DiVinci(scammed) H.T sound quality ?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DiVinci(scammed) H.T sound quality ??

mickscool
12-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Hi Friends,
I fell into the "white van scam" trap y'day and bought a DiVinci surround system for $370 CDN.Later I came to know about the SCAM through internet.I hooked the system and believe it or not,they sound pretty good to my surprise.

I am here,just to know,how does the DiVinci surround system (D-6) sound like???Is their quality good???Do they work for a year or so not???And does anybody have any idea of their original price.

Thanks
Mick

markw
12-29-2006, 07:13 AM
for $300 or so, I don't really expect too much and, if you are satisfied, then enjoy them.

As for their "real" price, I don't think ther really is one. They sell these for whatever they can get for them. The "suggested list price" they advertise is just a come on. I strongly doubt anyone would pay that price for them and, if they did, they deserve it for not doing their homework.

But, for $300, I don't think you can get too screwed.

basite
12-29-2006, 07:55 AM
indeed,
and if you're happy with them, then it's no problem (atleast, not for $300) if you bought them for $3000, then you were screwed, and yes, they might sound good for you, until you hear a real surround system.

mickscool
12-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks Guys...

indeed,
then you were screwed, and yes, they might sound good for you, until you hear a real surround system.

I dont know whats a real surround system....but I also have a RCA surround system and I was comparing this one to the RCA as a benchmark...

Mick

Blue Meanie
12-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks Guys...

I dont know whats a real surround system....but I also have a RCA surround system and I was comparing this one to the RCA as a benchmark...

Mick

No offense intended, but not much of a benchmark...:biggrin5:
If the Di Vinci's are an improvement over the RCA system, why sweat it? Just enjoy.:cornut:

Jeff

peterCotton
02-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I agree. I'm also a victim of the same scam, and I must say I've heard some of the best home systems out there, and though Divinci is inferior, It definitely deserves more credit than it gets, white van scam or not. I actually plug the so called "trash" in, and was VERY surprised at the quality of the system. Ive search and read numerous reviews claiming the speakers were horrible and wasn't worth more than $50 or $25 and it kinda bothered me. I don't know any systems for that price that sounds like the system I bought. My guess is that most of the people who write these reviews never plugged it in and listen. I cant speak for everybody else but the speakers I bought are fine for the final price that the white vans sell them for, which is from $150 - $300 (I paid $200). Like Markw said for $300, your not supposed to expect top of the line quality.

ralphietweets
02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I had a friend call me when the white van guys were there and, being in the industry I must agree, if they work then $300 is a great price. My question to those who have the system is how many hours of playing time is on them? My understanding is the main unit fries after a short period.

Again if they work its a great deal if not thats a bunch of costly paperweights.:mad2:

RoadRunner6
02-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Here's an article on and list of some of the white van speakers for anyone interested.

RR6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

f0rge
02-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Here's an article on and list of some of the white van speakers for anyone interested.

RR6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

lol @ Paradyme

basite
02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I must say I've heard some of the best home systems out there

so which ones did you hear?

filecat13
02-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Wow! Two guys get scammed then come her to say that the Da Vincis aren't so bad for the price paid. :skep:

I'd love to see some photos. The ones on line don't look real. Can we get some close ups?

FAU5TU5
03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Don't know if this is relevant but way back when I sold audio/video (goodguys, you west coasters might remember) in the 90s, my roommate and I, (also a goodguy ) found out part of the "White Van" scam and used it to our advantage.

They used to use a scratched up pair of their speakers with decent DIY drivers (ala speakerlab kits) to offer demo's either plugged up to their van or for those that were "hitting" the residential neighborhoods, they would even bring them in and hook them up to your system. Then when you buy them they would, of course, give you a BRAND NEW pair in the box.

So my roomy, being the kind of guy he was, acted all excited when they came around and invited them in to hook up their demos to see how they sounded in our system... and they actually did sound pretty good for average floorstanders.. He then called me over and had me go next door after listening to them and acting impressed to get our neighbor, a buddy, to come check them out as he might want a set as well.....

I let the neighbor in on what we were doing.

So my buddy haggles and haggles and eventually pops out 4 $20s, and says thats all he has,.. but he promises not to tell the neigbor what he paid. So then when our neighbor, the just off duty and still in uniform police officer comes strolling over, my buddy tells the Vanners, "Thanks, these are awesome and I dont even want to bother going through setting these up so I'll just keep these scratched up demos so you can use a fresh pair to impress our neighbor." When they started arguing that they HAD to sell him new ones, and needed the demos back,.. My roomy put on the show of "Wait, we had a deal on THESE speakers, I already paid you, those are my speakers,... are you trying to steal MY speakers?? this right when our neighbor and I were walking up the drive... Needless to say, they left quickly and frustrated..

And we actually ended up with some pretty nice speakers for the garage and outside parties... Not to mention a funny story and a genuine sense of "HAH!!"

Not to say that this is still the case (this was in the early 90s) but it may be a possibility for some of the differences in speakers.. It really isnt that hard to pop out crap drivers, toss in some batting/insulation and some good drivers/crossovers designed for a similar sized cabinet and have them sound "ok" (also an idea anyone who gets cheated by these crooks.. sometimes the cabinets are pretty standard sizes and if decent MDF, and good glue job.. you might can find some super cheap drivers /crossovers to replace them... just be sure to get a complete kit from something with a similar design, and dont spend any real money on on it expecting it to be a great speaker.)

I think my old roommate still has those speakers hanging in his garage.. (he sells Professional projection and AV systems now... but those speakers still make him smile..)

BTW,.. first post,. just joined after having simply using this site for reviews for quite some time.

f0rge
03-06-2008, 12:42 PM
haha that's a good story