wow..forgot how good that album was... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : wow..forgot how good that album was...

nobody
12-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Been listening to a couple albums that I had played a ton in the past but hadn't pulled out much recently and was really struck by just how good they are and how well, to my ears anyway, they have held up.

Probably hadn't played <b>U2: War</b> from start to finish in a few years, but that's just one great album from start to finish. everyone remembers Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's day, but songs that were relatively smaller hits like Two Hearts Beat As One, 40, and Surrender are every bit their match. I know lots of people prefer Joshua Tree or another album, but to me, War is what U2 sounds like. I'd forgotten just how good this band was at a point in time.

After that, an album that I often will play a track or two off but hadn't really listened closely in a long time was <b>Love & Rockets: Express</b>. Again, hits like Ball Of Confusion and Kundulini Express are great songs, but stuff like Yin And Yang The Flowerpot Man and both versions of All In My Mind are simply fantastic. Take something if you need to and sit back and just let this album swirl around you. I guess my age sees me playing the more laid back Earth, Sun, Moon more often, but I think I may need to change my habits with this band and return this one to the top of my Love & Rockets list where it sat for many a year.

So...who else has grabbed something they hadn't heard for a while and gotten all ga ga over it again? I can't be the only one.

Slosh
12-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Had some friends over and they didn't want to hear stuff they didn't know so we spun:
Nirvana - Bleach (first time in at least ten years for me), Alice In Chains - s/t, and the debut Days Of The New album. I had forgotten how well recorded the last two are.

After that I threw on my 2006 YEC and it actually went over surprisingly well. Maybe it was just the beer :D

nobody
12-28-2006, 08:46 AM
good move...get 'em drunk first

Duds
12-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I pulled out Rush "Caress of steel" and "Hemispheres" this past week. Two great albums. The Necromancer is a killer tune.

Mr MidFi
12-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Using the "Shuffle Albums" setting on my iPod produces this (very welcome) effect for me on a nearly daily basis. Just yesterday, I listened to Elvis Costello's Armed Forces all the way through for the first time in over a year. Every single song (with maybe one or two exceptions) is a freakin' masterpiece of songcraft.

NP: The Jayhawks, Hollywood Town Hall

GMichael
12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I pulled out Rush "Caress of steel" and "Hemispheres" this past week. Two great albums. The Necromancer is a killer tune.

A friend of mine asked me which Rush CD's he should get. So I've been listening to them in order for the last few weeks. I'm up to Power Windows. So far they have all brought back memories. Not only of how good they are, but of concerts, and of friends I knew back when. It's been like a trip down memory lane. Middle school, high school, college, jobs, parties, girls, women........

Jim Clark
12-28-2006, 02:07 PM
I really liked both War and Boy from U2 and had been without either for eons. Christmas Eve I got a bunch of vinyl back from my brother and they both had that effect on me. There was a time when I really liked that band a great deal.

Others had the opposite effect. All of my Led Zepplin albums failed to impress me much. Luckily my boys appreciate them much more than me so they're being put to good use. I even gave the oldest a TT for his birthday.

I could run a vinyl jackpot thread on all of the great albums that just reappeared. It's been a lot of fun.

Now off for some Mortal Micronotz.

jc

ForeverAutumn
12-28-2006, 05:15 PM
A friend of mine asked me which Rush CD's he should get. So I've been listening to them in order for the last few weeks.

I did that with Pink Floyd last year. Every album in chonological order. It was a blast!

As for rediscoveries...I spun Queen's A Night At The Opera earlier this year, for the first time in several years, and it just blew me away. Aside from being tired of Bohemian Rhapsody, the arrangements on this CD are still brilliant IMO.

GMichael
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
As for rediscoveries...I spun Queen's A Night At The Opera earlier this year, for the first time in several years, and it just blew me away. Aside from being tired of Bohemian Rhapsody, the arrangements on this CD are still brilliant IMO.

Ya know, I had this on 8-track, casset and LP, but for the life on me, I can't find that I ever bought the CD. Hmmmm.... I wonder if the stores are still open.

-Jar-
12-29-2006, 06:27 AM
I don't have a whole lot to say, so I'll just list a few that have been getting a lot of spins.

Menthol - DANGER! ROCK SCIENCE... man, this album trumped the whole 80's revival scene by about 2 or 3 years, unfortunately, Capitol missed the boat, so Menthol had to re-record it and release it themselves. Major homage to old New Order, Gary Numan, and the Cars.. the tune "Strange Living" - my current fave spin - is the best toon Ultravox never wrote.. I doubt they would have come up with the lyrics:

"Sometimes due to hardships in my life, I've been driven, to depend upon the generosity of older alcoholic women, well it's.. strange livin'.. I wish that you could have been mine, kitten.. If you were young, I could tell you about the state I'm in, and you could be my cocteau twin.. for a while.. and we could live in style.."

Guided by Voices - ISOLATION DRILLS - don't know why I didn't pick up on GBV until well into the 00's.. but man, Pollard writes some friggin catchyass songs, just when I think I've found my favorite ("Chasing Heather Crazy", "Blimps go 90" or "Surgical Focus"), there's another song waiting in the wings to take its place (currently: "The Brides Have Hit Glass").. ISOLATION DRILLS cements into place all that was great about GBV's indie rawk years and revs up the production, but not too slick as to be sell out.. very crunchy, stylin' riffs and camn datchy toonz.. ISO DRILLS is the one to check out if you haven't heard them yet.

-jar

bobsticks
12-29-2006, 06:32 AM
No argument with either U2 or L&R. My list is pretty pedestrian and reasons for inclusion vary. I suspect with some it has to do with recording levels, some are no longer styles of music on my regular diet and some I just plain overlook too often.

1)Sade~Stronger Than Pride

2)The Cult~Electric

3)Sisters Of Mercy~Floodland

4)The Rolling Stones~Tatoo You

5)James~Lush

Those are just a few off the top of my head and, obviously, I am in a "rock mood". I'm sure if I were in a "jazz mood" or a "classical mood" that different suggestions would be at the forefront of my thinking. It occurs to me that Operation:Mindcrime 2 prompted me to revisit Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime and it was more enjoyable than I remembered as well.

BarryL
12-29-2006, 07:57 AM
So...who else has grabbed something they hadn't heard for a while and gotten all ga ga over it again? I can't be the only one.

I'm a big Flower King fan, and was watching their latest DVD the other day. The one thing I forget to do is to go back to the original Flower King, the first Roine Stolt solo album from 1994, titled The Flower King.

This is a great album from start to finish.

Another one is the first Amanda Marshall album. Every song is great, with great vocals by Amanda.

Swish
12-29-2006, 10:00 AM
...the other night for some friends.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Califone - Roots & Crowns
Manitoba - Up in Flames
Guillemots - Through the Windowpane
Kid Dakota - The West is the Future
The Chameleons - Strip
Bark Psychosis - Hex
Hot Tuna - The Very Best of...Keep on Truckin'

Swish

Dusty Chalk
01-01-2007, 04:19 PM
All the time, dude. Recently revisited Jean-Michel Jarre's Equinoxe.
I did that with Pink Floyd last year. Every album in chonological order. It was a blast!Do it again in reverse chronological order. I especially love the sequence from The Wall to Meddle.

ForeverAutumn
01-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Do it again in reverse chronological order. I especially love the sequence from The Wall to Meddle.

In reverse, eh? Is that like playing them backwards? Will I hear messages from The Devil? :devil:

Dusty Chalk
01-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Nonono, don't play them backwards. Play the albums forwards, but in reverse chronological order. For example, when I did it, the first track is that fanfare-ish "In The Flesh", and the last track was "Echoes"/"Echos"/however it's spelled. In your case (skip the live albums), you'd start with the wonderful "Cluster One", and end with "Bike". It'd be a trip.

You might hear messages from Santa as a result, but I would just stop spinning around in the middle of the room until the feeling goes away.