Whatever Happened to Equilizers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Happened to Equilizers?

EdwardGein
01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Is it just me or are equilizers not used or sold anymore? You know the ones with about 10 or more individual frequency levels. Is it just that receivers are that good now? This is in regards more for audio recordings then regular DVD movies.

bobsticks
01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey EG,

You are correct in that there are not a lot of the old analog eq models out there anymore. From an "audiophile" point of view they add just another link in the chain; an unnecessary addition that negates the purity of the signal. From a utilitarian standpoint, so few of them were any good that it is not a big loss. In my experience many added audible hiss to the signal.

There are, however, several digital eq modules out there like the Behringer unit that gets so much good press around here. These are usually used on subwoofers to eq out
lower bass issues.

Wireworm5
01-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Try Artproaudio.com they make equalizers. I bought a used AltoEqu231 Led at one of our local music stores. From what I can tell its the same model as the Art HQ231. Alto was their old brand name.

Dusty Chalk
01-06-2007, 10:39 PM
They still exist, it's just that they're not as popular as they used to be. So most people who are interested find something from the pro market (usually the Behringer). You can also find equalizers built into some receivers, but they're buried deep in the setup menu.

Also, if you're googling, try spelling it correctly: equalizer.

recoveryone
01-07-2007, 02:29 PM
the main point I see is that EQ's don't support HT (2 channel only) so unless your a 2 channel purest they kinda lost their appeal. I still have one up in a closet (audiosource) try pass it off to my sons, but they did'nt really know how to use since they had a surround sound AR. The ppl I know that still use them are into studio work.

Gerall
01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I used to use an equalizer with my first system. However, it was to straighten out the sound from a crowded cluttered room with speaker placements where I could jam em. With a mid system I now have a room that will accommodate the flatter signal of a non equalized audio path, but I have the room just so, and the speaker placements just so, that I get the sound I want. It was amazing how playing with speaker placement and alignment, the difference in what you hear from the listening area.

kexodusc
01-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Uhhh, dudes - EQ's totally continue to exit in MASS PRODUCTION these days - they've just evolved beyond tone controls and analog graphic eq's of the past.

Walk into your local hi-fi store and you're hard pressed to find a/v receiver these days that doesn't have a manual, and/or PARAMETRIC EQ built right into the auto-setup routine.
And really, that's EQ-ing the way it should be, dial in a frequency, dial in your Q, and attack that problem with precision. (now admittedly some work better than others).

EQ's have probably been responsible for the biggest audible improvements in home theater in the past few years.

Yep, EQ's are definitely alive and kicking. Just a bit different than you remember.

recoveryone
01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
you are Right, I was just following the thread on seperate EQ's, but many of today's AVR do have the EQ built into the DSP settings or even better with the auto mic setups like the Yamaha's and Pioneer use.

P mac
01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Most people didn't know how to use them anyway.They just looked cool.

The Tahitijack
01-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I added one to my first 5.1 system. I believe it was an Audio Control Rialto. EQ controls for FL, FR, Center and Rear L & R. I was a sound tweeker but never quite got to a "final" reference point. I agree that it was, in the end, more of a cool thing to look at, but not worth the cost. I did not notice any noise,degrading of the signal or poor sound quality, but maybe my ears are not as critical as others.

shokhead
01-31-2008, 06:56 AM
Edward, where have you gone?

Rich-n-Texas
01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
The bigger question for me shokhead is... ResidentLoser, WHERE HAVE YOU GONE RESIDENTLOSER???

GMichael
01-31-2008, 07:15 AM
While we're at it, where has shokhead been?

Rich-n-Texas
01-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Good point.

shokhead
01-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Reading and not posting.

RoadRunner6
01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
EQ's are a seldom appreciated and under used tool to help correct room accoustic problems that play havoc with flat frequency response. Regardless of how flat your speakers were in the anechoic chamber that the manufacturer tested them in, they will have lots of peaks and dips in your own room. To me some type of equilization is essential in most systems in most rooms.

Several years back when I owned a small Energy Take 5 HT system (a little jewel of a 5.1 system with a superb 8" sub) It had a common dip in my room in the sub/mains crossover region in the 100-125hz area. I bought the Sony STR-4ES receiver over a Denon and Yamaha because it had a very flexible parametric EQ and also individual tone and EQ's for each channel. I also bought a pro sound type single channel 31 band graphic EQ, the ART 351 to EQ very common humps in the sub's frequency response around 40hz.and 75hz. The excellent Audio Control units were too rich for my blood. A number of other brands besides ART make similar 31 band EQ's (you usually find them at the pro sound dealers). To my amazement the ART 351, that had about 8 sliders or so in the bass frequency range, worked extremely well and added no audible noise or distortion. I ended up with a frequency response of about 29-200hz +/- 2.5db in this critical area, amazing for this little sub. For me the ART was cheaper, simpler and less complicated for that sub than the Berhinger BFD EQ's. SVS subs also sold this exact ART on their website at that time.

With my current Axiom/Outlaw Audio sub system I still use the Sony receiver EQ to improve my mains and I now have a Velodyne SMS-1 digital EQ for the sub. I only have one possible room location for my sub. The Velodyne EQ is expensive but does a great job in reducing several humps. My Sony lacks some of the latest hook up features but is worth the extra wiring efforts for the great EQ in my opinion.

I wouldn't be caught dead without some type of room EQ. Just be sure you concentrate on reducing the humps as needed but only raising the dips when absolutely necessary.

RR6

traugh
02-01-2008, 08:25 AM
I noticed just the other day that my local Radio Shack is selling equalizers. I didn't notice much more about it since I am not in the market and I still have one at home that I am not using.

N. Abstentia
02-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Your system would be the cats ass if you had this:

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/guitar_Amps/ADC_Sound-Shaper_One-Ten-IC_Stereo_Frequency_Equalizer_web.jpg

pixelthis
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
EQ's are a seldom appreciated and under used tool to help correct room accoustic problems that play havoc with flat frequency response. Regardless of how flat your speakers were in the anechoic chamber that the manufacturer tested them in, they will have lots of peaks and dips in your own room. To me some type of equilization is essential in most systems in most rooms.

Several years back when I owned a small Energy Take 5 HT system (a little jewel of a 5.1 system with a superb 8" sub) It had a common dip in my room in the sub/mains crossover region in the 100-125hz area. I bought the Sony STR-4ES receiver over a Denon and Yamaha because it had a very flexible parametric EQ and also individual tone and EQ's for each channel. I also bought a pro sound type single channel 31 band graphic EQ, the ART 351 to EQ very common humps in the sub's frequency response around 40hz.and 75hz. The excellent Audio Control units were too rich for my blood. A number of other brands besides ART make similar 31 band EQ's (you usually find them at the pro sound dealers). To my amazement the ART 351, that had about 8 sliders or so in the bass frequency range, worked extremely well and added no audible noise or distortion. I ended up with a frequency response of about 29-200hz +/- 2.5db in this critical area, amazing for this little sub. For me the ART was cheaper, simpler and less complicated for that sub than the Berhinger BFD EQ's. SVS subs also sold this exact ART on their website at that time.

With my current Axiom/Outlaw Audio sub system I still use the Sony receiver EQ to improve my mains and I now have a Velodyne SMS-1 digital EQ for the sub. I only have one possible room location for my sub. The Velodyne EQ is expensive but does a great job in reducing several humps. My Sony lacks some of the latest hook up features but is worth the extra wiring efforts for the great EQ in my opinion.

I wouldn't be caught dead without some type of room EQ. Just be sure you concentrate on reducing the humps as needed but only raising the dips when absolutely necessary.

RR6

Be very carefull, the audio gods might smite thee.
Really tho, I have played with the idea of an eq in a 2 channel room system, wouldnt try it in a 5.1.
Reason is I had an Alpine grapic eq/amp im a capri I HAD ONCE.
Everybody loved it, and its about the best sounding thing I HAVE EVER HAD.
Would be neat to see what the effects were in a room:1:

Luvin Da Blues
02-04-2008, 04:29 AM
........I had an Alpine grapic eq/amp im a capri I HAD ONCE.
.............and its about the best sounding thing I HAVE EVER HAD.

Well, this explains a lot.

Rock&Roll Ninja
02-04-2008, 02:49 PM
They've been replaced by Audyssey™ automatic systems in HT receivers.

pixelthis
02-05-2008, 02:15 AM
Well, this explains a lot.

Good one.

But you have a car avatar, so you of all people should understand that car audio is sometimes way better than home audio..
My ALPINE SYSTEM COST 1200 US IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES

Would cost at least six grand these days

E-Stat
02-06-2008, 06:42 PM
...wouldnt try it in a 5.1.
I happen to find just the opposite to be true. I run a third octave EQ on the HT's powered subs to flatten the effects of the room with the bass response. No more peaks or nulls below 200 hz. I just ignore the upper 20 sliders. :)

On the other hand, I tried it out on the vintage Advent system run full range. Yuck. Everything became brighter, harder sounding and low level resolution decided to go on vacation.

rw

pixelthis
02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
I happen to find just the opposite to be true. I run a third octave EQ on the HT's powered subs to flatten the effects of the room with the bass response. No more peaks or nulls below 200 hz. I just ignore the upper 20 sliders. :)

On the other hand, I tried it out on the vintage Advent system run full range. Yuck. Everything became brighter, harder sounding and low level resolution decided to go on vacation.

rw

But you're just trying it on the .1
I guess trying it on the front two (L+r) would be okay, but I JUST THINK IT WOULD BE COMPLICATED TO TRY IT ON EVERY CHANNEL, is all.
I gave up on subs, but that might make one work. Thanks:1:

E-Stat
02-07-2008, 06:23 AM
But you're just trying it on the .1
I guess trying it on the front two (L+r) would be okay, but I JUST THINK IT WOULD BE COMPLICATED TO TRY IT ON EVERY CHANNEL, is all.
I gave up on subs, but that might make one work. Thanks:1:
It seems that folks use them for two different purposes: to correct room anomalies and to correct tonal issues with the source. I'm in the former camp. Set up a system for a given room and leave it alone. Ideally, one would be able to do that with room treatments and setup, but EQ has its place.

rw

hydroman
02-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Your system would be the cats ass if you had this:

Yep! I knew i had to have one (back in the Day). Even if my stereo/8track reciever didn't have pre-outs...

I stopped using them. Introduced too much noise... I also had the dolby units as well. [geeze].

sigh.