New Starcastle [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Starcastle

Mr Peabody
12-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I know Starcastle gets mixed feelings here at AR but I just received an email from ProgRock records announcing a new Starcastle album, new material, will be released on their label. Another surprise in this day and time is that all the original members, accept the bass player who died, will be involved on the album. I didn't realize they had 4 albums out from the 70's.

http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=70>http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=70

3-LockBox
12-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm actually intersted in this, having recently purchased (well, within the last year anyway) their first three albums. I liked the first two, but the third one was a dog.

I hope they put out a good one, but I heard (read) that they have a different lead singer now. I hope they're not going to try to be original or anything ;)

Let us know how it sounds.

BarryL
12-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Yep. Four albums from the 70s. The first two have some classic prog tunes. Were they derivative? Hell yes. But they were great nonetheless. Too bad the boys at CBS wanted them to become a pop band, which is why the second and third album are full of useless short cuts. There are some good songs on their third album, which was produced by Roy Thomas Baker, who you may recall produced those big sounding Queen albums named after Marx Brother movies. If I recall, the fourth album was a big stinker. It even had a black and white cover.

I bought a solo CD released by the drummer a few years back which wasn't great, but did have a bit of that old Starcastle feel to it. It was full of six to eight minute songs, so I would expect their new album to be more like their first two albums than their last two.

I can't wait to order mine!

Mr Peabody
12-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Did the link to the album work? They write up said something about them trying to be a bit more modern on the new album, so it will be interesting to see the final product. I believe the release date was sometime in 1/07.

blackraven
01-02-2007, 05:30 PM
I can't beleive that they are still around. I bought one of their albums back in the mid 70's.