Total HD - End to the BluRay/HD-DVD war in sight???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Total HD - End to the BluRay/HD-DVD war in sight????

kexodusc
01-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Stumbled upon this link somewhere.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/04/warners_readies_total_hd_disc/

For all I know it's a hoax, but here's to hoping it's not and some progress is being made. Seems to me there's some logic in this type of disc - if most studios are simultaneously releasing flicks in both formats, why not pay the license fees but produce only 1 disc and packaging to keep costs down, and make shelving concerns of retailers easier.

We'll see.

Smokey
01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
That is interesting. In the link it state that Total-HD DVD it is dual-layer disc, with an HD DVD layer on top of a Blu-ray one. So it will play in either format.

But IMO neither of these formats will catch on unless the price of HD players and discs drop to current price of regular DVDs and DVD players.

icarus
01-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Thats a pretty interesting article, but I do question how legit it is, considering that the effect of the blu-ray player is based on its blue laser having it more condensed, were the HD-DVD is still using the red laser.
Unless I got this all wrong, i can't really see this happening

Groundbeef
01-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Stumbled upon this link somewhere.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/04/warners_readies_total_hd_disc/

For all I know it's a hoax, but here's to hoping it's not and some progress is being made. Seems to me there's some logic in this type of disc - if most studios are simultaneously releasing flicks in both formats, why not pay the license fees but produce only 1 disc and packaging to keep costs down, and make shelving concerns of retailers easier.

We'll see.

Heres some info for ya!

http://news.com.com/New+disc+may+sway+DVD+wars/2100-1041_3-6147053.html?tag=nefd.top

Enjoy

kexodusc
01-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Heres some info for ya!

http://news.com.com/New+disc+may+sway+DVD+wars/2100-1041_3-6147053.html?tag=nefd.top

Enjoy

Aha! 2 sources spewing the same stuff...methinks Warner might be one of the folks to watch at CES.

Woochifer
01-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I would be curious to see how this works with multi-layered media, and how seamlessly it works across a variety of different players. One of the biggest technical problems with Blu-ray was getting the dual-layer discs to work consistently, and they only overcame that issue recently. I can't imagine that adding an extra layer of HD-DVD data would help matters. Also, if Total HD limits the discs to one layer of Blu-ray data and one layer of HD-DVD data, then it won't be an acceptable solution either given that the early single-layered Blu-ray discs have gotten mixed reviews for their picture quality.

I also wonder about potential issues with slot loading players, similar to the problems that DualDisc had with getting stuck inside slot loading CD players. The PS3s use a slot loader, and given that they will likely comprise the majority of the Blu-ray players out there for the foreseeable future, this new disc format had better work on a PS3 otherwise Total HD is DOA.

This will definitely be one of the more interesting CES gatherings in a while.

drseid
01-06-2007, 03:43 AM
I would be curious to see how this works with multi-layered media, and how seamlessly it works across a variety of different players. One of the biggest technical problems with Blu-ray was getting the dual-layer discs to work consistently, and they only overcame that issue recently. I can't imagine that adding an extra layer of HD-DVD data would help matters. Also, if Total HD limits the discs to one layer of Blu-ray data and one layer of HD-DVD data, then it won't be an acceptable solution either given that the early single-layered Blu-ray discs have gotten mixed reviews for their picture quality.

Good points, and the same ones many others including myself are wondering too. Either a higher price per disc or single layer only limitatations would be deal breakers for me (unless I have no other options).

Still, it is interesting news and it may be an indicator that the studios think that an early decision in the format war is not likely to happen so they are hedging their bets. The recent announcement of the re-emergence of the LG dual format player at 2007 CES shows a similar feeling on the hardware manufacturer side.

---Dave

ericl
01-10-2007, 01:39 PM
From ABC News:
CES: Do We Have An Answer to the HDVD vs. Blueray Feud? (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=2784854&page=1)
Warner Bros. Next-Gen Hybrid DVD Solutiond Gets Retail Support

JAN. 10, 2007 — LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Time Warner Inc.'s proposed next-generation DVD format, which merges two competing formats on one disc, will be supported by retailers Best Buy Co. Inc., Circuit City Stores Inc. and Web seller Amazon.com, studio executives said on Tuesday.

The endorsement for Warner Bros' solution to the battle for DVD technology between Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray technology and Toshiba Corp.'s HD-DVD could give Warner a leg-up on getting consumers to pay more for new discs that promise better pictures and sound.

The two formats both hold many times the storage capacity of current DVDs, roomy enough for high-definition movies.

L.J.
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
More headaches! As if people aren't confused enough already. I wonder how much one of these are gonna run for, $40-$50?

Owning a PS3 kinda got me leaning toward BR but I really don't care who wins what. Just keep the prices down!

musicman1999
01-10-2007, 02:52 PM
All that dual formats and discs will do is lessen the pressure to end the format war.In the immortal words of the Highlander "There can be only one".

bill

bobsticks
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
To: the illustrious CEOs,CPOs,VPs, et al. of the global electronics industry
cc: Sir Howard,Stevie B., Ideki,etc.

Hey Jackasses,

That got your attention? It's getting to be a little like that parable about the old woman and the snake around here, although I can't tell who's who anymore. I guess that means I'll be the snake in your garden, the veritable carp in your jockey shorts. More on that later.

Let me first introduce myself. I'm the consumer. It seems as if you've lost track of me so I thought I'd remind you. I'm the guy you want to buy your products. No really I am. I'm just an everyday, average workin' class joe who likes his toys. And, y'all are makin' it hard for me to get my toys, dammit. I'm just saying if you throw down with some quality shiznit I might be around to buy it. On the other hand, y'know, I've got other stuff going on and if you decide to give me one more pain in my scaly ass I might just boycott the whole shebang.
I mean really is it that hard. You polecats have got some serious money tied up in thinktanks and market researchers, which are evidently all being directed by a bunch of spazzoid Corkys. How ya like them apples, Jerky? Hey, here's an idea. Make one thing. Make it right.Make it work. Make it reasonably priced. Make like sheep and get the flock out of my way so I can buy it. Stop making twenty-seven versions of the same marginal- increase-in-quality-but-premium-priced-doodad.Stop it.

You know what, never mind. You guys are more concerned about your stock options anyway. Here's two concepts for ya--NetFlix and BitTorrent. Yeah, see it's gonna be me and George Peppard and Richard Dean Anderson and the ghost of Brandon Lee. We're goin' down to NetFlix and we're takin over and we're bringing a wheelbarrow of chewing gum, some duct tape and a package of aluminium foil with us. It's going to be free HD for everybody,see, and we're broadcasting everything sans Copyright Protection,see. I'm talking twenty-four-seven of stolen movies and then the guys at BitTorrent are gonna get a hold of it and--poof--fuggeddabbowdit. It's not gonna be the internet anymore, it's gonna be the HDNet. One big P2P emorpheus blob of digitized, neverending HD movies.

And we're gonna record it all on the new digital chicklit so you don't even get to recoup on secondary media expenditures.

Bite me (cordially)
Robert K. Sticks

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2007, 01:51 AM
I think this (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12760_7-9672294-5.html?tag=txt) might be a better response (a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player from LG Electronics).

kexodusc
01-11-2007, 06:10 AM
I think this (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12760_7-9672294-5.html?tag=txt) might be a better response (a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player from LG Electronics).
Coming in at a mere $1200, it's hard to argue...

bobsticks
01-11-2007, 07:19 AM
wheeww. Gotta stop taking the steroids.

Umm, Dusty, that's 12 hundy for a player with HDMI 1.2, limited firmware upgrades and no cd. Not really much of a "universal"...

kexodusc
01-11-2007, 08:16 AM
wheeww. Gotta stop taking he steroids.

Umm, Dusty, that's 12 hundy for a player with HDMI 1.2, limited firmware upgrades and no cd. Not really much of a "universal"...

It's true, it'd be cheaper to buy separate players for both formats right now, but Dusty's right, if the cost went down it would be a very attractive alternative and a much simpler solution than asking all consumers to dig through for the "Total HD" format version of the movie they wanted to buy or rent.

I shudder to think how much bigger a mess Blockbuster could be carrying 2 or 3 versions of each title...

L.J.
01-11-2007, 08:54 AM
THD......combo players......what a mess! Wonder how long it's gonna take for all this to get sorted out. It's not like HD-DVD & BR or gonna fall off the map once THD shows up. Are we actually gonna have 3 versions of a movie sitting on the shelf at BB/CC? :mad2:

I will only buy THD if it's my only option, otherwise I'll be going with BR.

bobsticks
01-11-2007, 09:13 AM
I shudder to think how much bigger a mess Blockbuster could be carrying 2 or 3 versions of each title...

Well, I'll concede that point. My local Blockbuster is a mess as it is.

My question, or argument as it were, is "How about they leave the price at $1200.00 but actually make a player that does everything a true 'universal' should do?" I mean they've gone through the effort of uniting two different and competing formats so why not a total package. There had to have been some analysts somewhere that could have forseen the consumer demand for a machine that still plays good old fashioned cds, and included it in their one-box solution.

ericl
01-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Article: No truce in sight in high-def DVD war (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070111/ap_on_hi_te/gadget_show_high_def_dvd)

Geoffcin
01-11-2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/storage/news/2007/01/11/Toshiba-Announces-51GB-HD-DVD/p1

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Umm, Dusty, that's 12 hundy for a player with HDMI 1.2, limited firmware upgrades and no cd. Not really much of a "universal"...My point was, it happened. Other manufacturers are sure to follow suit: Oppo, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, et al.