Scratching sound. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Scratching sound.

DelSi
01-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I have noticed a scratching sound coming from my speakers every now and then. It seems to happen to voices coming from the left or right channel never the center. It happens on Dane Cooks Tourgasim, and sometimes on the first season of 24, but not on The Shawshanke Redemption or LOTR. I'm trying to decide if the problem has to do with the speakers the source material or the receiver. I was thinking it might be the receiver because 24 and the dane cook dvd are both two channel, and maybe my receiver has a problem breaking it up into 5.1 where as The Shawshanke Redemption and LOTR are in 5.1.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem.

Wireworm5
01-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes, I've heard this scratching sound that I think you're discribing. In my case it was from having the wave/mp3 strength set to 100% on my computer soundcard. This was overloading my input/outputs with somekind of wave distortion. So if that's what you're doing then back off the strength levels.
You can distort sound waves with equalizers, synths or soundcards and damage amps/receivers and speakers if your not careful.
Just my .02 cents