speaker advice for novice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker advice for novice

JK_Livin22
01-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I am trying to find a pair of floor speakers for around $600 (for the pair, not each) that will serve me well for both music quality and home theatre. So far my research has led me to consider the Polk Audio Monitor 60s and the Boston Acoustics VR1s. I realize that one is a two way and the other is a three way, but I also noticed that the sesitiviy on the Bostons are 93dB compared to 90dB on the Polks. As noted in the subject line, I am a novice and therefore most of the specs don't mean a great deal to me. I realize that the best option would be to go to a store that carried both speakers and listen and compare them. However, I live in a rural area and don't have much access to stores that carry either of these speakers, much less both. My music tastes range from Jazz/Funk (Robert Randolph, Carl Denson, James Brown, etc.) to blues/rock (i.e. the Rolling Stones) to acoustic (J.J. Cale) to alternative (Radio Head). I also enjoy high quality DVD audio (i.e. Kill Bill, Miami Vice, etc.) With that information, could anyone advise me on which of the two aforementioned speakers would most likely satisfy my listening needs. Thanks in advance.

p.s. The Magnepan Magneplanar MMGs have been recommended, and although I'm sure they offer excellent sould quality, I am not neccessarily a fan of planar/ribbon speakers (they have a frail appearance (imho), even if they aren't).

pether
01-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Hello,

You could consider buying second hand (via a hifi-site) too! Then you have much more choice. I had Magnepans but did not like their low end and it had a very small, precise listening position.

I have Epos- ES-11 myself for 15 years now. I am very satisfied with them. Second hand (if you could find them) you could afford them. They have new versions like the ES-12, M 12 and M 12.2. New they will be $ 900. Also you could consider Monitor Audio's Bronze 2, which is a bit cheaper. They are both very good speakers. You have to have stands too for both of them which adds to the costs.

If you want a bit more low end (bass), you could buy a floorstander like Kef Q5 or B & W 602. Their newprice will be in your budget.

As you can see I am a big fan of the English sound. The speakers you mentioned, I don't know. They might as well be good too. Have a listen!

Regards, Peter

JK_Livin22
01-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Tks pether,

I had looked at the B&W's a few years back, but thought they were aroun $500/ea. Maybe I was looking at the 603's instead of the 602's. I was really wanting to find floor speakers so I I'll try and price the 602.5s and see if they have come down any. You mentioned that you are a fan of speakers with an "English" sound. I am infering that would be alluding to the manufacturer. Is there also an "American" or "Japanese" sound? If so, how do they differ; what characterizes each?
Thanks.

Ryukyu
01-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Look at the available offerings at Audio Advisor http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=58.
There are several choices in your price range that have received good reviews from several folks here and at other forums.
In particular there is the Athena AS-F2.2, Energy C 300, and the Wharfedale Diamond 9.4.
They also sell the Boston Acoustics.
I personally have no experience with these, but as I have been researching speakers myself, these names came up quite a bit. The Wharfdales and the Athenas have been said to deliver pretty good bass.
Good luck.

bobsticks
01-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey JK,

From a personal standpoint I will second the KEF suggestion. I have a pair of KEFs in a secondary system that gets frequent usage. You may well find B&Ws to your liking as well.

Instead of focusing on brand recommendations let me suggest this: while you say that you live in a rural area it may be to your benefit to make it into town and check out some live music shows and also some hi-end stores. Two things to remember is that every speaker has tradeoffs/shortcomings, and that every person has an opinion. In the end the only important one is yours.
I would have saved a lot of money and time if, instead of playing "speaker-of-the-month club" I would've gone the route above. By checking out some superior (and unaffordable) systems you can determine what qualities are most important to you and search for those same qualities in affordable speaks.

Good luck, keep us informed, and welcome to the forum!

JK_Livin22
01-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I will be adding a subwoofer a few months later. I understand that price has as much to with marketing as anything, however I am still curious as to what I should take into account when comparing a two way speaker with a three way speaker at the same price point. I mentioned my music preferences in my inital post because I feel that different speakers may be preferred for different music genres. For example I feel that Hip Hop may sound best on speakers with a lot of base, while people who enjoy jazz and blues usually prefer a speaker that delivers more clarity in the mid range and highs. Wanting a speaker that will deliver excellent sound for both music and home theatre purposes, I am not sure if the addition of a subwoofer should affect my consierations regarding the two way vs. the three way speakers. Thanks again for your advice.

basite
01-06-2007, 12:02 PM
how about wharfedale diamond 9.6's? they'll fit nice in your budget, maybe $50 more or so,
or monitor audio bronze reference, the br6? or the br5
b&w's, focal chorus 700 series...

Ryukyu
01-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Can you get any of those brands in a floor standing model for $600 a pair?
Although, if you're adding a subwoofer later on, you can get some really nice bookshelf speakers in the brands that JK_Livin22 mentioned.
Of those, I would recommend the Focal JM Labs Chorus 706V. They image well and they are just smooth sounding.

JK_Livin22
01-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Tks for all the feedback. It would obviously be best if all of your speakers in a HTS were of the same manufacturer and line, but is it absolutely essential for excellent sound quality. Given that it will most likely be a while before I have an SACD player, any music being played would best be listened to in stereo from just the two front speakers anyway. And it is music clarity that is most important to me. My concern is that the subwoofer and center channel speaker in the same line as the front speakers that I am leaning towards purchasing, is substantially more expensive than the sub and center speakers for the other line. Is it unheard of, or highly frowned upon to have speakers from more than one line or manufacturer in your home theatre system?

Carl Reid
01-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Tks for all the feedback. It would obviously be best if all of your speakers in a HTS were of the same manufacturer and line, but is it absolutely essential for excellent sound quality. Given that it will most likely be a while before I have an SACD player, any music being played would best be listened to in stereo from just the two front speakers anyway. And it is music clarity that is most important to me. My concern is that the subwoofer and center channel speaker in the same line as the front speakers that I am leaning towards purchasing, is substantially more expensive than the sub and center speakers for the other line. Is it unheard of, or highly frowned upon to have speakers from more than one line or manufacturer in your home theatre system?

All your speakers do not have to match... the only ones that I would highly recommend matching are the fronts and center speakers.... people rarely match the sub... and the rears are often the cheapest bookshelves from the same manufacturer or from another manufacturer.... So let's say you like B&W.... you might use the 600 series for the two front speakers and the centre and use the entry level 300 series bookshelves as rears and buy some totally unrelated sub (probably off the internet from a direct order manufacturer).

Of the speakers suggested to you so far... my favourites are the Wharfedales and the B&Ws.... since you like several different genres of music I'd also suggesting checking out Mission speakers (if you can find them).... I listen to most genres of music and find them to perfom to my expectations on all genres...

But as was suggested earlier... only your oppinion really matters, so you need to listen to as many speakers as you can and decide...

One last thing, the main difference between bookshelves and floorstanders is bass... even though many people will say "buy a bookshelf and then just add a sub later"... personally I find that most subs sound like total crap for playing music.... subs are usually designed for HT use... which means rattling glass with boomy explosions as opposed to creating tight articulate bass that sounds like a drum etc.... so for a dual HT/Audio system I'd recommend getting a good pair of floorstanders for listening to your cds.... and later if you really need the window rattling explosions for HT.... get a sub....

pether
01-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Tks pether,

I had looked at the B&W's a few years back, but thought they were aroun $500/ea. Maybe I was looking at the 603's instead of the 602's. I was really wanting to find floor speakers so I I'll try and price the 602.5s and see if they have come down any. You mentioned that you are a fan of speakers with an "English" sound. I am infering that would be alluding to the manufacturer. Is there also an "American" or "Japanese" sound? If so, how do they differ; what characterizes each?
Thanks.

The 602-mkIII will be around $ 600. Audition them well before you buy. They have a lot more bass then my Epos, but in all other qualities they are far behind!

The English sound is (was) known as "honest", pure, not exaggerating anything, not aiming for any effects. This was in the "old days" also kind of laid back, dry. Nowadays the English sound is also open and spacious, but without leaving "honesty".

I always owned English brand speakers (Wharfedale, Kef, Epos) with exception of the Magnepans. I also own an English amp and English CD-player. It seems to be my taste.
I think they were kind of inventors of hifi. But do not let this influence you.

Be careful what to buy, especially if you want a sub later on. You could as well be better of with some good standmount speakers. Some have already more (true) bass then you would expect. For your price I would NOT consider 3-way speakers. And then again this is not necessary.

Regards, Peter

emorphien
01-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Can you get any of those brands in a floor standing model for $600 a pair?
Although, if you're adding a subwoofer later on, you can get some really nice bookshelf speakers in the brands that JK_Livin22 mentioned.
Of those, I would recommend the Focal JM Labs Chorus 706V. They image well and they are just smooth sounding.
The 706V is one of the best out there under $800 IMO.

Rock789
01-08-2007, 09:55 AM
when looking for speakers, I auditioned a set of Boston (~$600) at the same place I got my focal jm labs...
I don't recall the exact model (sorry), but I do recall thinking they were a bit muddy, and when I mentioned it, he turned on a pair of focal jm lab Chorus S 714 in the same room... and wow was there a difference!
at the time I think the 714S was just under $700... I do know they can be found used for much less on www.audiogon.com ... (although I haven't been there in a wile...)

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1171669792 there are the 716 S which is what I went with for $575 (free shipping)