System 2 downstairs:
Dennon 4800 Reciever
Rega Apollo CD player
Sony 999ES Sacd/DVD player
B&W N805 Fronts
B&W HTM-4 Center
B&W 602 rears
(Sony 50 in HD LCD Rear Projection)

The problem is, I enjoy the upstairs system much more for music than the downstairs system, but I have two children (1 & 2 yrs old) so I am forced to listen to music downstairs the vast majority of the time.

What would be a sensible upgrade to get more out of my downstairs system? I believe the Dennon to be my weak spot. Would an Arcam 350 be a vast improvement over the Dennon? or do I need to go to seperates to get any real benifit? or do I need to upgrade my front speakers?

willing to spend $3,000-$5,000 if needed.

Please advise.

thx

basite
12-30-2006, 12:52 PM
the difference between the two systems is that the one is stereo and the other is surround,
the speakers are fine, but you can't have the nice stereo sound out of a surround receiver, getting a stereo integrated amp or a stereo receiver will help alot.

Carl Reid
12-30-2006, 12:54 PM
I currently have two systems:

System 1 upstairs:
Naim Nait 5i integrated
Naim CD5x
Naim Flatcap 2x
Naim Ariva speakers
(Samsung 42 in HD Plasma)

System 2 downstairs:
Dennon 4800 Reciever
Rega Apollo CD player
Sony 999ES Sacd/DVD player
B&W N805 Fronts
B&W HTM-4 Center
B&W 602 rears
(Sony 50 in HD LCD Rear Projection)

The problem is, I enjoy the upstairs system much more for music than the downstairs system, but I have two children (1 & 2 yrs old) so I am forced to listen to music downstairs the vast majority of the time.

What would be a sensible upgrade to get more out of my downstairs system? I believe the Dennon to be my weak spot. Would an Arcam 350 be a vast improvement over the Dennon? or do I need to go to seperates to get any real benifit? or do I need to upgrade my front speakers?

willing to spend $3,000-$5,000 if needed.

Please advise.

thx

I also suspect that the Denon is the weak point.... but a quick way to check would be to carry your Naim Nait 5i integrated downstairs and connect it to the N805s and see if you find a substantial improvement in the sound quality.... if so then you'll probably want to replace the Denon.... if not.... then the speakers may be your issue.... (but changing the speakers may be a more expensive task since you have a center and two surounds already designed around an all B&W setup)....

Mr Peabody
12-30-2006, 01:25 PM
In my opinion the Arcam would provide better music playback. For the budget you mentioned you could go separates. Arcam has a good preamp processor for around $2,500.00. I'm not sure what their power amps are going for now. I think the 5 channel Diva amp is $1,600.00. If you buy Arcam separates, and you can swing it, the FMJ amps are worth the extra money. Arcam is a good choice because even in their HT stuff they always have kept good music playback. Other separates to consider, maybe Anthem, Classe' or Bryston.

I think your speakers are definitely fine. I have no direct experience with the 999es but have heard others question it's music playback capability. You might try a dedicated CD player or add a DAC, unless you have several SACD's. Some argue this, but you can also step up your audio quality by using quality connect cables, if you don't already.

Another good suggestion if you have the room is to put together a 2 channel system that integrates into your home theater. Many integrated amps and preamps can be found with a Theater Through or "bypass" feature. This allows you to connect the main/front preamp out of your Denon to the 2 channel system and use the power amp section as a slave to the Denon. I used to do this with my Krell 500i, which is for sale if you are interested. My main speakers were connected to the 500i and I used it for music playback, when watching movies I turned the Krell on and hit the "Theater Through" button and it then became my power and front L/R speakers in my HT set up. This method would provide the best sound quality for least money

Welcome to AR and you can email me from my profile if you would be interested in my amp or CD player.

SpartanWaveDave
01-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I've had the Nait downstairs before and there was a definite improvement with the stereo perfomance, but I didn't feel the Nait was a good match for the 805's. The Nait doesn't seem to like being bi-wired and I feel the 805's respond better that way. Also there was a slight hissing sound that would come out of the speakers when nothing was playing that was bothersome.

I do have a Rega Apollo CD player which I'm happy with, so I don't think I need an upgrade there (though it doesn't compare to the Naim CD5X I have upstairs).

It seems like maybe an integrated would be the best course to take. Does the Krell respond well to bi-wiring? or are there any other sugestions?

Thanks again for the responses they have been very helpfull.

jrhymeammo
01-01-2007, 11:29 AM
It seems like maybe an integrated would be the best course to take. Does the Krell respond well to bi-wiring? or are there any other sugestions?

I would contact Mr Peabody since he has a Krell Integrated up for a sale. I would feel much safer dealing with him than some Agoners. Of course if you are going to purchase it brand new, then forgot about it.

Mr Peabody
01-01-2007, 02:09 PM
My integrated is a 500i. It only has one set of speaker terminls, I'm not up on bi-wiring, so I don't know if this is a bad thing. Krell has always included their "Theater Through" feature on their integrated and most preamps. The 500i is 250wpc, this or any of their integrated amps will have the current for bi-wiring. If you would like any particulars on my amp feel free to email from my profile.

Dusty Chalk
01-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Swap the two systems.

I'm kind of serious. You think the Denon is the weak link? Swap it out. At least you'll know.

SpartanWaveDave
01-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I auditioned the Arcam 350 and was disapointed. I demoed the Arcam at a local Audio Concepts store. They used the Arcam being through @ Rotel CD player (not sure which one), that was problably was not equal to my Apollo. Thinking that might be the problem we swithched to a Classe CD player that should be much better than my Apollo (but a little less than my CD5X I think).

The Arcam had a slightly cleaner sound than the Denon and a just a little more "punch". But it was nothing like the sonic improvement I had at home when I added the Apollo to my system (aparently there is something to the sourse first argument).

While the Arcam perfomed slightly better then the Denon, I can't justify the cost for such a small improvement.

I guess i'm stuck looking at an intergrated or seperates now.

Fergymunster
01-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I've had the Nait downstairs before and there was a definite improvement with the stereo perfomance, but I didn't feel the Nait was a good match for the 805's. The Nait doesn't seem to like being bi-wired and I feel the 805's respond better that way. Also there was a slight hissing sound that would come out of the speakers when nothing was playing that was bothersome.

I do have a Rega Apollo CD player which I'm happy with, so I don't think I need an upgrade there (though it doesn't compare to the Naim CD5X I have upstairs).

You have two very good CD players and alot of equipment.It's hard to diagnose what's going on but I would start by investigating the hissing comming from the speakers.I would'nt suspect it has anything to do with the Denon being the weak link but not certain.Have you addressed power conditioning,interconnects,power cords etc..Your money would go a long way addessing those concerns.