Turntable Advice for cheapskate [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Advice for cheapskate

Lo-Fi
12-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Howdy Folks,

I am getting back into the groove with vinyl after 18 years of only CD's. I'm wondering if its worth fixing an old turntable I got or get a new one.

I recently inherited a Dual 1019 stacker, I like it but the quick release headshell needs repair that I'm too inept to do (one of the contacts is faulty as sound cuts in & out of right channel), it needs a new cartridge, needs single play spindle, otherwise all features seem to work fine. Its from 1967 and I'm sure its hasn't been serviced since the early 70's if ever and its been sitting completely unused since the late 80's. I could easily get the headshell fixed and put a new cartridge in but I'm worried (actually my wallets worried) that it would just become a machine that something new would go wrong every few months meaning it would be better to get a complete overhaul now but that would cost over $200 with shipping considered plus some more for the cartridge and spindle.

I've also been eyeballin an Audio Technica AT-PL120 which I'm guessing is a poor mans Technics SL-1200. The AT sells for a little over $200. I'm pretty sure that if setup right it will sound "good enough" for me but I'm more curious as to its build quality and reputation. Any comments on this model from you pros?

I'm not going to be a heavy vinyl user just a semi-crazed enthusiast whose looking to spin the old collection as well pick up a few new lp's here and there. Did I mention that I'm cheap? :cornut:

nobody
12-28-2006, 07:43 AM
I've not heard one, but I do have my eye on this as a possible econo second table to toss in my bedroom...

<a href="http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id=112960">Denon DP-300F</a>

Won't cost you much more than what it would be to refurb what you've got and it includes a cartridge and a phono output if you need that as well.

Just something to think about.

Mr Peabody
12-28-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not familiar with that model of Dual but if you can get the headshell for not much expense, just do that. I had an old Pioneer PL25 that quit working in the 80's. I bought a new fancy Technics quartz locked etc., I took the cartridge off the Pioneer and put it on the Technics and realized that those who say the sound of the turntable is all in the cartridge is full of crap. I returned the Technics and put the Pioneer in the repair shop. Here's the point of this story, after getting the Pioneer fixed it worked for several more years without any problems and that included several moves. It was still working up to the point I sold it around 2000 after upgrading to a Rega Planar 3. The PL25 was a manual table though, yours has few more moving parts. Still, being the cheapster you are, I'd say getting the headshell is a smart way to go. If you have problems later, then, cut bait, but if everything else is working, don't give up now.

squeegy200
12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Nobody brings up a good point.

Does your current system have a phono input?

If not --you will also have to consider the cost of a phono stage into your budget.

Lo-Fi
12-28-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm using a Pioneer SX-525 which does have phono input. The Dual makes a humming noise which I guess is due to the direct drive, doesn't seem to be the Pioneer as other inputs don't do that. Hmmm, maybe I should look at belt drive only.

Thanks nobody, I'll take a closer look at the Denon.

Mr Peabody
12-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Did you connect the ground wire? The turntable should be only plugged into the "phono input" and you should have 2 RCA connectors and a ground wire from the table. Close to the phono input you should see a screw that says "grnd", connect the wire there. If you haven't done this, doing so, should eliminate the noise. If you have already done this, my guess, is that it is caused by the problem headshell. Direct Drive should not cause the audible noise you describe. The wiring to the cartridge is very sensitive and not difficult to cause noise there.

Lo-Fi
12-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Yep, the ground wire is in. I'm heading out the door now but I'll check to see if maybe it slipped out or something when I get back.

The stacker spindle makes me chuckle. It works but damn do those records slam down hard. Anyone know where I can get a single play spindle?

Mr Peabody
12-28-2006, 01:11 PM
You might try needledoctor.com or amusicdirect.com

Lo-Fi
12-28-2006, 05:31 PM
The ground wire was fine, its got to be the faulty contact in the headshell, the hum turns into a loud buzz when you touch the tonearm. I think I'll fiddle with the Dual as time permits and get a new turntable to use now without hassle.

Mr Peabody
12-28-2006, 09:00 PM
If you can stretch your budget, Rega, ProJect & Music Hall all offer turntables starting at $299.00 with cartridge. I think any of these would provide some good vinyl sound.

SlumpBuster
12-28-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm not going to be a heavy vinyl user just a semi-crazed enthusiast whose looking to spin the old collection as well pick up a few new lp's here and there. Did I mention that I'm cheap? :cornut:

I can recommend the AT deck precisely for the reason stated above. I won't call it a giant killer, but its getting right up there. It is a monster deck. Heavy as hell with a boatload of features. IMHO the only thing holding it back is the supplied cartridge. But get a Sumiko Oyster or Grado Black for $50 bucks and you'll be happy as a clam. I think it is an underrated deck.

My fear is that if you get a minimalist deck like the Music Halls, Goldrings, and Regas you will be turned off by the sometimes fussy tinkering required. For alot a newbies (or returnies in your case) those minimalist decks can sometimes make you remember why you gave up LPs in the first place. However, the AT or its Technics grand daddy are feature rich convienent. They can make you say "Why did we ever give up LPs in the first place." The AT even has a built in phono preamp. :D

Make no mistake though. For overall "audiophile" sound quality, there are simple rules I follow:
1. The less parts the better.
2. The heavier the platter the better.
3. The heavier the plinth, the better.
4. The simpler the tone arm the better.
5. Don't fear using an outboard phono preamp (advise I admittedly don't follow myself)
6. Finally, you can't put too much of your budget into the cart. i.e.the Music hall MMF 5 comes with $250 Goldring cart, but the whole deck retails for $650. That is a good cost ratio, IMHO.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding.

Lo-Fi
12-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the advice Mr Peabody and Slumpbuster!! :)

It looks like the AT is an ok deck to get restarted with.

Mr Peabody
12-29-2006, 08:41 AM
There is a DVD available on setting up turntables for about $29.00. I think it was done by Michael Fremer. I know www.amusicdirect.com carries it.

That's good info on the AT, I wasn't aware of this table before. Especially, the low set up factor and built in preamp. Do you know if sound quality is comparable to the other tables I mentioned? I'll keep the AT in my file for future references to friends for consideration.

SlumpBuster
12-29-2006, 09:51 AM
That's good info on the AT, I wasn't aware of this table before. Especially, the low set up factor and built in preamp. Do you know if sound quality is comparable to the other tables I mentioned?

It even has this neato little light that pops out of the plinth when you queue the record. :D

I don't think the sound quality is probably comparable to Rega, Project or Music Hall. To me the table is the least important link in the chain. Cart, stylus, arm, preamp all come before to the table. But, conversely the table is the foundation, and if its noisey, the cart, arm and preamp won't save you. And to be perfectly honest, when I did get to use that AT I did not check for noise and rumble from the deck. I don't actually have much a a golden ear for that sort of thing and need to use headphones to determine if a deck is rumbly.

But as far as I could determine the AT is in fact a Technics 1200 clone at a fraction of the price.

Feanor
12-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Howdy Folks,

I am getting back into the groove with vinyl after 18 years of only CD's. I'm wondering if its worth fixing an old turntable I got or get a new one.
:cornut:

If you're a hardcore cheapskate like me, checkout used Technics TTs on eBay. I recently bought an SL-D2 direct drive with standard mount, detachable headshell. I slightly over paid at $86, but I'm well pleased with the performance.

Technics probably made more TTs than anyone else back in the day, and knew how to deliver a high value product. I'd suggest looking for a quartz-controlled direct drive model with S-shaped tonearm and the 1/2" mount, detachable headshell. Most later models had a straight tonearm utilizing a P-mount (T4P) cartridge; these are much easier to set up, but I prefer the greater choice of standard, 1/2" cartridges.

Check out these sources of vintage Technics info:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library.php?make=Technics
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/turntables.htm

Robb
12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
I have had one of those ATs for about 2 years and have enjoyed it very much. At Mr. Slump's suggestion, I upgraded the factory DJ cart and experienced a big improvement in clarity, detail and frequency response. I have isolated it with vibrapods, added a thick rubber mat from KAB, and recently added an inexpensive outboard preamp from NAD, all of which improved sound in varying degrees for relatively little added investment. Though I can't attest to the sound of the other tables mentioned in this thread, I would highly reccomend the AT for the budget minded, as I am. Good Listening and Happy New Year to all!

Lo-Fi
12-30-2006, 04:31 AM
I bought the AT yesterday, I'll let you guys know how it goes after it arrives next week.

Robb, glad to hear you like your AT! I'll make a list of the added extras you got for future upgrading.

Now its time look for new sleeves and get to cleaning the records that need it.

Mr Peabody
12-30-2006, 08:20 AM
You sound like you aren't a complete newbie at this but keep in mind the AT has a built in phono preamp. It probably has a bypass or on/off switch, if the built in phono stage is on you must use a regular AUX input. If you can bypass it, then you can use your receivers phono stage. It would be interesting to compare the two paths to see which sounds better. Have fun!

hifitommy
12-31-2006, 10:11 AM
even though you went for the AT table, you can refurb your 1019 and then have two good TTs. here is a site useful for dual users:

http://dual-reference.com/

lots of info and help available here. good luck and have fun.

royphil345
01-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Congrats Lo-Fi!!! I haven't heard the AT table, but I've Had my eye on it for awhile as a very strong value, especially for those who wish to play 78s without restoring an old table or spending a fortune. Many satified buyers.

A heavy rubber mat is a must when using a direct drive as a home hi-fi table. I have a couple extras from old tables that are about the same size and weight as my Technics SL-1200 MKII mat. I'd be happy to send you one if you send your address in a private message or e-mail royphil345@yahoo.com

Mr Peabody
01-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Hey, what website shows this AT table and remind me again the model number, please. I didn't realize it played 78's. I know a guy who may be looking for a table for 78's and the ones I've found so far have been preety high. I could show him this as a less expensive option. Do you think the AT would still need 2 carts, one for 78 and the other for 33? What type of mount is the AT? Thanks

jrhymeammo
01-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey, what website shows this AT table and remind me again the model number, please. I didn't realize it played 78's. I know a guy who may be looking for a table for 78's and the ones I've found so far have been preety high. I could show him this as a less expensive option. Do you think the AT would still need 2 carts, one for 78 and the other for 33? What type of mount is the AT? Thanks

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/c2b92193a60be297/index.html

royphil345
01-01-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00012EYNG/ref=s9_asin_title_1/104-9267590-1345501

It takes a standard 1/2" mount cart. Takes standard removable headshells for a S-shaped tonearm. (Technics 1200 style included).

As far as I can tell, there is no 78 stylus available for the cart that comes with it. A separate headshell with a dedicated 78 cart would give the best results. You could also just go with any cartridge 78 styli are available for (Ortofon, Shure, lpgear.com sells a 78 stylus for the AT95E, but it's not made by AT http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC95E).... and simply change the stylus for 78 play.

There are no strobe markings for the 78 speeds. There was a program for printing out strobe disks on the web that I tried and it worked well.

Lo-Fi
01-01-2007, 03:35 PM
even though you went for the AT table, you can refurb your 1019 and then have two good TTs. here is a site useful for dual users:

http://dual-reference.com/

lots of info and help available here. good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the link. I would like to get the Dual in full operation as being able to flip a switch and not having to worry about picking up the needle would be nice sometimes.

hifitommy
01-01-2007, 03:44 PM
my sota/mmt and kd500/707 but the pio PLL1000a is a blessing sometimes because it lifts and returns.

i didnt look at your profile to see where you live but if it were here in LA, the repair would be easy. i hope you can get the headshell you need andget the 1019 working. i lusted after one and only eded up with a 1215, a much lesser dual. i then went in different directions.

suggestion: if you can get more headshells, buy a few, then you can mount a number of different cartridges for different moods/needs. that goes for the at as well. i enjoy being able to quickly switch carts for differnt capabilites or to put on a lesser cart when company is coming with kids or something.

Dusty Chalk
01-01-2007, 11:42 PM
A friend of mine recently got the Rega P1 and he's in love. He says it's extremely easy to set up -- practically plug'n'play -- an excellent choice for an entry level system (which is a fancy way of saying "cheapskate").

Lo-Fi
01-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Got the AT on Tuesday. All is well with the unit and I'm a happy camper. The supplied cartridge sounds pretty darn good on my budget system. I'll probably upgrade later but it'll do just fine for now.

The first record ever played on it was the Death Wish II soundtrack, how many people can claim that!

Question, The recommended tracking force is 3.0 to 5.0 grams for the supplied cart, I set it at 3 and it tracks right thru every just fine so far. Is it best to try several different settings to see which sounds best?

Now that I'm in vinyl heaven what maintenance gizmos are needed? I've got sylus brush on my list, I do have a record brush left over from the old days but I think its well past its prime.

jrhymeammo
01-04-2007, 06:59 AM
I recommend you to get a carbonfibre Rbrush. AudioQuest makes one for $20, but dont be a fool like me. You can get one for around $10 if you search it on google. I think it was somelike garage-a-record.

3 grams of tracking force is not acceptable. ABUSE!!!!!! well they are your records, so you can do however you please. If I remember correctly, 1 gram of VTF is equal to 2 tons of pressure per square inch. You may want to do your records a favor and get a cheap cartridge that'll track around 1.5g. I wouldnt decrease the VTF with your cart since it was designed to track at 3-5 grams.
Try this link
http://www.needledoctor.com/Closeouts;jsessionid=ac112b2a1f43b505c47ccd164a698 872ca601a547630.e3eSbNyQc3mLe34TbNuObxmRaNn0n6jAml jGr5XDqQLvpAe

There is a Sumiko Oyster for $30. I hated that cart, but everyone has a different taste. Maybe it's for you.

J-Murda

Feanor
01-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Got the AT on Tuesday. All is well with the unit and I'm a happy camper. The supplied cartridge sounds pretty darn good on my budget system. I'll probably upgrade later but it'll do just fine for now.

The first record ever played on it was the Death Wish II soundtrack, how many people can claim that!

Question, The recommended tracking force is 3.0 to 5.0 grams for the supplied cart, I set it at 3 and it tracks right thru every just fine so far. Is it best to try several different settings to see which sounds best?

Now that I'm in vinyl heaven what maintenance gizmos are needed? I've got sylus brush on my list, I do have a record brush left over from the old days but I think its well past its prime.

If so, then it's probably designed to take abuse itself, but at the expense of your records and sound quality to some extent.

There's been buzz around here about Denon moving coil cartridges suitable for higher mass tonearms such as the AT's.

DL-103, low output, around $150
DL-110, high output, around $120The latter doesn't require an MC-capable phono preamp.

squeegy200
01-04-2007, 10:07 AM
If you are attempting to stay on the budget side of the spectrum, I would suggest exploring the Grado Prestige Black. The Grado Black cartridge has a recommended tracking force of only 1-2g. Yet its available thru various online retailers like Needledoctor for a mere $40. It is a moving magnet high output design so you would not need an additional MC setup up phone preamp. It will work with any built-in phone stage.

BTW: There are test records available out there that would assist you in proper setup, alignment, and calibration of your cartridge. A test record would help you find the most musical and least destructive settings regardless of your choice of cartridge.

royphil345
01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new AT!!!

Yeah... The 3 grams+ is a little excessive considering the stylus is elliptical. Many DJ cartridges that track on the heavy side use a conical stylus to reduce record wear. You don't want to track a cartridge lighter than recommended though. Mistracking is worse for records than tracking a little heavy.

You can fine-tune the tracking force by ear. Tracking lighter will emphasize the frequency extremes. Tracking a little heavier will emphasize the mids. You can usually find the "perfect" setting somewhere within the cartridges recommended range. Don't know how much higher than 3 grams I'd want to go...

You can fine-tune the tonearm height in a similar fashion. Having the rear of the tonearm too high will emphasize the highs. To low... The lows will be emphasized... vocals become weak... Just adjust until the sound is balanced and the timing of the music sounds right.

Something like the AT95E or Grado Black could be a little easier on your records and would probably improve sound-quality a bit without breaking the bank. ...Or you could save up for a Denon 110, Ortofon OM 20 Super... Denon 103 with a budget moving coil preamp like the NAD PP-2 or Pro-Ject Phonobox 2...

I got that mat in the mail to you today, so don't go crazy getting the VTA exactly right... You'll just have to set it again with a different mat... LOL :)

Awwww shoot... I could have thrown a stylus brush in the box too... Have quite a collection of them. Many cartridges come with one, and I've been through a few... A Magic Eraser from the grocery store cleaning supplies section is supposed to make an excellent stylus cleaner. You gently lower the stylus onto it and lift it back up a few times. I've just started using this method and it seems to work great. I might as well stick a brush in an envelope for you anyway... That's sure no big deal...

A carbon fiber brush or a velvet brush / fluid system like the Discwasher are both fine for dusting and removing static before playing a record.

jrhymeammo
01-04-2007, 11:39 AM
I got that mat in the mail to you today, so don't go crazy getting the VTA exactly right... You'll just have to set it again with a different mat... LOL :)
Wow, you are too nice Roy. A guy like you deserve a belt-drive:ihih:

Hey Lo-Fi.

If you gotta go cheap on one thing, then let it be your TT(by any means Im not saying that your TT is cheap). Cartridge will mostly impact your sound more than anything else.
BTW, enjoying da hell outta my 301.

J-Murda

royphil345
01-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Wow, you are too nice Roy. A guy like you deserve a belt-drive:ihih:

J-Murda

LOL... :)

Glad you're liking the 301!!! Quite the deal you got on that...

Denon carts rule!!!... and direct drive... LOL

Lo-Fi
01-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up on VTF, looks like a cart change is coming sooner than later. I knew well enough that I would be spending more money right after TT purchase so a new budget cart can be handled. A $100 on up cart would be something considered down the road a bit. small steps, small steps otherwise I'll go :crazy:

Thanks again Roy for the mat.

jrhymeammo
01-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the heads up on VTF, looks like a cart change is coming sooner than later. I knew well enough that I would be spending more money right after TT purchase so a new budget cart can be handled. A $100 on up cart would be something considered down the road a bit. small steps, small steps otherwise I'll go :crazy:

Thanks again Roy for the mat.

Roy, you have touched my heart. And just now I received a PM from Bernd, and he was kind enough to send me silver coated OFC for me to use as jumper cable. For that, I think I will spread my love as well.

Lo-Fi. I have a Grado cartirdge you can have. If you are interested, then send me a private message thru this site.

Pay it Forward? LOL

J-Murda

Lo-Fi
01-05-2007, 06:41 AM
I'm afraid I don't have any audio stuff to reciprocate the kindness here. I do have lots of 8mm & Super 8 cameras/accessories laying around if anyone wants to get into shooting movie film as a hobby, its real fun. :)

royphil345
01-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Nice!!!!!!

jrhymeammo
01-05-2007, 08:43 AM
well, if you are not a old fart like everyone else here, then I'll take some home made porn you have made.:ihih:

Not a problem. I'm all about trying to trick people into thinking vinyl sounds good.

J-Murda

Lo-Fi
01-13-2007, 04:46 AM
Got all the goodies on and adjusted without harm. Pics coming

Wow VTA really does make a difference, even I can hear it. Could fiddle with it hours. :crazy:

One question on anti-skate. I set the VTF and then matched that with the anti-skate. When the needle drops on the edge it zips quickly inward sometimes skipping right thru the first few grooves (ouch). Is this a simple matter of turning the anti-skate up a bit til that stops? Not sure if any harm comes from over compensating this.

royphil345
01-13-2007, 06:09 AM
I've noticed some cartridges hold the beginning groove of records better than others. I remember having 1 or 2 that I had to be real careful setting down at the beginning of a record. You'd probably have to adjust the anti-skate too much in order to make a difference. I hate to tell you this after your "play with it for hours" comment on the VTA... but really the only way to set the ani-skate properly is by ear as well. It effects the right and left channel balance. The timing of the music won't sound right if it's not adjusted exactly right. I wouldn't sweat it too much right now. In time you'll develop an ear for what the different adjustments do... I'd stick with it set pretty close to the VTF force though.

Are you using the Grado from JRA? What tracking force are you using? Most cartridges seem to track better at the middle or top of their range. The tonearrm counterweight zero adjustment is correct ? Does the headshell look twisted to the left or right, causing the needle not to stand straight up in the groove? Oh... and VERY important... Is the turntable perfectly level? Go pick up an inexpensive level if you don't own one.

Good luck!!! Seems like things are coming together nicely for you... Would love to see a pic!!!

Lo-Fi
01-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Are you using the Grado from JRA? What tracking force are you using? Most cartridges seem to track better at the middle or top of their range. The tonearrm counterweight zero adjustment is correct ? Does the headshell look twisted to the left or right, causing the needle not to stand straight up in the groove? Oh... and VERY important... Is the turntable perfectly level? Go pick up an inexpensive level if you don't own one.

Yep the Grado is in!! It said the recommended VTF was 1.5 (didn't see a range) so I went with that. I reset the counterweight to zero after balancing the arm, the headshell looks level and I did spend 20 minutes leveling the turntable :)

royphil345
01-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Hmmmmmmmm.... I wish you screwed something up so I could help..... LOL. Sounds like you have it down though...

Sounds like you've done about all you can. Maybe just the way the cartridge is? It's possible the markings on the anti skate aren't accurate, but I'm not sure how likely. The markings on my Technics seem accurate to well within .1 gram. You could try adding a little extra if it helps....

blackraven
01-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Looks like I have alot to learn about cartriges when I purchase a turntable. 25 years ago all I knew about were the Stanton 681EEE and Sure V series. Those were good cartiges in their time for budget minded people.

JoeE SP9
01-14-2007, 03:07 PM
If I remember correctly HFNRR has a test LP that includes a test signal for setting anti-skate. A grooveless record is a good place to start when setting anti-skate. However, the grooves themselves will change the required amount.

In A Pinch Method
Use an LP with lots of high frequency content.
Set the stylus force at the minimum that will keep the cartridge tracking.
Adjust anti skate for equal mistracking in left and right.
Adjust stylus force for optimum.

The best way is with an LP with test tones and run the signal through an O-Scope.
Adjust anti-skate for equal amplitude and equal visible distortion.:idea:

jrhymeammo
01-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Well, I could never get that thing to work on my deck so I was hoping you could. That stylus should have at least 500 hours left so it cant be too bad. I've also looked at it with a microscope(right before I sent it off), and everything looked good. Grado is supposed to be able to track at 1.0 gram, but I dont think that's cpapable with our sub $1000 deck/arm.

One thing though..
Just because you set your counter-weight to 1.5g, it doesnt mean it is applying force at 1.5. The weight differences in headshells and cartridges will affect the result. The best thing to do is to get a cheap VTF scale made by Shure.

If you can get a test LP like the one JoeE mentioned, then you should find out more info.

Best of Luck to ya.

Lo-Fi
01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Hmmmmmmmm.... I wish you screwed something up so I could help..... LOL.

:hand:

Ok, I'll probably get one of those test lp thingy's in the near future. This anti-skate problem is not that bad, it seems bad on a few records but behaves perfectly normal on most.

Next up is building a butt ugly RCM :yesnod:

As promised a pic!

http://home.comcast.net/~analogbuff/at02.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~analogbuff/at01.jpg

royphil345
01-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the pic!!! Nice lookin' table for about $200.00.

Did you use some sort of tool to set the overhang / align the Grado? That would improve tracking some if you didn't... The inner and outer edges of a record have the most tracking error (needle not quite parallel with the groove walls). If your overhang is set wrong (cartridge mounted too far back or forward in the headshell), it may be contributing to this problem at the beginning of records. A properly aligned cartridge will sound better too.

When I aligned the cartridge on my Technics, the Mobile-Fidelity Geo-Disc I usually use didn't seem to agree at all with the overhang guage that came with the table. The cartridge could not be aligned properly using the Geo-Disc because I couldn't slide the cartridge far enough forward. I ended up using the Technics overhang guage instead. Your table sure seems like an exact copy of the Technics as far as tonearm / headshell size and placement... Overhang is probably standard on these DJ tables to allow for the use of DJ carts with integrated headshells / non-adjustable overhang. Perhaps the Technics SL-1200MKII overhang gauge would be the thing to use for your table if it didn't come with a gauge. KAB has them for $1.50. Listed under sound accessories / original headshell towards the middle of the page. http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm

Lo-Fi
01-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Perhaps the Technics SL-1200MKII overhang gauge would be the thing to use for your table if it didn't come with a gauge. KAB has them for $1.50. Listed under sound accessories / original headshell towards the middle of the page. http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm

Thanks, I'm on it.

lakeside70
01-16-2007, 04:43 PM
You sound like you aren't a complete newbie at this but keep in mind the AT has a built in phono preamp. It probably has a bypass or on/off switch, if the built in phono stage is on you must use a regular AUX input. If you can bypass it, then you can use your receivers phono stage. It would be interesting to compare the two paths to see which sounds better. Have fun!

you touch on an issue that i'm currently having. i have a stanton str8-80 that i recently found out has a preamp inside. i bought a phono preamp not knowing this and was wondering if setting the TT to the "phono" setting would bypass the internal preamp.
as well, this table doesn't have a grounding wire, can i assume its internally grounded?

Lo-Fi
01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
you touch on an issue that i'm currently having. i have a stanton str8-80 that i recently found out has a preamp inside. i bought a phono preamp not knowing this and was wondering if setting the TT to the "phono" setting would bypass the internal preamp.
as well, this table doesn't have a grounding wire, can i assume its internally grounded?

I have mine set to phono and it goes to the phono inputs on my reciever. Mine also has no external ground wire but the sound is clean.

royphil345
01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Yes, the switch is to bypass the built-in preamp. Lo-Fi is using his in the bypassed mode and using the built-in preamp in his receiver instead. Many receivers don't have phono inputs these days, hence the need for a preamp...

Everything is probably grounded to the grounds on the turntable's interconnects. A separate ground wire would generally end up attached to the same metal surface the ground portions of the RCA jacks make contact with anyway. This will work fine with 99% of equipment.

Using an outboard phono stage should improve the sound if it's high enough quality. A "cheapie" may sound the same or even worse.

royphil345
01-17-2007, 10:42 AM
The Baerwald protractor on this page (first on page) agrees exactly with the results using the Technics alignment tool on my table.

I wanted to recommend this one instead of the Technics tool which will probably work with your table... but you never know... The only downloadable protractor I could find then was different. Looked more like the Geo-Disc that didn't work right with my Technics. Just found this page now...

http://www.vinylengine.com/manuals_tonearm_protractors.shtml

You just work with it until the cartridge lines up with the lines on the protractor no matter which of the two dots the needle is set down on.

Lo-Fi
01-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Cool, I'll give it a try

jrhymeammo
01-17-2007, 04:53 PM
If you feel like you need to replace the stylus, you can always get a Green for about $30. Honestly, the difference between Green and Silver is VERY minimal... Maybe the Green sounds too good as long as it works with TTs.