Newbie needs help with cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help with cables

Minge
02-11-2004, 09:30 AM
I have purchased a new Sherbourn amp and I am going to run my Marantz reciever and hook the amp through the pre-outs. My question is, what kind of cables do I need for this connection and can you recommend some good quality cables at an affordable price. Thanks for the help!!

Rockwell
02-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Standard "RCA" type interconnects that are available at Walmart, Radioshack, and just about anywhere.

okiemax
02-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I have purchased a new Sherbourn amp and I am going to run my Marantz reciever and hook the amp through the pre-outs. My question is, what kind of cables do I need for this connection and can you recommend some good quality cables at an affordable price. Thanks for the help!!

Here are three interconnects you may want to try: (1) Radio Shack Gold stereo patch ($11 for 3ft); (2) Radio Shack Fusion AV Audio ($28 for 3ft); and (3) SignalCable Analog Two ($49 for 2ft at their web site). I believe all three have 30-day money back guarantees, so you could compare the two more expensive cables with the Gold to determine if spending more is worth it to you.

I should mention that the Radio Shack Gold I bought two years ago fit much too tight on the jacks on my equipment. Hopefully, Radio Shack has corrected this problem, and what you might buy will be OK. However, if it seems like too much force is required to get the cables on the jacks, I wouldn't use them because you could loosen the jacks.

junkeroos
02-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Check this link:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/doeswirematter.htm

Then buy their cable, very cheap and no need to diy:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com

Willow
02-19-2004, 04:09 PM
try AR cables lots off stores have them on sale right now

mtrycraft
02-19-2004, 04:48 PM

One thing to remember, you don't need to spend a lot to make it work properly.

Aric M L
02-25-2004, 03:56 AM
I've purchased some monster cable RCA interconnects to replace my Wal-mart brand RCAs and I hear absolutely no difference now. However I'm running through a Sony reciever I'm not crazy for and out of Sony towers I am equally not crazy about and will be upgrading to a Myryad int amp soon and a pair of possibly Tannoy main speakers for a nice(r) two channel set-up and was wondering if I'd hear a difference then maybe? Also I'm using off the reel generic 14 gauge speaker wire right now and have it in my head to get better wire, just monster entry level or the like, when i get a nicer stereo and was wondering if that would be a wise investment?

markw
02-25-2004, 04:53 AM
I've purchased some monster cable RCA interconnects to replace my Wal-mart brand RCAs and I hear absolutely no difference now. However I'm running through a Sony reciever I'm not crazy for and out of Sony towers I am equally not crazy about and will be upgrading to a Myryad int amp soon and a pair of possibly Tannoy main speakers for a nice(r) two channel set-up and was wondering if I'd hear a difference then maybe? Also I'm using off the reel generic 14 gauge speaker wire right now and have it in my head to get better wire, just monster entry level or the like, when i get a nicer stereo and was wondering if that would be a wise investment?

You can easily go broke trying to find a system that can show the differences in cables. You just might be chasing your tail here. Most "real" cable afficianiados admit that the differences they make are subtle at least. I won't even go that far myself.

Save your money and apply it towards speakers, amps and source. Then get the placement right.

jamie_the_dude
02-29-2004, 07:51 PM
One thing to remember, you don't need to spend a lot to make it work properly.

TRUE, TRUE, TRUE! Get some cable you are happy with. Try to stay away from superstore places who carry various "gold" connector av cables and monster cable stuff from best buy. I think that monster is a little over priced at these stores. I once got lucky and found a shop who was changing their demo room and they had cables all over the floor. I made a deal with the owner and bought some that I still have today. As my system improves, I can notice a difference. But, yes- it is subtle. With an amp plugged into a receiver, the difference is more subtle than lets say- an amp and a preamp combo. Also, your speakers may or may not reveal the difference. Some speakers can reveal a change and others do not. Just depends. Also- your amp may also reveal or not reveal a change- again it depends. DO not go broke, just get what you can afford. I would suggest checking out audioadvisor and get some straightwire or audioquest. They make better wire than monster (in my mind- nobody attack me on this if you are a monster fan), and they have cable for as little as $25 or so a pair. If you ever upgrade your gear- use the $25 cable on your vcr and get a better cable for your more important gear- that is what I did!