Ok, so I'll make the first post of 2007. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I'll make the first post of 2007.

Swish
01-01-2007, 06:04 AM
What will be the first record you spin today? I'm looking at the stack in front of me and I think I'm going to go with The Decemberists - The Crane Wife. Great stuff from one of my favorite bands of the last few years.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Swish

jrhymeammo
01-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Swish,

I think I'm gonna go with a Liberty pressing of..

Paul Chambers - Bass on Top

I think I'll wait a couple of hours though..

A Happy New Year to you,

JRA

Go Vols!!!!!!!

Hyfi
01-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Happy New Years to all of you RRs out there. Hope it's a safe and healthy year.

I do think I will spin Unorthodox Behaviour by BrandX again this morning. I loved Phil Collins when he used to play the Drums. Spun Livestock just before 12 last night. I'm still getting used to listening to things in 5 chanel stereo and the jury is still out. I do notice that live recordings do sound cool in a multi setup.

What's today's menu for everyone?

Here, it's homemade Pizza from dough to sauce with Chocolate Martinis. What a combo!

Cheers,

Hyfi

bobsticks
01-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Presumably I will be capable of a rawking good time later. With that in mind, the playlist for the afternoon consisits of The Police("Regatta de Blanc"), Dr. John ("Creole Moon"), The Pogues ("Hell's Ditch"), Willard Grant Conspiracy ("Everything's Fine"),and Over The Rhine ("Drunkard's Prayer" hah). Also, the new di Meola disc "Consequence of Chaos" will get a first spin. All that is contigent on a massive recovery from my current state of post-New Year's malaise.

Now playing is a disc by Jorgen Van Rijen for trombone and piano. Beautiful, mid-rangy, mid-tempo stuff for even the most fragile minds.

The thought of food is most displeasing at this point.

To emphasize my current state of confusion I did, in fact, originally type "Willard Scott Conspiracy" which I can't imagine would be very entertaining.

Happy New Year to one and all...

Swish
01-01-2007, 09:42 AM
To emphasize my current state of confusion I did, in fact, originally type "Willard Scott Conspiracy" which I can't imagine would be very entertaining.

Happy New Year to one and all...

Now that's funny. I really wish you had posted that one. We'd never let you forget it. Just ask Jim Clark about "busying his balls".

Swish

Swish
01-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Happy New Years to all of you RRs out there. Hope it's a safe and healthy year.
What's today's menu for everyone?

Here, it's homemade Pizza from dough to sauce with Chocolate Martinis. What a combo!

Cheers,

Hyfi

...pork and sauer kraut, but my wife makes sorma (spelling?), a concoction of ground pork and beef with rice, cooked in big meatballs in kraut and cabbage leafs. Mashed taters on the side. Good stuff!

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
01-01-2007, 11:35 AM
IFC has a full slate of music documentaries today. Right now it's You See Me Laughin', fairly recent blues docu with R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, etc. Earlier we watched Punk Attitude, a couple of years old from Don Letts & very good, and then the Decline Of Western Civilization - Metal Years, which I'd never seen. Wow.

The schedule seems to be on a loop that's repeating starting at 5, can't sit through it all but I would if I could.

Slosh
01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
I had to play Trail Of The Dead's Source Tags & Codes first. The third New Year's Eve party I went to last night was at my daughter's boyfriend's parents house (good people). Anyway, their son is in a pretty impressive three piece band (all 15 or 16 years old) that sounds amazingly like Trail Of The Dead, especially the drumming. The funny thing is none of them had even ever heard of them. Luckily I happened to have Source Tags in my car and when I played a couple of songs for them last night their jaws kinda dropped, with the singer/guitarist saying that it was almost like listening to themselves playing songs they hadn't written yet. That was kinda cool.

Been on a bit of a metal kick again lately and once my head cleared I threw on Mastodon - Blood Mountain. This one is a pleasant surprise for me. I really liked their debut but didn't like the direction they were heading with Leviathan, but this new one is clicking with me.

3-LockBox
01-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I do think I will spin Unorthodox Behaviour by BrandX again this morning. I loved Phil Collins when he used to play the Drums

I just heard this album several months ago...I also picked up the Dixie Dregs' first two albums 'round the same time...as they say, rippin good fusion.

Dusty Chalk
01-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Unexpect, In A Flesh Aquarium -- intense, intenser, intensest. Think Mr. Bungle meets a more musical Gwar and gets a female vocalist. There were a lot of people onstage. I had to stop listening when the album finished, I was virtually breathless.

nobody
01-02-2007, 08:13 AM
First spin of 2007 was Kraftwerk's Radio Activity. Was able to conjure up a copy of The Catalog, a remastered 8 disc collection covering everything from Autobahn forward...excluding Minimum-Maximum. Great stuff, although difficult to come across. Did this thing ever get an official release? I don't seem to see it anywhere and can barely find much about it online. Sounds like it was suposed to be released in 2004, but not sure what happened...or how there seem to be the occasional copies floating around.

Mr MidFi
01-02-2007, 11:58 AM
My first official spin of 2007 was the Okonokos live DVD from My Morning Jacket, played loudly and in its entirety, mostly with the video image switched to football.

Despite the mild handover and multitasking distractions, I was digging it big. Well worth checking out if you're curious.

BradH
01-02-2007, 02:08 PM
First spin of the year for me was Camel's Mirage. The remastered version has extra live tracks but I'm saving that for tonight.

First spin of 2007 was Kraftwerk's Radio Activity. Was able to conjure up a copy of The Catalog, a remastered 8 disc collection covering everything from Autobahn forward...excluding Minimum-Maximum. Great stuff, although difficult to come across. Did this thing ever get an official release?

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. Last year I "acquired" a copy of Autobahn that was supposedly from The Catalog. It sounds great but it's a flawed rip so I'm waiting for the real thing. Too bad they've got such an attitude about their pre-Autobahn stuff. I've got a good vinyl rip of Organization's Tone Foat from their pre-Kraftwerk college days plus Kraftwerk and Kraftwerk 2 on cd from the Germanophone label. I don't think that's officially sanctioned though. The Ralf & Florian is definitely a bootleg on Italy's Crown label. Sounds good though. I guess none of this will ever see the light of day from Kraftwerk's own hands.