no, this will not act as an OTA antenna. I am curious too why you haven't seen any HD stuff. There are quite a few programs offered in HD from the networks. I watched Two and a Half Men last night in HD, looked great. The show after it was in HD as well. It's pretty apparent the shows are in HD, be kind of hard to miss. House is on tonight, it's offered in HD. There are others I am sure too. You should be receiving HD stuff pretty regularly.