buyer or non buy regret [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : buyer or non buy regret

flippo
12-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Anybody ever regret an audio purchase or non-purchase? I always regret the time when stationed in Stuttgart Germany I had the chance to purchase a pair of brand new Carver Amazing speakers for 600 dollars with no tax. I am still kicking myself for not doing it since my dream speakers would be of the ribbon variety.

phil

GMichael
12-27-2006, 07:31 AM
I am about to. I want the Strata Mini + SP3 Special w/ FREE pair of Ref .5's that are on sale now as a set for $2k. Next Monday the price on the mini's go up to $2k and this special will be gone.
I have 4 more days to stress over it.

emorphien
12-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Just do it then GMichael.

GMichael
12-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Just do it then GMichael.

AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH.........:incazzato:

:mad5: :mad2:

emorphien
12-27-2006, 08:21 AM
You know you want it, and you'll just be mad if you miss this opportunity. Granted I would imagine that in 6 months the mania surrounding the Mini will die down. People seem to have their noses all up AV123's butt right now.

GMichael
12-27-2006, 08:39 AM
You know you want it, and you'll just be mad if you miss this opportunity. Granted I would imagine that in 6 months the mania surrounding the Mini will die down. People seem to have their noses all up AV123's butt right now.

GGGRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............ :devil:

I'll wait. I am hoping for a review (and some more cash). They'll still be the same $2k. I just won't get the .5's and tube amp at the same time. Just the loss of cash in the long run, but I can still get them.

Quick thread hike: What's the difference between a brown noser and a brown necker?

Depth perception!

basite
12-27-2006, 09:26 AM
not to spoil your idea of getting those strata mini's, but for that price, i'd get myself a magnepan mg1.6, at least, when i was in america, here those maggies cost you €2500 or so, the mg12 comes at €1600,
both are on my wish list btw...

Greetings,
Bert.

GMichael
12-27-2006, 10:33 AM
The 1.6's have been on my short list for a couple of years now. But they are not perfect. Still looking for the holy grail of speakers that will be in my budget. I know, I'd have better luck finding the grail. But if I don't look, then I don't have a chance to find the next best thing.
I'm actually very happy with the sound I have. But these Infinity's are not the most elegant looking speakers. Have you taken a good look at those mini's? And have you seen my HT room. They match perfectly. All I need to know is how they sound. I am hopeful for a review from someone who owns a set of Maggies. That will be a big help. I refuse to be in a hurry this time. The next set of speakers I buy will be my last. (or so I plan) After that it will all be amps & processors.

Now, back on topic. I did buy a Jenson sub a few years back. That was a waist of money.

basite
12-27-2006, 10:51 AM
ooh, forgot, the topic...

dad bought a pair of B&W dm602's a week ago, to have a seperate stereo and surround system (604's and the rotel as stereo, the rest (602's, 601's,... and the yammie for surround) but he was in a rush and ordered them in a wrong color and he didn't realise it until we opened the box, then, of course the value drops and they can't be traded anymore, so our dealer took them in as refurbished and we had to pay €75 extra for the new ones...

stupid, we know, all the rest were pretty good buys, i hope there are alot of good buys following, right now i'm having my eyes on a rotel RHB-10 (it was in the shop, used as a demo model, now it's for second hand-ish, only that price bothers me)

emorphien
12-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Local dealer here doesn't even carry B&W anymore, dumped it for Focal :D

jrhymeammo
12-27-2006, 04:27 PM
It`s a GREAT thing we all hear differently. Cuz if we didnt, this product will never sell.

I`ve caught alot of heat saying this in the past...so I`ll say it again.

GRADO-SR60.

JRA

Feanor
12-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Anybody ever regret an audio purchase or non-purchase? I always regret the time when stationed in Stuttgart Germany I had the chance to purchase a pair of brand new Carver Amazing speakers for 600 dollars with no tax. I am still kicking myself for not doing it since my dream speakers would be of the ribbon variety.

phil

Pretty trivial, fortunately. A few days ago I bought an Entech 203.2 DAC on eBay and paid a relatively high price for it (though not a lot). Today I discovered a Sonic Frontiers Assemblage DAC 1.5 with HDCD on Audiogon and bought it: a bit more expensive but it includes HDCD and is probably a better product overall. Oh well, I'll be able to compare DACs all over the place: my Sony SD-CE775 SACD/CD; my M-Audio Audiophile USB, the Entech, and the Assemblage -- even my old Technics SL-PS70 and my Samsung DVD-HD841. Should keep me busy!

I'll flog the loser as between the Entech and Assemblage but at a loss no doubt.

Carl Reid
12-27-2006, 05:52 PM
I'll wait. I am hoping for a review (and some more cash). They'll still be the same $2k. I just won't get the .5's and tube amp at the same time. Just the loss of cash in the long run, but I can still get them.

Based on the prices on their website that sounds like an amazing deal... you'd save over a grand if you bought that package...

If you can scrounge up the cash now, I'd say go for it! Forget waiting on a review, since you get a 30 day in-home-trial (right?)... so if you're not satisfied just send it back...

Carl Reid
12-27-2006, 10:40 PM

phil

I regret getting a NAD Integrated Amp and CD Player 2 years ago... not because they are bad products but because they just weren't the right match to the Mission Speakers I purchased with them.... So I found my setup relatively accurate but somehow lifeless (if that makes any sense)...

anyway, when I had initially auditioned the Missions, I heard them driven by some cheaper Yamaha stereo receiver/CD player combo and thought they were the best thing in the store... so I figured that the more expensive and respected NADs would be an even better complement to the Missions... and boy was I wrong...

So I could have saved a few bucks at the time and got the inferior Yamaha to start and had some more life in my music these last two years....

GMichael
12-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Based on the prices on their website that sounds like an amazing deal... you'd save over a grand if you bought that package...

If you can scrounge up the cash now, I'd say go for it! Forget waiting on a review, since you get a 30 day in-home-trial (right?)... so if you're not satisfied just send it back...

I hear ya. But my choices are:

1) Buy the insulation we need to finish our basement now. (saving on heating)
2) Buy the wife the washer she wants. (the old one keeps destroying things)
3) Say screw everything we need so that I can have what I want now.

Although number 3 may save me money in the long run, I'd rather pay more money when money is not as much of an issue.
I'm going to go with 1 & 2 and leave number 3 for another day.

I HATE BEING SENSIBLE! :incazzato:
:mad5: IT ROTS! :mad2:

But my day will come.

SlumpBuster
12-28-2006, 10:07 PM
I was forever turned off of B&W speakers because of their attrocious "2000" series. I was unfortunate enough to waste money on a pair of 2001 bookshelves while I was in college.
http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFile/speakerModel/DONE-product_info2001.pdf

This was a bargain basement product range for B&W and they do not slum it well. Their lazy design is exemplified by the 2004 model, which is apparently two 2001 models stacked end to end with the hole for the tweeter serving double duty as a port when it's mirror image appears on the bottom of the speaker.
http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFile/speakerModel/DONE-product_info2004.pdf

On top of that, they sounded horrible. Had no power handling. And bogus sensitivity ratings. At best they were hitting 90-93db just before they bottomed out with an audible slap.

I swapped a pair of Boston Acoustics HD 5 for them. What a mistake. I still see HD5s going for half their retail price on ebay over ten years later, yet never see the 2000s for sale.