Willard Grant Conspiracy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Willard Grant Conspiracy?

Davey
02-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Who's Willard Grant anyway? And what's the conspiracy about?

Anyhoot, hey tentoze, howdya like that new one? I was just listening to Everything's Fine recently and thinking what a good band they are. I just have that and Flying Low. Guess there's one in between those two and then one or two after. Is that an import? How many do you have? And what's your favorite? I'd probably like to combine the best off both of mine since I don't think either is quite of the highest caliber, but they both sure have some good songs. And yeah, that voice :)

tentoze
02-11-2004, 01:41 PM

Anyhoot, hey tentoze, howdya like that new one? I was just listening to Everything's Fine recently and thinking what a good band they are. I just have that and Flying Low. Guess there's one in between those two and then one or two after. Is that an import? How many do you have? And what's your favorite? I'd probably like to combine the best off both of mine since I don't think either is quite of the highest caliber, but they both sure have some good songs. And yeah, that voice :)
Seems like I ran across the answer to "Who is..." once, but dang if I can remember it now.

"Regard The End" is a very fine record, probably the most fully-realized WGC I've heard. Four traditional ballads and 7 new songs from Fisher sung in that engaging voice. Recorded in Slovenia, no less (!). 17 musicians are credited on the record, of a total of about 30 that rotate in and out of the band at any given moment. My copy is a promo on Kimchee Records of all things, so not sure of the availability, but this link is their home page, and if you google for Kimchee, it prolly is available direct. Highly recommended.

http://wgc.hinah.com/press/?id=160

www.garment-district.com (http://www.garment-district.com), $10 shipped.

tentoze
02-11-2004, 03:20 PM

Follow-up answer (sort of):

I knew I'd seen it somewhere:

"Cosmik: Who's Willard Grant?

Fisher: That's a boring answer. As I said, this was a band that we didn't really plan on, so when we got down to naming the band--if you know anybody whose been in a band, ask them what's the worst part about being in a band, and most of them will say that naming the band is the worst part, because no matter how cool a name a you come up with, somebody else already has it. So, in this case, we had the record, we needed a name, so I just named it after the street we recorded the record on, Willard Grant. And the way that the street got its name was because of a family back in the 1700s called the Willard family granted a bunch of land to Massachusetts, and so they called the street that borders that land the Willard Grant, essentially. It's an incredibly boring story, isn't it? "

Davey
02-11-2004, 04:15 PM
My copy is a promo on Kimchee Records of all things, so not sure of the availability, but this link is their home page, and if you google for Kimchee, it prolly is available direct. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the info. It does look like it was just released this month at http://www.kimcheerecords.com/catalog/kc030/

Nice writeup there and also at the amazon.uk site with a few 5 star customer comments too. You can order it direct from Kimchee with check or money order for $10 but you have to pay shipping at that garment site which is kinda steep for just one CD. Think maybe I'll go ahead and send Kimchee a check and let them take their time while it clears since I'm in no hurry. Sounds like a good one, if you lke that kind of bleak end of the world type music. And I do!

:)

tentoze
02-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info. It does look like it was just released this month at http://www.kimcheerecords.com/catalog/kc030/

Nice writeup there and also at the amazon.uk site with a few 5 star customer comments too. You can order it direct from Kimchee with check or money order for $10 but you have to pay shipping at that garment site which is kinda steep for just one CD. Think maybe I'll go ahead and send Kimchee a check and let them take their time while it clears since I'm in no hurry. Sounds like a good one, if you lke that kind of bleak end of the world type music. And I do!

:)
My take on it is that, in spite of the somewhat gloomy themes explored in the songs, the overall sense of the music is anything but gloomy or depressing. It has a mood that generally strikes a note in me of rarity and beauty.

tentoze
02-11-2004, 10:51 PM
My take on it is that, in spite of the somewhat gloomy themes explored in the songs, the overall sense of the music is anything but gloomy or depressing. It has a mood that generally strikes a note in me of rarity and beauty.
And as an aside, anyone who lives in Arizona and doesn't own Handsome Family's "Singing Bones" is probably in violation of a state regulation...........

;)

Davey
02-12-2004, 08:18 AM
And as an aside, anyone who lives in Arizona and doesn't own Handsome Family's "Singing Bones" is probably in violation of a state regulation...........
Well, I'm probably just here temporarily so maybe they'll cut me some slack, especially since I do have one of their earlier albums, In The Air. Ya know, there really aren't all that many bands that I will buy more than one album from anymore. Just way too many artists I want to try out and not nearly enough time and money to make it happen, so I usually just go for the one course and move on unless they really grab me. I do like the Handsome Family, but not enough to get any more CDs. In fact, I haven't listened enough to the one I have to really know it well. Have to dig it out (literally). Chrisnz first turned me on to them and I used a track from In The Air on the Decade of Alt-Country comp I did right about that time. They do seem demented enough to be right down my music cul-de-sac, but must be one street over or something. I'll put In The Air in my rotation sometime this week and see what think these days.

But right now I've got Frank Black and the Catholics in the player. Dog In The Sand. I wonder what the Pixies are gonna play on their upcoming appearances? That should be a pretty hot ticket once they get warmed up. Or maybe it's been too long? I'd sure like to see them.