B&W DM604 S3 vs KEF iQ9? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W DM604 S3 vs KEF iQ9?

hugh9269
12-28-2006, 12:53 PM
New member! I am putting together a nice entry system. I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS Receiver and want to add some 3 way speakers to go with my smaller B&W 600i for the rear. I plan on buying a center channel and sub down the road.

Both speakers sound quite good after listening a few times each. Opinions on quailty, features and sounds would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Carl Reid
12-28-2006, 01:05 PM
You have lot's of options... both speakers have their fans....

But since you like the sound of both, rather than pointing you to the many other speakers you could consider in your price range.... I'd suggest get the DM604s simply because you alreaady have 600i... so just to ensure that your HT sounds similar/the same all around...

Cuz, if you get speakers that don't integrate well with your existing 600i, then you'll just end up spending additional money to replace the 600i later on...

emorphien
12-28-2006, 05:43 PM
I agree with Carl (hey, I'm a Carl too). If you like the B&Ws then having them match your existing B&Ws would be nice. I'm not the biggest B&W fan and I'd say look elsewhere first, but since you like them and already have some, I'd say go for it.

bubbagump
12-28-2006, 05:59 PM
I'd have to agree - if you like both and already have B&W in the mix, I'd probably go B&W. Having said that, I have a pair of IQ9's and am very impressed with the sound. By way of comparison, I also have a pair of Legacy Classics. Surprisingly, the midrange characteristics are very similar. The Classics have a little more breath and are a little warmer than the IQ9's but the IQ9's are more coherent and image better. The build quality of the IQ9's is very impressive. The cabinets pass the knock test, are beautiful and very well made. I could easily live with the IQ9's as my only speakers as long as ther is a sub involved.