So I got my DVD of Porcupine Tree... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So I got my DVD of Porcupine Tree...

3-LockBox
01-06-2007, 10:02 PM
...I got it used. I received it, pulled it out (the DVD) and put it on...and what played was an Allman Bros concert (a recent and unrecognizable Allmans Bros at that). The packaging and disc labeling said Porcupine Tree, but the content was definately not PT.:incazzato:

Of course I'm gonna send it back but WTF? How the hell does this happen? Maybe its a bootleg outfit or something...:skep:

On a good note, I did receive my Rush Replay DVD...very nice
:5: :7: :6:

bobsticks
01-07-2007, 02:06 PM
...I got it used. I received it, pulled it out (the DVD) and put it on...and what played was an Allman Bros concert (a recent and unrecognizable Allmans Bros at that). The packaging and disc labeling said Porcupine Tree, but the content was definately not PT.:incazzato: :

That sucks in so many ways...

Dave_G
01-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Huh?

That is weird as heck.

The PT dvd isn't that great anyhow, at least to me. Could have been done a lot better.

Get the ABWH dvd instead, LOL!

Dave

basite
01-10-2007, 10:27 AM
that sucks, and then you always ask yourself "why me, why, in god's sake, does that have to happen to me?"

that same thing happens to me alot at school btw, teachers seem to pick me as the first one to do his speaking exercise and stuff...
i hate that,
anyways, hope you'll get the real one soon.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

kexodusc
01-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I dunno, the 2 Allman Bros DVD's I have blow the snot out of the PT DVD...
Could be a blessing...

3-LockBox
01-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I dunno, the 2 Allman Bros DVD's I have blow the snot out of the PT DVD...
Could be a blessing...

Is the fat guy w/ short hair on keys really Greg Allman? Maybe he's wearing a ponytail...really, I'd rather hear a drunk Dickie Betts than someone else singing his parts, even if it is Warren Haynes. Considering how long the band suffered Greg Allman's addictions and bad decisions (re:Cher), Greg's ousting of Betts in 2000 was as sanctimonious as it was self-serving. Makes it hard for me to get into them again. They may as well be Lynard Skynard.

Even if I were prone to want this performance, I can't have it on a PT disc, and there are several points into the performance that suggest this is poorly made bootleg. I will avoid any business with this entity (Wharehouse Deals) in the future.

Mr MidFi
01-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Huh?
The PT dvd isn't that great anyhow, at least to me. Could have been done a lot better.

It works better as an audio-only surround album. Switch the TV to a game or something.

But yeah, if you're gonna do that, you might as well just put on In Absentia and Deadwing and call it a day.

kexodusc
01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Is the fat guy w/ short hair on keys really Greg Allman? Maybe he's wearing a ponytail...really, I'd rather hear a drunk Dickie Betts than someone else singing his parts, even if it is Warren Haynes. Considering how long the band suffered Greg Allman's addictions and bad decisions (re:Cher), Greg's ousting of Betts in 2000 was as sanctimonious as it was self-serving. Makes it hard for me to get into them again. They may as well be Lynard Skynard.

Even if I were prone to want this performance, I can't have it on a PT disc, and there are several points into the performance that suggest this is poorly made bootleg. I will avoid any business with this entity (Wharehouse Deals) in the future.

LOL...you haven't seen the PT DVD yet, have you...

BradH
01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Considering how long the band suffered Greg Allman's addictions and bad decisions (re:Cher), Greg's ousting of Betts in 2000 was as sanctimonious as it was self-serving.

There was no lack of addictions and bad behavior on the part of other members over the years. Sacking Betts, who had become insufferably arrogant, was a band decision, not just Gregg's, and it resulted in their best album since 1974. And if PTree's Nearfest 2000 and XM Radio shows are any indication, I'll take the Allman's Live At The Beacon over Steve Wilson's live work any day of the week. I don't think he's as "progressive" as the Derek Trucks Band anyway.

3-LockBox
01-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I'll take the Allman's Live At The Beacon over Steve Wilson's live work any day of the week. I don't think he's as "progressive" as the Derek Trucks Band anyway.

Anyhoo, I wasn't in the mood for, or expecting, Allman Bros when I popped in my PT DVD. I wouldn't mind having a DVD of an older performance (with Betts), but I want a modern DVD performance of the ABB like I want a modern day Little Feat DVD. Maybe I'll give the errand DVD a longer listen tonight, but if I wind up loving it (or whatever), I'll still have to order it. This DVD stuck in a few places on the first few tracks.

kexodusc
01-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Anyhoo, I wasn't in the mood for, or expecting, Allman Bros when I popped in my PT DVD. I wouldn't mind having a DVD of an older performance (with Betts), but I want a modern DVD performance of the ABB like I want a modern day Little Feat DVD. Maybe I'll give the errand DVD a longer listen tonight, but if I wind up loving it (or whatever), I'll still have to order it. This DVD stuck in a few places on the first few tracks.

All kidding aside, sounds like you took it on the chin in this ebay transaction - I'd be crying foul play here...do the world a favor and be honest and thorough in your feedback. Hey, maybe you can talk them into sending you the next Harry Potter movie early, or a bunch of other bootlegs as compensation.

Dave_G
01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I bet that thing was a dvd-r and they failed in trying to scam.

I love ebay but have accidently bought some boots, Arena and Sparks.

I recently got the new Steve Hackett cd, um, err, uh, it's weak big time, to me. Maybe he has lost his gift. I mean, he can still play and all, but he seems to have run out of ideas.

PT is a different beast. I think they are pretty good and have seen them live, they were pretty hot, but their dvd was a big disappointment to me.

Oh, "they" are reissuing 2000 copies of ABWH if any of you need or want that pup.

Also, the new Galahad dvd simply rocks. Can't wait for their new cd to be released.

Regards,

Dave_Progger

3-LockBox
01-11-2007, 09:38 AM
It wasn't an E-bay entity, it was an Amazon entity; a person who sells thru Amazon, but isn't an Amazon owned subsidary. I have contacted amazon and I will get a refund. An exchange was offered, but I stated in an e-mail that getting a totally different band on a DVD from the one that's labeled is pretty suspicious. Not that I'm all broke up about the legallity of it all, cuz I've done the download thing (though not alot and only to preview) and I've accepted CD-Rs from some of you. And I know I'm taking my chances with used stuff anyway but this is beyond cheesy. It is also entirely possible that the seller (Wharehouse Deals) acquired this through its normal channels w/o checking the content (beyond checking for scratches and obvious damage). Hell, it sat around for a day or two before I checked it out. I suggested to Wharehouse Deals to scrutinize their suppliers, but who knows.

Funny thing is, I was all stoked about showing my buddy a new band (to him) after we had sit watching the Rush DVD and having some brewskies. I was in the kitchen gettin some more beer and he sez, "Oh yeah, I've never heard of these guys before..." and I replied, "there my favorite band right now" and he shoots back, "hey have you heard that other new band, The Eagles?" and I said, "What?" and that's when the Allman Bros music kicked in...I thought at first he pulled a switcheroo, but no.

Mr MidFi
01-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Speaking of that PT DVD and its connection to classic southern rock...

There is a really funny moment towards the end of the disc where Wilson sez, in his humorless droning voice, that they're going to play one more song. And without missing a beat, someone in the crowd shouts "FREEBIRD!!!"

The look on his face is friggin' classic, I tells ya.

3-LockBox
01-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Speaking of that PT DVD and its connection to classic southern rock...

There is a really funny moment towards the end of the disc where Wilson sez, in his humorless droning voice, that they're going to play one more song. And without missing a beat, someone in the crowd shouts "FREEBIRD!!!"

The look on his face is friggin' classic, I tells ya.

I had a buddy in a band a few years back and we used to always threaten to show up at a gig and yell "Freebird!!!" after every song. We actually did once.

BradH
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't mind having a DVD of an older performance (with Betts) but I want a modern DVD performance of the ABB like I want a modern day Little Feat DVD.

What? You make it sound like Hittin' The Note was some kind of 150th Anniversary Unplugged Box Set Hell Freezes Over 401k Reunion situation.

That album is brilliant, their best in almost thirty years, and it never would've happened w/ Betts. Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks in the same band? Yeah, that'll work.

3-LockBox
01-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks in the same band? Yeah, that'll work.

Yeah...like that's gonna happen...

on a serious note, I have been watching this DVD and it has the same problem I find with most live blues sets, there's so much similarity from song to song, you need the lyrics to know what song is half the time. Some blistering guitar work here though.

Yes, I did notice that Trucks was playing some tastey licks and maybe I'll order his DVD. But after hearing an hours worth of ABB just makes me want to hear Dickie Betts. I've considered getting the live from the RRHOF DVD, but I've read luke warm reviews of it. I just love Bett's laid-back guitar work.

FWIW: I was over at Amazon.com today looking for a Johnny Winter DVD and the search brought up other relevant results, like Edgar Winter, but also, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the Depp movie)...Why? Cuz Depp looks like an albino? LOL

N. Abstentia
01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I find it hard to watch Derek Trucks with all his jumping and dancing, the guy is just too hyperactive. He makes Steve Vai look tame and boring. If Trucks would just settle down and concentrate I could probably watch him.

BradH
01-12-2007, 12:56 PM
If Trucks would just settle down and concentrate I could probably watch him.

Yeah, and what's up with all the blood-spewing & fire-breathing?

Re: Truck & Haynes together:

Yeah...like that's gonna happen...

It did happen. Ever since Betts left.

3-LockBox
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM
It did happen. Ever since Betts left.

Duh...I already mentioned Haynes and Trucks in earlier posts. As a matter of fact, I've ordered DT's DVD. Haynes has been with the band longer than that; dating all the way back to their first comeback album, Seven Turns...speaking of which...

Hittin' The Note is brilliant, their best in almost thirty years
I'll have to beg to differ on that one. Seven Turns (1990), Shades Of Two Worlds(1991), and Where It All Begins (1994) were all stellar, with the latter being my favorite.

N. Abstentia
01-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Don't get me started on Trucks & Haynes together. Those guys cover more ground running around in a night than an airline covers in a year.

3-LockBox
01-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Don't get me started on Trucks & Haynes together. Those guys cover more ground running around in a night than an airline covers in a year.

They are very good, together or seperate.

I've now watched both concerts...I like both. I don't understand why the harsh comments on the PT DVD. It was exactly what I thought it was. I like it a lot and it will get a lot of spin in my house...had I ordered the ABB DVD and got, oh say, Bad Company instead, I'd have been just as flumuxed. Not that I dislike Bad Company either, but when you pay for something, you like to get what you paid for. Thank goodness this second attempt to purchase the PT DVD didn't end up being a Molly Hatchet revival or something. Maybe one day I'll pick up that ABB DVD, but until then, the errand DVD goes back.

BTW: Wilson's reaction to the "Freebird!" request was quite funny though.