Modest Mouse live last night! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Modest Mouse live last night!

Davey
02-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Hey, stayed up last night (actually early this morning) to see Modest Mouse on the Carson Daly show, which comes on after Conan on NBC and they were fantastic. Carson said it was their first network TV appearance and the audience was loaded with young MM fans. And MM didn't play it safe at all. They played a new song that has much of the same appeal of the best songs on The Lonesome Crowded West, great riff coupled with moments of discordant noise and time shifts and lots of power and crazy lyrics. Think something like "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine". The drummer was a big presence too. Really glad to see this as it should mean that at least part of the new album will be returning closer to this sound, although I've heard the album is gonna be pretty diverse.

If you have a fast connection I just saw that the performance is available at least for now at http://homepage.mac.com/jcafaro/modestmouse/ but I haven't watched it so don't know exactly what you'll see. Carson Daly is a real waste of time, but the show only runs a half hour so it wasn't much of a problem for me to watch something else and just check back every few minutes until the start of MM. The clip should just be MM.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/modestmouse.jpg

Jefferson
02-11-2004, 09:10 AM
I like that tune, that was the first encounter with them I've had, I might just have to check them out. Any recomendations Davey?

Davey
02-11-2004, 09:17 AM
I like that tune, that was the first encounter with them I've had, I might just have to check them out. Any recomendations Davey?
The Lonesome Crowded West is one of my favorites of the last ten years or so, but I do really like The Moon & Antarctica a lot too. But The Lonesome Crowded West is the one to start with. It's not all brilliance, and sometimes it's even hard to tell what parts are and what parts aren't, but every time I hear it I like it more and more. It's way too long at around 75 minutes and suffers some for that because there is definite filler. But if that's the price for adventurousness in music, I'll gladly pay it. Indispensable for now. At one time I made a CD-R of my favorites from the last two albums and played that a lot at first, but then found that I kinda missed some of that stuff I call filler. So now I just listen to the original CDs.

Dave_G
02-11-2004, 09:20 AM
I don't care for Modest Mouse but I like your Avatar a lot.

Dave