S-Video to Component? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : S-Video to Component?

gbelous
01-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Is there any way to convert S-Video to Component?
My Tivo only has Composite and S-Video connections but my receiver only has Component and Composite connections. What would be the best way to get the best connection?

I know the receivers are for sound but I was going to use it as a filter for video sources and then have one output to the tv (which is only an old composite connection). But still, if I upgrade a TV I'd like to get the best picture from my Tivo possible.

elapsed
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
So.. you're looking to convert S-Video to Component to Composite? And still get the best picture possible from your Tivo? Unlikely :)

It may be time for you to purchase a new receiver and TV. In the meantime just use the composite output on your Tivo and receiver.

gbelous
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I know there are s-video to composite connections available but for that i might as just run the composite. I know I need a new tv but my receiver is so new i havent even hooked it up yet. its the sony ht-ddw900. if i get a new tv i can just run the tivo's s-video straight to the tv and ignore the receiver. I was just curious about any other options.
thanks.

Dusty Chalk
01-03-2007, 03:49 PM
No, I think he's looking to convert S-Video to component. That should be doable, since S-video is basically several cables (component) wrapped together, but other than theory, I don't know nuthin' 'bout this.

edtyct
01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
S-video can be transcoded to component; it happens all of the time in receivers. But it can't be turned into component quality. Component is a color difference format, in which colors are separated from each other and from black/white information before re-combination for display. S-video simply divides chrominance from luminence. It is a low def medium with comparatively crude fidelity, though it surpasses straight composite.

gbelous
01-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah I know the quality wouldn't get passed thru but just to keep the connections from the tivo which has composite or s-video but my dvd player has component. But either way right now I can't worry about that because my TV only has composite in jacks so component is out of the question regardless. Just time to upgrade the tv...darn!

GMichael
01-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Your best bet is to get a new TV with component inputs. But an RF modulator may do what you are looking for while you save up. You can check them out at any Radio Shack, Best Buy or Circuit City.

Rock789
01-05-2007, 09:31 AM
If I understand right, you are asking this question for when you do upgrade your tv, not for your present tv...
right now, just use all composit signals... since your receiver switches composit, and your tv only accepts composit...
for the future, it will be necessary to know if your receiver will convert the composit signal to a component signal... if it does, just run the composit from your tivo... it won't be pretty, but it will save you money in buying an s-vid to component converter....

as you stated, you can just run a s-vid cable straight from the tivo to the new tv... this option would depend on how long the wire run would be...
if it is only a couple feet, go for it... if the wire wraps all around the room, I wouldn't worry about it, but thats just me...

what receiver do you have?
later
Mike

gbelous
01-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I have the Sony HT-DDW900 Receiver.
Yeah, I will wait till I get a new TV to decide the best way to run everything. I heard from someone that the Component does pass the Composite feeds but not the other way around. However since the manual isn't much help in that stuff I'll wait till I hook it up to see if it really works. And as far as the Tivo S-vid to the TV they are right near each other so a 3' cord will do fine. But so far all is well and Composits will have to do the trick for now.

Rock789
01-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Sony HT-DDW900 Receiver (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=SfJ-QUXwcxN84QBu5M90Sgr8D6RlwmPH_F8=?CategoryName=&ProductSKU=HTDDW900&TabName=specs&var2=)

this thing has hdmi but no svid :confused:

gbelous
01-08-2007, 08:26 AM
yeah I know i was wondering the same thing after i bought it. other than that i love it and the sound is great! first night i had a neighbor asking me to turn the bass down.