A new feature at Vinyl Nirvana...not for the faint of heart:

www.http://www.vinylnirvana.com/ar_gallery_damage.shtml

Dave

elapsed
01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
URL fixed: http://www.vinylnirvana.com/ar_gallery_damage.shtml

jt1stcav
01-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Damn, that is just too sad...I think I'm gonna be sick now.

How can these people be so damn stupid not to properly pack a heavy, yet delicate piece of machinery? All these perfectly good 'tables buying the farm because of plain stupidity on the part of these packers. Then you have the freight carrier gorillas who could care less how a package is supposed to be handled..."fragile" printed on a box means absolutely nothing to these assclowns!

I see it everyday working at a Guitar Center as a warehouse manager...vintage Ampeg or Fender combo tube amps completely busted into kindling wood due to shoddy, flimsy cardboard boxes with nothing but air pillows for packing material; and this is usually a transfer from one Guitar Center store to another Guitar Center for a customer who ordered a priceless, irreplacable vintage guitar amp. You'd think the warehouse employees would be better trained on the proper way to package any delicate, heavy item such as the above, yet I see it almost once every month, sometimes more!

If I have no original cartons/packing material, I pack everything in 2 oversized, heavy-duty dual-ply cardboard boxes with plenty of formed styrofoam scraps I save, plus use plenty of extra cardboard pieces all the way 'round an item for protection from gouges/punctures, and air pillows only as extra fill for empty spaces between odd-shaped wedge monitors or other such items where cardboard/styrofoam won't adequately reach.

I take great pride and care in the packing of items for other stores/customers as if the items were my own, and in the nearly 4 years I've worked for GC as a shipper/receiver, I've yet to ever have a complaint on all the musical instruments/electronics I've shipped all over the country...they've all arrived in excellent condition; some stores and/or customers have later complimented me on the fine job I did in the packing of their gear! Not to be tooting my own horn here, but it only stands to reason to do the job right and keep the customer happy. Even with my own eBay auctions I've received countless compliments from numerous buyers concerning how well my items are packaged once they reach their destinations.

Why do so many others find this so hard to do? I get a lump in my throat everytime the doorbell rings and UPS/FedEx/USPS driver makes a delivery of a piece of audio gear I bought, wondering what kind of condition the contents inside that box will be in...it's enough sometimes to make a grown man cry!

jrhymeammo
01-06-2007, 02:47 PM
That just pisses me off. I think it was broken to begin with, and the seller tried to blame is on the carrier. I just dont trust alot of ads I see on Enay and Agon anymore. But my UPS driver isnt too careful with packages either, and makes me worry sometimes for our fellow audio lovers. That's just sick.
TT buyers must always ask sellers how they are planning to pack it. If they just say, "I'll pack it very well" then that's not gonna cut it for me. Original box and packing helps me makeup my mind also. Always drive and pick it up if that's possible.

Hey Feanor, you didnt happen to be the seller, no? Just kidding
J-Murda

royphil345
01-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah... Been there... done that... and even after you warn the sellers and offer advice...

I'm noticing the once abundant supply of decent used tables is drying up considerably. I'm betting the percentage of those tables destroyed by improper packing would be sizable. A terrible shame...

jrhymeammo's jacket is definitely the cat's pajamas!!!

jrhymeammo
01-06-2007, 04:54 PM
you never told me what "Cat's Pajama" mean. You never responded back to my PM about that. Why are you keeping that secret away from me? Daaaamn yoooou(shaking my fist in the air). I keep getting some ugly websites.

Anyways, I strongly recommend Richard Cheese to anyone who likes today's popular music. I'm not up to date on Radio music at all, but I love it.

I think I'll go to thrift stores 2morrow to see if I can pick up an old disc turner since I have a DL-110 just sitting around.

jrhymeammo
01-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Nevermind, I found out thru a friend tonight. Yeah I agree, my jacket truly is the cat's pajamas. Why do people keep going back to Ebay for a vintage TT? Ebay is the easiest place to get ripped off. I say this, becuase I still think the sellers are just shipping off broken TTs. If you must, it's always a good idea to have them take a specific picture of the unit. That way, they wouldnt be able to pull up some old pictures they have or some pics stolen from websites. Just be creative and who cares if they think you are insane.

Just a thought,

JRA

royphil345
01-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Yeah... I think you're right about some sellers selling broken stuff and blaming shipping damage. One of the damaged tables I received had gummed up controls and the auto mechanism didn't work right. Don't think it would have worked if the table wasn't smashed in shipping. Table was shipped in a suspiciously thin box with no insurance offered of course... Table looked nice in the picture... Doesn't mean it would have worked properly though. Sad thing is... if the idiot didn't smash it... I probably could have fixed whatever was wrong with it and I probably wouldn't have complained...

I'm about done with eBay myself... If someone out there just has to do it... Be VERY VERY suspicious of anyone who won't send the package insured. The Post Office seems to beat the heck out of large packages for some reason. Probably wouldn't buy from anyone not willing to ship UPS or FedEx.

Good luck with your thrift store shopping JRA!!! Hope you find something cool...

Lo-Fi
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all to see smashed units from shipping. I've bought a lot of camera stuff on ebay in the past and seen some amazingly inept packing jobs. :nonod:

trollgirl
01-12-2007, 04:36 PM
...but the Dual TT was insured, and I got a full settlement from the USPS. Seems the platter was simply left in place, and during transport, it took a tour of the box. The phono cartridge survived, and guess where that ended up?!

Another time, I found a Pioneer PL-560 at the local DAV, and nearby on the floor, was a very dead Audioquest moving coil. Oh, if I had just gotten there sooner! The table is great, and I am currently making a home-brew arm for it [photos later IF it works].

Laz

R.S.
01-31-2007, 06:10 PM
I bought a Philips turntable from Ebay that was ruined. Not only did the idiot not separate the platter, he didn't even clamp or tie down the tonearm. Totally ruined. All was not lost, as I now use it as a record cleaner.