Pics of my new speakers!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my new speakers!!!!!!

GMichael
01-02-2007, 08:53 AM
As many of you know, I have been looking into upgrading my speakers. First I wanted the Maggy MMG's or 12's or 1.6's. Then I wanted the Kefs. Then I wanted the Strata Mini's.
Here is what I ended up spending the money on. They look great. Can't wait to hear them!
Keep going

A little farther

Down

basite
01-02-2007, 09:04 AM
oh crap, GMichael is turning in to a washing machine-o-phile :)

They look great, how big is that woofer? (sarcasm) :p

i bet your wife likes them even more than you like them :cornut:

Greetings,
Bert.

GMichael
01-02-2007, 09:14 AM
oh crap, GMichael is turning in to a washing machine-o-phile :)

They look great, how big is that woofer? (sarcasm) :p

i bet your wife likes them even more than you like them :cornut:

Greetings,
Bert.

The one on the left has a 4 cubic foot woofer. The one on the right has a 7.3.
The washer goes up to 1200 RPM's and has steem cleaning. Runs on 166 kilo-watt hours per year instead of the one we have now that uses over 500. Uses 1.3 gallons of water instead of 4. Plus, because of the 1200 RPM's we won't run the drier for as long, saving even more energy.
The best part? We don't have to pay for them until 2007. The speaker fund is up to $700 now. We will be getting rebates for over $500 total. That will help pay for the insulation, so the speaker money stays where it is.
Too bad the mini's went up by $500 over the weekend. :mad2:

JohnMichael
01-02-2007, 09:25 AM
That is almost as exciting as my just ordering a new duvet and a pair of shams. My duvet is red and gold paisley. Now I am going speaker shopping. My local audio store has reopened and I will see what kind of deal I might receive.

emorphien
01-02-2007, 09:35 AM
I put down a $500 deposit on my new speakers!

I'll post pics of the setup when they're in... whenever that will be. Just to make you feel even more sad GMichael.

GMichael
01-02-2007, 09:41 AM
I put down a $500 deposit on my new speakers!

I'll post pics of the setup when they're in... whenever that will be. Just to make you feel even more sad GMichael.

It won't make me sad. Maybe a little jealous. Maybe even a lot jealous if you bought my mini's. But not sad. I'll be happy for you, I promise.
What did you order?

GMichael
01-02-2007, 09:43 AM
That is almost as exciting as my just ordering a new duvet and a pair of shams. My duvet is red and gold paisley. Now I am going speaker shopping. My local audio store has reopened and I will see what kind of deal I might receive.

Let us know what you get. And don't forget to post pics of your speakers and your duvet.

basite
01-02-2007, 09:54 AM
i think he ordered totem rainmakers, or so, i'm sure about the totem thing,

anyways, save on for the mini's Michael, and maybe save a little more and buy something even better....

in the meanwhile, enjoy the sound of your new washing machine...

keep it spinning
Bert.

emorphien
01-02-2007, 09:57 AM
i think he ordered totem rainmakers, or so, i'm sure about the totem thing,
I did. I kept coming back to them after hearing other things. I'd love to hear the Strata Minis but for my room size and current living situation (grad student in an apartment) something like the Rainmakers made a whole lot more sense!

Good luck with your Minis, you know, when you actually get them.

JohnMichael
01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Let us know what you get. And don't forget to post pics of your speakers and your duvet.

Here is a link to the duvet.
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p7807/index.cfm?pkey=cbabdvtptn

At the store I will be listening to KEF and Monitor Audio but I just saw on AudioAdvisor that they have some JM Labs Focal Cobalt S 806's for a good price. What to do, what to do?

GMichael
01-02-2007, 11:19 AM
I did. I kept coming back to them after hearing other things. I'd love to hear the Strata Minis but for my room size and current living situation (grad student in an apartment) something like the Rainmakers made a whole lot more sense!

Good luck with your Minis, you know, when you actually get them.

I listened to some Totems a few years back. I was very impressed. Good clean, clear sound IMO. Congrats. I hope you enjoy them for many years.

I heard a pair of Maggie 3.6's the same day. Had trouble getting them out of my head. I have heard that the smaller Maggies also sound very good but don't play as loud. We have a large room and do sometimes turn it up a bit. These mini hybrids seem worth checking into. And they sure look nice, and match our living room. Time will tell. Maybe someone will come out with something better while I'm saving.

GMichael
01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Here is a link to the duvet.
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p7807/index.cfm?pkey=cbabdvtptn

At the store I will be listening to KEF and Monitor Audio but I just saw on AudioAdvisor that they have some JM Labs Focal Cobalt S 806's for a good price. What to do, what to do?

Very nice. Congrats.

Get the mini's. Then you can let me know how they sound. :idea:

emorphien
01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm hoping I can stick with the Rainmakers until I'm out of graduate school :lol:

We'll see how that goes until I get upgradeitis, find something better and have the money. I have listened to a lot of speakers recently and up to around $3000 the Rainmakers provide a really satisfying sound for my personal taste in music only bettered by more expensive Totems and a couple other speakers I've heard at the moment. Certainly not saying they're the best in that price-range but they really seem to suit my tastes well, and the price was hard to argue with.

I'll reserve final judgment until I've run them in my system for a bit of course.

I listened to Maggie 1.6s 5 weeks ago, and again a week ago. 5 weeks ago they were bright and unpleasant, very harsh even. A week ago nothing had changed except for having more play time and they were extremely pleasant, detailed and smooth. I generally don't put much stock in extended breakins, but I may have to revise that as far as planar speakers go.

topspeed
01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Washer and dryer, huh?

Soooo sexy.

How's the wifey like the spin cycle? :ihih:

bobsticks
01-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Washer and dryer, huh?

Soooo sexy.

It was only a matter of time before someone went there. :ihih:

These kind of look like the subs Flo uses with the Grandes...okay maybe not.

Congrats, right?

GMichael
01-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Washer and dryer, huh?

Soooo sexy.

You wouldn't believe the points I got for this. And they aren't even here yet. Wifey is providing the spin cycle so far. :3:

KaiWinters
01-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Awesome looking speakers.
I bet they sound great.
mmmmm spin cycle...

jrhymeammo
01-02-2007, 01:15 PM
George Michael,

I swear, you probably got the most colorful "crib" amoungst us.

jra

emorphien
01-02-2007, 01:18 PM
George Michael,

jra
I think we need to start a series of crib tours for members.

GMichael
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
George Michael,

jra

Thanks! I think.:idea:

My builder tried very hard to get me to change my mind on the colors. :out: But I knew what I wanted and got it.:yikes:

jrhymeammo
01-02-2007, 01:44 PM
It's great man. My place looks bland, I could start using glitter on my records...

jra

emorphien
01-02-2007, 01:49 PM
It's great man. My place looks bland, I could start using glitter on my records...

jra
Make a thread, tour your crib! Someone else can be next, I haven't been around long enough the past month to tidy up :lol:

JohnMichael
01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
My apartment was used for a virtual tour to advertise the complex. Not nearly as colorful as GMichaels. I can paint my walls any color I want as long as one coat of white paint can cover it.

jrhymeammo
01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
My apartment was used for a virtual tour to advertise the complex. Not nearly as colorful as GMichaels. I can paint my walls any color I want as long as one coat of white paint can cover it.

How does that make you feel?

jrhymeammo
01-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Make a thread, tour your crib! Someone else can be next, I haven't been around long enough the past month to tidy up :lol:

Mine'll be too short. Just one room really. My bedroom is filled with empty boxes. I'll just point to my raggety old couch and say "this is where I scrogg". Screw the extreme audio makeover, I need some decent furns.

JRA

JohnMichael
01-02-2007, 02:32 PM
How does that make you feel?

I was flattered they asked. Of course they do not tell anyone which apartment is in the tour.

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
I haven't been around long enough the past month to tidy up :lol:

See, you need to invite people over to force you to clean up first. We had some friends over for new year's eve and spent two days getting the house ready. Man, our house has never looked so good!

Too bad it won't last. :nonod:

Dusty Chalk
01-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Dude! You was robbed! I saw those exact same models being sold out of the back of a white van...and I know the guy who bought them (before I could stop him) -- they produce the dreaded...ONE NOTE BASS...

jrhymeammo
01-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I was flattered they asked. Of course they do not tell anyone which apartment is in the tour.

Very well John, that'll be $200 for today's psychotherapy.

GMichael
01-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Dude! You was robbed! I saw those exact same models being sold out of the back of a white van...and I know the guy who bought them (before I could stop him) -- they produce the dreaded...ONE NOTE BASS...

Yeah, one note, at 3htz. I can't hear it but my teeth hurt. And my house fell down, go boom.

kexodusc
01-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Sweet! You'll need to buy some foam isolation bumpers to mount those on to get optimal performance. I could recommend a new power supply mod, swap out the old one and really let these puppies sing.

Don't feel too bad GM, instead of an HD projector, I got new flooring for the kitchen and basement stairs. Yaaayyyy!!!

GMichael
01-03-2007, 05:50 AM
It sucks to be sensible. If we were a couple of those guys who can't see reason, we'd have everything we want. Of coarse our wives would leave us and our houses would fall down, but hey, we'd have the speakers we want (and HD projectors in every room).

braminator
01-03-2007, 07:20 AM
We all seemed to of missed the biggest factor. WAF approved:cornut:

Rock on Gman. Can't wait to stop by to see if they outperform your Titanic 15" sub.

JohnMichael
01-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Very well John, that'll be $200 for today's psychotherapy.

You are way to nice a person to be burdened by my psychotherapy needs. I could make a therapist rich.

GMichael
01-03-2007, 07:34 AM
We all seemed to of missed the biggest factor. WAF approved:cornut:

Rock on Gman. Can't wait to stop by to see if they outperform your Titanic 15" sub.

They get delivered this Saturday.

GMichael
01-03-2007, 07:36 AM
I could make a therapist rich.

Bartenders cost less. But they're rough on your liver.

basite
01-03-2007, 08:47 AM
You are way to nice a person to be burdened by my psychotherapy needs. I could make a therapist rich.

can i be your therapist?

you know i'd spend it on audio gear so at least you know your money is fine...:cornut:

Greetings,
Bert.

L.J.
01-03-2007, 09:32 AM
George Michael,

jra

That's exactly what I was thinkin'.

I'm sure they'll sound great GM, but aren't they a little too close together :ciappa:

GMichael
01-03-2007, 09:40 AM
What I want to know is this:

Why does it take a simple mind like mine to see that the door on the drier should open the other way so that it's easier to move clothes from the washer to the drier?

jrhymeammo
01-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Dude, you are one lazy mother. But yes.

JM,
let's schudule an appointment for 2morrow

jra

ForeverAutumn
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
What I want to know is this:

Why does it take a simple mind like mine to see that the door on the drier should open the other way so that it's easier to move clothes from the washer to the drier?

We have that same issue with ours and everytime I do laundry, I curse that damn dryer door. Of course, you can switch which way the door opens, but that would require getting the tools out and it's so much easier to just curse. :incazzato:

GMichael
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Dude, you are one lazy mother.

Yeah? So? Your point?

But yes.

I hear this a lot!

JM,
let's schudule an appointment for 2morrow

jra

Are you going to ask him to lay down on your couch?

GMichael
01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
We have that same issue with ours and everytime I do laundry, I curse that damn dryer door. Of course, you can switch which way the door opens, but that would require getting the tools out and it's so much easier to just curse. :incazzato:

They can be switched? If so, I'll fix ours. It will make Honey's life easier.

ForeverAutumn
01-03-2007, 12:04 PM
They can be switched? If so, I'll fix ours. It will make Honey's life easier.

Most appliances can be set up "right-handed" or "left-handed". Most dryers that I've seen have this option as do most single door fridges.

Hubby does most of the laundry in our house, so I'll just wait until he's tired of the door opening the wrong way...then he'll fix it.

JSE
01-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Stops by the water cooler to see how everyone is doing, hears...... Washer, Dryer, Spin Cycle, Duvet, Pottery Barn, Glitter, Decent Ferns....................... scrolls to top of page to make sure it still says AudioReview.com, shakes head, and keeps on walking. :out: :ciappa:

JSE

basite
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Stops by the water cooler to see how everyone is doing, hears...... Washer, Dryer, Spin Cycle, Duvet, Pottery Barn, Glitter, Decent Ferns....................... scrolls to top of page to make sure it still says AudioReview.com, shakes head, and keeps on walking. :out: :ciappa:

JSE

yeah, audioreview is just a disguise for various householding equipment, most of us are speaking in code language, in the 'what's spinning' topic we actually mean what clothes we are washing at the moment :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
01-03-2007, 12:59 PM

JSE

OH MY GOD! I can't believe that YOU would come HERE and talk like THAT to ME. If you had ANY idea of what you were talking ABOUT then we MIGHT listen to what YOU have to SAY. Try taking your MEDS for a change. You MIGHT feel BETTER.

Feel more at home now?
Thanks for stopping in. You should come by more often. You're the only one left from the fighting trio.

(kicks over the cooler and goes back to work)

JSE
01-03-2007, 01:17 PM
OH MY GOD! I can't believe that YOU would come HERE and talk like THAT to ME. If you had ANY idea of what you were talking ABOUT then we MIGHT listen to what YOU have to SAY. Try taking your MEDS for a change. You MIGHT feel BETTER.

Feel more at home now?
Thanks for stopping in. You should come by more often. You're the only one left from the fighting trio.

(kicks over the cooler and goes back to work)

OK, OK, it's still the same place. I feel better with someone yelling at me. Thanks or making me feel better. :biggrin5:

Feeling better, turns back around to get a drink from the old faithfull water cooler. DAMMIT! Who knocked over the F#@$%NG water cooler?

JSE

Dusty Chalk
01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Cones or feet?

Sorry, I had to take this conversation back into "silly" territory.

jrhymeammo
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
You know what I just realized?

Why do you care about those doors. Of course I dont know you, but for some reason I dont think you'll be doing much laundry so.... But, it would be a nice design for your lovely wife, no? If you love her, you will get other washer/dryer...or help her out for time to time. Ah F' it!!!!

J-Murda

GMichael
01-04-2007, 05:52 AM
You know what I just realized?

Why do you care about those doors. Of course I dont know you, but for some reason I dont think you'll be doing much laundry so.... But, it would be a nice design for your lovely wife, no? If you love her, you will get other washer/dryer...or help her out for time to time. Ah F' it!!!!

J-Murda

I probably won't do a whole lot of laundry. But if switching the hinges will make Honey's life easier, then that will make my life easier. It's a simple formula that some guy came up with in a cave one day. It's been passed down from generation to generation. I now pass this on to you. Remember it well. It could get you some .....:ciappa: