Standard Tube Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Standard Tube Question

powerlord
01-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I am having a real hard time with my towers and my standard tube TV,there is green in top left corner and lower right,if I move them farther away it gets worse.My question is will getting rid of the standard tube and replacing it with an LCD fix this problem? A salesman told me LCD TV's are not affected by the magnets.

edtyct
01-06-2007, 05:52 AM
The salesman is right that LCDs aren't affected by magnets, though I'm puzzled by the problem getting worse when you move the speakers further away from the TV. Does the green spead more into the screen but eventually disappear? Move the speakers well out of range and see whether the green globs still remain overnight. Better still, if you can dig up a degausser to use, you'll know a lot more quickly whether magnetic pull on the electron stream is your problem.

powerlord
01-06-2007, 07:21 AM
I turned the TV off for the night,wake up and turn it on,no more green.I'm still going to get LCD,I'm tired of having this problem.

SAEA501
01-07-2007, 04:31 AM
This is a good excuse to replace the CRT with a new digital set. However you can shield your speakers and keep your current set. You can get 1mm think sheets of steel at Home Depot (or the like), cut it to size and place it on the inside of you speaker cabinets on the side facing the TV, or all around the inside depending on the magnet strength. It will take care of this problem. But then of course......no cool new TV.

I am thinking new TV shopping is in your future.

recoveryone
01-07-2007, 02:19 PM
I guess this thread is dead, he got sucker on a new 42" DPL and no gear to support it.