Anyone hear the Twilight Singers latest? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear the Twilight Singers latest?

Davey
12-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Seems to have passed by without much of an impact. Love Greg Dulli and that rock 'n' soul sound. Skipped the covers CD or EP or single or whatever they called it, but had high hopes for the LP. So, what gives? I know our buddies newtrix and tentoze and Dusty are biggies, so what's the scoop? Worthy? And what about the latest drops from Jason Molina, aka Songs:Ohia / Magnolia Electric Co. And Will Oldham? You can even get that one on DVD-A. Give me the scoop guys, I haven't bought any music in ice ages. New Wayne Robbins next year, but give me a new rec, anybody! Something to kick the Woven Hand Califone jones I've been under lately.

And what about the new Honeydogs? Amygdala? Anyone yet? Maybe not out. Need to check. Heard some fans calling it spectacular. That would be nice. Hope it's not as compressed sounding as the last one. Love the music, hate the sound. Oh well.

unleasHell
12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
you mean Twisted Sister?

Davey
12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
you mean Twisted Sister?
You having flashbacks again? Hey, got that Bella Low "Inside Closed Eyes" playing again for the who knows how many times. Nice find. Gothic psychedelia. I like it. Picked up the latest from the High Violets too, which has guitarist Clint Sargent teamed up with vocalist Kaitlyn ni Donovan. Not nearly as interesting, more of a pop shoegaze thing. But still quality. He's got a great guitar sound.

tentoze
12-29-2006, 04:31 AM
If Powder Burns is what yr referring to, I'd pass on it. As much as I like Dulli, and the last couple of TS albums, that one did nothing for me at all. Not sure I've made it through the whole thing after the initial spin. It's noisy and unfocused. The Crane Wife is the best thing I've heard lately (and, yep, I got to it late).

Davey
12-29-2006, 10:44 AM
If Powder Burns is what yr referring to, I'd pass on it.... It's noisy and unfocused.
Thanks for the input, although "noisy and unfocused" sounds right up my alley :)

Haven't heard the Crane Wife yet, but lots of people do seem to like it. Was actually kind of disappointed in the last one after awhile. Kind of got on my nerves a bit. Just wish they would mix his voice a little further back. Still, always interesting music, and sometimes even brilliant. Strange to think of them on a major label now. Woulda never thought it possible with the way the industry was headed a few years ago, but indie is the new big thing, partly due to all those silly new OC-type TV shows from the last couple years or so. Guess that means it isn't indie anymore. Kind of a catch-22 type of conundrum, but someone will work it out.

Latest from Nina Nastasia in the air here, On Leaving. "Brad Haunts a Party". Pretty nice. Don't think it's made the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack yet :rolleyes:

We don't get around like we used to do
Oh, no

Dusty Chalk
01-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Powder Burns -- only listened to it once.

Do you rock out at all? I forget. Oh, that's right, you're an old fogey, so...not so much. That said, you should try Isis' new one, In The Absence of Truth -- it's just amazing, got lots of post-rock elements to it. I'll let you hear a track...await PM...not this iteration...

unleasHell
01-01-2007, 09:25 PM
You having flashbacks again? Hey, got that Bella Low "Inside Closed Eyes" playing again for the who knows how many times. Nice find. Gothic psychedelia. I like it. Picked up the latest from the High Violets too, which has guitarist Clint Sargent teamed up with vocalist Kaitlyn ni Donovan. Not nearly as interesting, more of a pop shoegaze thing. But still quality. He's got a great guitar sound.

Glad you are liking it, there are four or five songs on it that are just kick-ass, especially that last one after the 4 minutes of silence (what's up with that?), anyway, I have messaged with one of the guys in Bella low, they have a MySpace page.

take care and have a great New year..

Mike
01-03-2007, 09:17 AM
'Twilight As Played By' will always be my favourite it's just so much more soulful than the others and 'She Loves You' was the last one I bought up to this one .

As for the latest I kind of know what Tentoze means, it starts off like that and for me I do skip the odd track now and then, but overall it rocks a fair bit and I think you would like it. Mid way through it starts to open up to more familiar TS sounds which make it more enjoyable for me.

I'd still put it behind 'As Played By' but a lot closer than I first thought.

Cheers
Mike