Replacing Power Supply in a JBL Subwoofer- Easy or Hard? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Power Supply in a JBL Subwoofer- Easy or Hard?

someguy03
12-29-2006, 01:24 PM
The JBL Powerbass PB-12 is famous for having a defective power supply. Someone is selling one on CraigsList that "doesn't power up" for a small $60. The average price paid in the Reviews section was $400, so the difference is large. I saw alot of complaints about the amp dying.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/80/7f/09e6_12.JPG

How hard/expensive would it be to replace the amp myself? Would I be able to use a generic amp that meets its specifications, or would I have to find an original made specifically for that sub?

Florian
12-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Well it depends on the design of the unit. If the crossover is attached to the amp plate then you need the same one, or one that is exactly alike. Switching these units is very easy to do mechanically.

SlumpBuster
12-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Flo is generally right, but I disagree that the amp needs to be identical. If you have your AVR doing crossover duty, then the crossover controls of the sub are superfluous. Hell you could run it with an outboard amp with the speaker wire running through a hole you drill in the side and seal with caulk.

But by the time you pay for postage, your $60 is more like $100. Then your amp is $200 So we're up to $300 for a sub that is gonna look pretty ghetto with either an ill fitting plate amp or a wire running through a hole in the side and only retailed for $480 in the first place. The ultimate problem with your proposal is that you are essentially looking for a free lunch. That's okay. I rocked a ghetto sub setup all through college. But, there are better ways to spend $300 bucks on sub.http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-760

Dusty Chalk
01-01-2007, 06:47 PM
It should be fairly easy -- just go over to Parts Express and get a new one. The crossover might be an issue -- some crossovers compensate for other things than the crossover point -- nulls and such, but a lot of those subs use the amp separately, they probably source the amps from a similar place except in bulk. Be prepared to pay as much or more for a new amp, though.