Should I wait for CES 2007 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait for CES 2007

rpatelrr
12-27-2006, 03:14 PM
I am looking to invest in a new DVD player and I was wondering if I should wait until CES 2007 is over and see what kind of products are coming down the road before I buy a new one?

Carl Reid
12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
That depends...

How soon do you need to get a new player?
Do you have an existing one and if so, why do you want to upgrade?

If you're just looking for a simple DVD player, then I don't see much reason to wait, but if you're looking for the latest Blue-Ray/HD Tech, then you would be wise to wait...

elapsed
12-27-2006, 03:29 PM
duplicate post, deleted

elapsed
12-27-2006, 03:29 PM
The hot ticket this year in DVD players is the Silicon Optix HQV chipset. You'll find this already in players released in 2006, such as the Denon DVD-2930CI and up. I would expect more players to introduce this chipset at CES, but for my money I would stick to the Denon.

The even bigger ticket will be the introduction of new HD DVD and Blu-Ray players.

What exactly are you looking for? What is your budget? Anything announced at CES isn't likely to hit the shelves until 2007 Q2, so are you willing to wait 4-5 months?

rpatelrr
12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
I am currently using my Xbox360 as my DVD player. My wife and I just moved this past June into a new apartment and most of our budget went into furnishing the apartment and such (as least she let me buy a new TV, reciever and surround sound). Now my mother has kindly offered to buy us a DVD player as our Xmas present. As for buget, there is none as long as I can justify the expense to my mom. For instance it gives me a better picture, sound or it is built to take advantage of future technologies. I am not looking to buy a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player yet, I will wait to see which format wins out (also my dvd purchasing has been almost zero since I got married). Also here is my setup: 60" Sony SXRD, Sony 5200ES reciever, 2 B&W's 604S3's for fronts, 2 B&W's 601S3's for rears, B&W LCR600 for center and B&W ASW 600 sub. I am looking for a DVD player that has great picture and sound quality. I have looked at Rotel, Denon and Sony ES line. Would there be an great improvement in product quality in the standard DVD player line or would all the companies be putting their money in HD/Blu-Ray DVD players? Should I wait for CES 2007 for what I am looking for?

elapsed
12-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Sounds like what you are looking for is the new Oppo 981. The last generation Oppo 971 was the highest rated budget DVD player on the market. The Oppo will easily keep you going a few years until the HD wars are settled.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

For me personally, the Denon DVD-2930CI is the best pick. This is an outstanding DVD player, and excellent for SACD and CD playback.

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2006/08/denon_dvd2930ci.html

rpatelrr
12-27-2006, 04:22 PM
I am considering the Sony 9100ES. I know that there a better products out on the market than Sony. For me personally, Sony has never done me wrong. I am waiting until we get into a house before I replace my reciever with sperate componets. I looked a Rotel last night I was not that impressed by it to tell you the truth, don't get me wrong it was a nice dvd player but I could not justify the extra money. So you guys don't think there will anything at CES 2007 that would make waiting 4-7 months worth while to buy a DVD player.

edtyct
12-27-2006, 04:41 PM
The Sony backlash seems legitimate, to some extent, for lapses in quality control lately and some draconian business practices, but to the extent that it registers a knee-jerk reaction to a company conceived as a poor excuse for a top dog, it's misplaced. Sony's signature higher-end products take a back seat to no one's. Your SXRD is a case in point, whether it's an XBR or an A2000. If you spring for the 9100ES, you will not be disappointed; few players, no matter how esoteric and pricey, can match it across the board. On a budget, the Oppo is certainly a good buy, and, with a little more money, the Denon 2930 CI is certainly worthy as well. A more exorbitant standard DVD player purchase may be hard to justify with hi def players that cost considerably less on the market. Personally, I find a Toshiba HD DVD deck difficult to pass up in this interim period. Not only is the price right; it also plays standard def DVDs more than adequately while giving a genuine taste of the future.

Dusty Chalk
12-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Actually, image-wise, the XBox360 is pretty dang good. The UI isn't the best, but yeah, I really like Sony pictures...