Well, it's interesting [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's interesting

rb122
11-12-2003, 04:59 AM
The look certainly is different! I suppose we'll all get used to it.

At any rate, some sad news indeed. My trusty Benz ACE cartridge needs retipping. Stupid me, I didn't see it coming. It has several thousand hours on it and it's in no shape to play anything more for awhile. The word is that it could take as long as 3 months to fix. What will I do with no vinyl to spin? I'm seriously considering buying a cheap backup. Any suggestions? As this one will be called into service only when the ACE is down, I don't want to spend more than $100. Any help would be appreciated.

hifitommy
11-12-2003, 06:13 AM
the at 440ML is about $90 or so and will do nicely for the duration. its always good to have a cart like this lurking about for emergencies. it has been repeatedly reviewed on AA. when the review was negative, the dissenting posts were overwhelming, that is-people disagreed with the neg review.

one of my friends admonished me for not buying a backup. i have several other cartridges and just dont need too many of the same cartridge.

...regareds...tr

rb122
11-12-2003, 06:43 AM
Is that an MC cartridge? I suppose I could work with an MM but I'd prefer MC.

Thanks for the tip.

hifitommy
11-12-2003, 07:18 AM
an ortofon. i idont think ANY of them sound bad. but it may be an interesting foray int mm at $90 with the 440.

jbangelfish
11-19-2003, 09:10 AM
There are many used cartridges but I don't really know if I'd buy used. I bought an NOS Grado MM from Ebay for $100. Maybe not a great one but a decent backup. I use MC also and prefer them, hmmmm.... good luck for $100. Tommy's suggestions would be backed by his experience.
Bill

maxg
11-20-2003, 04:56 AM
For about $150 you could get a Denon 103. Everyone I know who has bought one has been astonished by how well it plays for the money.

I plan on getting one as a back up for my Shelter - as soon as I have off-loaded my Clearaudio Virtuoso 2....

skeptic
11-21-2003, 04:15 AM
That's the difference between having to replace a stylus in an mc cartridge and an mm cartridge. But I suppose that for those who need the high end frequency response peak of an mc cartridge it's worth it. Of course you now face a dilemma. If you replace the Benz cartridge with another mc cartridge, there is always the possibility that you will have the same problem with the replacement. On the other hand, if you replace it with an mm cartridge, you will have to change the input at the back of your preamp and then change it back again when the Benz cartridge comes back from service. There are other alternatives. You could get an identical cartridge to the one you now have and keep swapping them out as spares when they go back for service. Or you just might listen to cds in the interim. Heheheheheh. And then there is the real danger that whatever temporary replacement cartridge you get...you might just like better. Ah, the complexities of being rich and driving a Mercedes.

rb122
11-21-2003, 05:18 AM
[QUOTE=skeptic]That's the difference between having to replace a stylus in an mc cartridge and an mm cartridge. But I suppose that for those who need the high end frequency response peak of an mc cartridge it's worth it.

Trust me on this - if the Benz had a HF peak, I'd hear it and it would drive me insane! My hearing has been tested out to almost 18 khz. The days of mc cartridges rising in the HF is pretty much over.

I'm not replacing the Benz - I just want something cheap to get me by until it comes back but not so cheap that it sounds terrible... you know, like most CD's! heh, heh! :).

hifitommy
11-21-2003, 06:41 AM
"For about $150 you could get a Denon 103."

where do you get one for that kin d of money?? thats a great price.

TIA

...regards...tr

DMK
11-21-2003, 06:28 PM
[I'm not replacing the Benz - I just want something cheap to get me by until it comes back but not so cheap that it sounds terrible... you know, like most CD's! heh, heh! :).[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting that while not all people I've crossed paths with that use moving magnets are digiphiles, all the digiphiles seem to use moving magnet cartridges, if they have a turntable at all. I wonder if there's a correlation there. But why would they prefer a rolled off, dull cartridge if they enjoy the strident, piercing highs of CD? It doesn't make sense. But I guess it's easier to dis vinyl if you don't maximize its performance. Moving magnet cartridges are very good - I've used the Clearaudio Virtuoso for a few years now off and on - but the best of them don't rate with the mid-level MC's, IME. I'd take an $800 Benz Glider over a $1200 Grado woodbody anyday.

At any rate, I'd go with the Denon mentioned above. You won't miss your Benz as much :)

maxg
11-24-2003, 03:09 AM
"For about $150 you could get a Denon 103."

where do you get one for that kin d of money?? thats a great price.

TIA

...regards...tr

you are in luck - I just found the info from high-endaudio.com:

Quote:

"Thought you might be interested to know that you can buy these carts directly from Denon in the U.S. The number I used is 310-974-1010 (then press Option #2-"Service"); that's their office in Torrance, California:

103 $ 149.32
103DL $ 347.44
DLS1 $ 774.40
DL-110 $ 139.00
DL-160 $ 179.00
302 $ 228.80
304 $ 348.48
The 305 is discontinued. (7/03)"

Cant vouch for the info - although I have seen it several times in various places. Its only of academic interest for me as I do not live in the US.

Actually they are slightly cheaper over here - which makes a nice change!! (but the difference would not be enough to make up the shipping costs - so try these guys first).