why does it say PCM on my Reciever [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : why does it say PCM on my Reciever

lilzhenger
01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
when its suppose to have DTS and 5.1 because it says so on the disk/case?

Dusty Chalk
01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
What disk are you listening to, and what layer? Google it, it might be a known problem. Is this the only disk you have this problem with, or others, too?

edtyct
01-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Check the audio settings of your DVD player. You might have it set to output PCM only.

lilzhenger
01-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Check the audio settings of your DVD player. You might have it set to output PCM only.

naw the reciever is on auto, so it automaticly detects it,

edtyct
01-03-2007, 06:06 AM
Yes, but is the DVD player set to output anything but PCM? The receiver might be able to detect signals automatically, but if the DVD sends only PCM, PCM is all that it will detect.

N. Abstentia
01-03-2007, 08:02 AM
naw the reciever is on auto, so it automaticly detects it,

The receiver can't detect something that it never receives.

shokhead
01-03-2007, 09:27 AM
:6: :6:

recoveryone
01-07-2007, 02:58 PM
sounds like a case of the D,DDs

P mac
01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
edyct is right. Change pcm to bitstream.

JoeE SP9
01-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Audio signals on all CD's are encoded using PCM. "Pulse Code Modulation" in and of itself it has nothing to do with DTS or 5.1. A signal could be DTS or 5.1 and it would still be encoded to a CD or DVD using PCM
There are 2 ways to encode analog signals into digital data. Pulse Code Modulation and Delta Sigma Modulation. All A to D conversion uses one of these two methods. Delta Sigma modulation never did catch on.
In a nutshell the difference is that PCM signals are expressed in discrete numbers. 16 bit numbers being the CD standard.
Delta Sigma Modulation uses smaller numbers, as low as 1 bit usually because it only records whether there is a change in the absolute amplitude of the signal.
PCM gives every sample a discrete number. Delta Sigma flags each sample as higher lower or the same as the preceeding sample. Consequently it only has to record a 1 a zero or a minus one. This is of course oversimplified. I believe this is some of what is involved in the SACD audio signal. Sony just calls it Bitstream. :idea:

basite
01-12-2007, 12:14 PM
standard dvd player settings are on pcm, dts doesn't have the pcm option on our cheap dvd player, so it was just bitstream or off, took me quite a while to know why we didn't have dts sound,
then i set them both to bitstream, sound is alot better now...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.