High Quality 1/4" Extension Cord [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : High Quality 1/4" Extension Cord

jrhymeammo
12-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Whattup, hope everything is all dandy for everyone.

Im in a search for a high quality 1/4" extension cord for my new pair of headphones. I guess what Im looking for needs to be about 8-12 feet long for less than hmmm... $70. The only one that I know is made by Grado, but I couldnt get a spec on their OFC.

If you guys know some others right off of your head, then fire away. That`ll help me decide which one to go with. Thanks again,

JRA

markw
12-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Just get a basic black 20' non-curled extention from RatShack. It just might p;esantly surprise you. Should be < $20.

Later. if you're feeling froggy, blow for the hi bucks version. It may be the last time you do that.

Oh, I use either Sennheiser 580's, Grado SR 80s or Sennheiser 280's, depending on my mood

jrhymeammo
12-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks Mark,

i guess Im getting ahead of myself here, since I`m still away from home. But, I`ve listened to my Audio Technica AD-1000 with alot of gears before making my decision. I listened to them with CEC, Luxman, Creek, and even with SA8001 they had at the store. To me these AT are very capable and I wouldnt want to mate them with bad cables. I guess I would have to try them out see what I`ll like, but I dont wish to waste alot of time and efforts. But I will consider your advice cuz $50 can bring me hours of music.

Thanks again,

JRA

markw
12-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Over the years I've learened that "bad" does not always translate to "inexpensive". Nor does "good" translate to "expensive", particularly where cables are concerned.

jrhymeammo
12-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Over the years I've learened that "bad" does not always translate to "inexpensive". Nor does "good" translate to "expensive", particularly where cables are concerned.

My integrated amp($400) is a great example for me. I bought it used for the about the same price the original owner paid for, and it absolutely destroyed my previous $1300 Rotel. It`s all about finding the right match. I have about 5 pairs of IC at home, and some sounds incredible with particular gears, but absolutely dreadful on others. I`ll try it with RadioShack 1/8" extension that I already have at home and see if it work with my new headphones. It does make my Grado-60 sound grainy though.

Thanks again,

JRA

Dusty Chalk
12-28-2006, 12:42 AM
The Grado is certainly adequate. I'm tempted to get the canare-based one from ... Markertek... I think?