Anthem AVM-50 question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anthem AVM-50 question

Rock789
12-26-2006, 10:47 PM
I am still trying to figure everything out, so I may have just missed something...

how does one set the avm-50 to convert a composit in signal (for the VCR) to an s-vid signal out (going to an older tube tv which does not have component)...

I am able to get dvd's to work with s-vid, but this is using an s-vid signal to the avm-50 from the dvd player...

does the avm-50 have the ability do do what I am trying, or do I need to run a composit cable to this tv?

thanks,
Mike

elapsed
12-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Product Specs: "Video Transcoding – Allows S-Video and Component Video inputs to be digitally processed and enhanced, then routed through Component Video and HDMI™ outputs."

I also checked the manual and didn't see any mention of scaling Composite. Seems rather odd for such a high end processor. You may want to call Anthem directly to ask.

For now your only option might be to run seperate Composite Video cabling, or purchase a converter.

Also, I'm really rather curious - why on earth did you purchase an AVM-50? You're not going to be using any of its video processing capabilities with an old CRT. The AVM-40 offers identical audio processing features, and costs $1,000 less. ;)

Rock789
12-27-2006, 09:30 AM
I also found no info for any composit video, and will have to call Anthem shortly...

I have been looking for a projector, but have yet to find the right one...
I found a good deal on this AVM-50 which has everything I want for the projector...
I was actually looking at the AVM-30, which would work perfect for me if I was going to keep this old tv...

Rock789
12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
ok, sorta cheap fix
got a composit to s-vid convertor cable from radioshack for $40

Rock789
01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
got ahold of anthem...
apparently the unit does not have a converter from composite up due to the cost of a "high qulaity" converter... and anthem did not want to use a "low quality" converter...

elapsed
01-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I find it hard to believe that a $4,500 processor isn't capable of a simple composite upconversion. It's inexcusable that they haven't included a "high quality" converter in such a high end model, when this is commonly found in receivers at 1/10th the cost.

Rock789
01-12-2007, 12:42 PM
me too!

musicman1999
01-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Rock
How does your avm-50 stack up audio wise.I am looking at a avm-30 as the video processing is of no interest to me.I use JM labs speakers as well.I am really interested in its stereo sound.

thanks

bill

N. Abstentia
01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Don't forget about the Outlaw 990...it's 2 channel sound is incredible.

Rock789
01-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Rock
How does your avm-50 stack up audio wise.I am looking at a avm-30 as the video processing is of no interest to me.I use JM labs speakers as well.I am really interested in its stereo sound.

thanks

bill
the audio is very clear, much better than my denon receiver...
esp on 2 ch music....

I don't believe I have everything set up properly, as the lower frequencies don't seem to be as pronounced as when I used my B&K PT3 on two of the jm labs....
there may be some sort of crossover I need to turn off but I'm not sure?

if you get a chance to audition the avm-30, I would suggest you do so...
I am sure you will be happy with it, but you may want to learn the settings at the shop with a salesperson's help ;o)
also, check out the B&K equpiment ;o)

musicman1999
01-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Rock
Thanks a lot.

bill