Connection issue [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connection issue

BillyB
12-31-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm just wondering if there is a quality way to incorporate my floorstanding 2 channel stereo speakers into my home theatre set-up without compromising the signal.I have Rotel separates for 2 channel audio and a Denon A/V reciever for home theatre use(obviously both used in the same listening room).My front speakers for home theatre are small wall-hung satellites and I thought it would be interesting if I could use my Quad floorstanders for my front channel.Of course speakers only accept one source so unless there is some type of high grade in line A/B speaker switch I guess the answer to my question is obvious.I suppose some people get around this by simply using their A/V reciever for everything but of course that's not what I'm looking to do.I'm sure there's also the issue of the Floorstanders overpowering the rest of the satellite speakers for the home theatre system but there are settings on the Denon to help with that.I'm much more into my stereo than my home theatre so I'm not looking to do anything to deteriorate my 2 channel set-up.Sorry if this is a stupid question but I know this is the place to get the right answer.

N. Abstentia
12-31-2006, 08:48 AM
You could replace your Rotel and Denon stuff with a preamp that would improve both your 2 channel and your multichannel...something like the Outlaw 990 or an Anthem AVM. That way you still have seperates, you can do everything with one system, and it will sound just as good if not better on 2 channel (this will definitely improve the sound of your multichannel).

Carl Reid
12-31-2006, 09:08 AM
You could replace your Rotel and Denon stuff with a preamp that would improve both your 2 channel and your multichannel...something like the Outlaw 990 or an Anthem AVM. That way you still have seperates, you can do everything with one system, and it will sound just as good if not better on 2 channel (this will definitely improve the sound of your multichannel).

Sounds like an expensive suggestion.... Anthem AVMs are not cheap.... and no disrespect intended... but I'm yet to be convinced that Anthem sounds better than Rotel... When I was shopping for an AMP/Preamp combo the first one I checked out was the Anthem TLP1/PVA2.... but I chose the Rotel setup instead for about the same price... since I thought the Rotel sounded better....

Anyway, I am also facing a similar dilemna to Billy, so I'm just as interested in hearing suggestions....

N. Abstentia
12-31-2006, 10:48 AM
If the Anthem is too expensive, check out the Outlaw 990. For $1100 it's phenomenal and actually I liked it better than the Anthem and Rotel units...which is why I bought it :)

BillyB
12-31-2006, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=Carl Reid]Sounds like an expensive suggestion.... Anthem AVMs are not cheap.... and no disrespect intended... but I'm yet to be convinced that Anthem sounds better than Rotel... When I was shopping for an AMP/Preamp combo the first one I checked out was the Anthem TLP1/PVA2.... but I chose the Rotel setup instead for about the same price... since I thought the Rotel sounded better....

Anyway, I am also facing a similar dilemna to Billy, so I'm just as interested in hearing suggestions....[/QUOTE

Absolutely.As you know from my previous threads regarding my 2 channel system I just got it to a place where I'm thrilled with the sound and I did make it clear I didn't want to mess with that.At their price point It is very difficult to do better than Rotel.I sometimes wonder how they do it as there is much more expensive equipment out there that doesn't sound that much better(on a cost vs reward basis).To me they're at the perfect price level for people who aren't loaded but still want to enjoy this very expensive hobby..Oh well I'm biased and that's OK. This issue isn't that crucial to me because If I'm gonna get yelled at for listening to something too loud I'd certainly rather it be my favorite music versus a movie soundtrack.There's only so much high volume listening time in a house with 2 little kids.My hunch is that there is no proper way to do what I'm asking (with existing equipment)or someone would have explained it by now.Even with the equipment suggestions by Abstentia how do you get around the fact that speakers only have terminals for one source so even if a source has multiple outputs you're still hosed.I must be missing something here.

Mr Peabody
12-31-2006, 01:02 PM
The best way would be if your Rotel preamp had a "bypass" feature to allow the Denon's main L/R preamp out to pass through it when using HT. The "bypass" basically allows the Rotel system to be a slave to the Denon when using HT. So your Quads and Rotel power amp would effectively become your front L/R. If your preamp don't have that now, you might check to see if Rotel offers this on another model. Some people have said you can do this via the tape monitor, just turn the preamp to full volume and have your Denon preamp outs, L/R, plugged into the tape onitor. I've never tried this and obviously caution should be taken not to accidently turn the monitor off while at full volume.

If that suggestion don't work, Adcom makes a speaker selector and Bryston makes a higher quality one. I think when I checked these out though the set up was for more than one set of speakers rather than more than one amp. You'd have to check with the manufacturer to see if hooking up in reverse would work.

I used to use the firstoption until I converted to tubes. My solid state gear had he bypass feature. I did not like the mix of tubes and solid state in my HT, so now what I do, is I basically have 2 systems sharing my main speakers. Each amp has speaker cables terminated with bananas and I just plug in the cables for which application I'm about to use.

Your wish can come true, take a pick. Best luck.

BillyB
12-31-2006, 07:04 PM
The best way would be if your Rotel preamp had a "bypass" feature to allow the Denon's main L/R preamp out to pass through it when using HT. The "bypass" basically allows the Rotel system to be a slave to the Denon when using HT. So your Quads and Rotel power amp would effectively become your front L/R. If your preamp don't have that now, you might check to see if Rotel offers this on another model. Some people have said you can do this via the tape monitor, just turn the preamp to full volume and have your Denon preamp outs, L/R, plugged into the tape onitor. I've never tried this and obviously caution should be taken not to accidently turn the monitor off while at full volume.

If that suggestion don't work, Adcom makes a speaker selector and Bryston makes a higher quality one. I think when I checked these out though the set up was for more than one set of speakers rather than more than one amp. You'd have to check with the manufacturer to see if hooking up in reverse would work.

I used to use the firstoption until I converted to tubes. My solid state gear had he bypass feature. I did not like the mix of tubes and solid state in my HT, so now what I do, is I basically have 2 systems sharing my main speakers. Each amp has speaker cables terminated with bananas and I just plug in the cables for which application I'm about to use.

Your wish can come true, take a pick. Best luck.

That's kind of what I thought.My Quads are bi-wired which probably makes this idea even more complicated.I'm going to buy a Plasma Display for my basement playroom and I think it will become the centerpiece of a future high quality home theatre room.The set-up I've been discussing is located in my Den upstairs and it seems there is never a good time to crank up the home theatre without making someone annoyed.I just don't think home theatre is that effective if you can't crank it up so maybe the basement playroom will eventually be a room I can enjoy movies loud without it being as disruptive to the family.Thanks for the reply.